no. 40 bus

whishter

I just walked over London Bridge and saw one heading south with "Dulwich Goose Green" on the front, so that may be your answer. I also spent 15 wasted minutes on top of the wasted hour yesterday at the police station stop waiting for a 40 which never came. Didn't know they weren't doing Lordship Lane (TFL website didn't say that yesterday). So I suggest people walk down the Lane as there was no hope of getting on the 176/185 at 7:30 this AM.

Yep 40 starts by grove vale pub. Bit odd there are lots of people standing outside cafe nero waiting for buses that just are not coming-i am sure they must be able to see the 40s lined up outside the texaco garage. Anyway the 40 I got on did not stop til King's, so no chanceof getting on at station. 12s on a strange route too, they are running up and down lship lane empty and "not in service" maybe the 40 route has been changed to avoid congestion on lship lane with all the 12s?

The 12 was running to Peckham Rye yesterday afternoon, at which point the driver told us to take a 197. I walked a bit, got the 363, which took me down Barry Road rather than up Forest Hill Road where I had expected it to go. I'd prefer it if the bus info system would tell me these things, but I have lowered my expectations of British public services over the past ten years. (As a result, I don't spend too much energy whining about how it used to be.)

I find the buses rather amusing at the moment. I get the 78 to work from Peckham Rye and this morning they were turning up every 3-4 minutes instead of 10-15. Saying that, I did wait for the 40 yesterday morning at the stop by the gym and it was a fruitless task, the only bus that stopped was the P13! I walked up to Peckham Rye in the end.

The 12's and 40 normally terminate at Etherow Street. This street and Friern Road is not being used as still thick sheet of ice and traffic is avaoiding the area. Hence 40s terminating at Goose Green- they are resting up either in the bus lane by the petrol station before going round the roundabout, or they are resting outside the Indian restaurant. Buses seem a little better today, managed to get on the fist one that came along (185) and was at Kings within 30 mins ( held up due to road works/temporary lights in Walworth Road). Yesterday I caught the 6th Bus and took an hour to get to work.

trentk69 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> As a side, but of relevance, why is the 363 coming

> down Barry road in the mornings towards Peckham??

> (actually assisted me this morning though)

>

> Anyone know how long that is going to last for?

Was put in place because Southwark hadn't got around to gritting Melford/Wood Vale - there are some tight negotiations of traffic islands on Wood Vale particularly and it was considered that there would very likely be an accident. I was told by TFL that the route should be back to normal tomorrow.

BARA Wrote:

> The 12's and 40 normally terminate at Etherow Street. This street and Friern Road is not being used

> as still thick sheet of ice and traffic is avoiding the area. Hence 40s terminating at Goose Green

Tessa has raised this with Southwark as not gritting a 'minor' road has, in this case, had a wider impact and meant that bus passengers are having to walk from Goose Green to the Plough.

Tessa Jowell (Office)

Contrary to what Sue thinks re the buses as in they are rubbish I think the buses in this area are fantastic and this week (all bar Monday of course) have been my saving grace! With no trains til this morning the bus was able to drop me somewhere to continue my journey to work..

Prior to ED I have always got the train or tube never knowing where to get off on a bus etc but now that they have the announcements I fly all over the place on buses.. The services near our place ie 12, 197, 363, 63 are excellent and I never wait very long..

Even got a 484 to the station this morning as it turned up literally as I was walking past the bus stop and thought it would be rude to not get on.. Also saved me from potentially falling over like a loon on the ice!

BUSES

ALL LONDON BUS SERVICES: Services will be operating on all routes except where road conditions are still dangerous, please see further information for details of services which are not operating or are modified.

Route 12: Diverted via East Dulwich Road, Lordship Lane, Barry Road towards Dulwich Library only.

Route 37 Diverted between Goose Green and Herne Hill Station via Champion Hill and Denmark Hill

Route 40: No service between East Dulwich and Dulwich Library

Route 63 No service between Peckham Rye and Honor Oak Park

Route 64: Curtailed at Parkway (Croydon)

Route 80 No service between Green Wrythe Lane and Hackbridge Reynolds Close.

Route 85: Not serving Alton Road, Putney. Buses are diverted via Roehampton Road and Roehampton Vale.

Route 93 No service between North Cheam (Queen Victoria) and Priory Road.

Route 147 Not serving Dersingham Road southbound, operates via Romford Road and High Street North

Route 166: Not serving Woodmansterne or Banstead.

Route 230 No service between Whipps Cross and Upper Walthamstow.

Route 250: Not serving Green Lane and Parchmore Road. Buses are being diverted via London Road.

Route 277: No service between Billingsgate and Leamouth

Route 283: Diverted northbound between Shepherds Bush Green and White City via Wood Lane, not serving South Africa Road loop. Buses not serving Queen Elizabeth Walk SW13. Terminating at Barnes Pond instead of Wetlands Centre

Route 359 No service

Route 363 Not serving Wood Vale, buses operate via Barry Road and London Road

Route 382 Not serving Palmers Road, Ladderswood Way, New Southgate Station. Operates via Bowes Road.

Route 397 Not serving Chingford Avenue.

Route 424 No service between Lillie Road and Craven Cottage

Route 463: Not serving St Andrews Road and Grove Road.

Route 466 No service between Purley and Caterham-on-the-Hill

Route 469 Not serving Sewell Road, diverted via Basildon Road and Eynsham Drive

Route 470 Diverted between Cheam Village Broadway and Sutton Station

Route 484 No service between Brockley (Frendsbury Road) and Lewisham

Route 486: Diverted via Woolwich Road, Westcombe Hill and Charlton Road.

Route H1: No service.

Route H3: No service.

Route K3 Not serving Common Road, The Causeway

Route K4: Curtailed at Bridge Road roundabout, Chessington. Not serving Stormont Way, Hereford Way, Ripon Gardens

Route R2: Not serving Melody Road and Kings Road, buses turn at the route 320 stand.

Route S1 No service between Chiltern Road and Banstead

Route S4 No service between Whitby Road and St Helier Station.

T33: Not serving Forestdale.

TJMP Wrote:

> BARA Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The 12's and 40 normally terminate at Etherow

> Street. This street and Friern Road is not being

> used

> > as still thick sheet of ice and traffic is

> avoiding the area. Hence 40s terminating at Goose

> Green

>

> Tessa has raised this with Southwark as not

> gritting a 'minor' road has, in this case, had a

> wider impact and meant that bus passengers are

> having to walk from Goose Green to the Plough.

>

And beyond.

Some of us get the 12 or 40 and then walk the 'last stretch' up the hill (from the Plough/library)....

Siduhe Wrote:

> Was put in place because Southwark hadn't got

> around to gritting Melford/Wood Vale

Since Wood Vale is a boundary road - one side Southwark, one side Lewisham - do the councils take it year about to be responsible for gritting it, do they divvy up all their boundary streets equally or do they just do one side of the road?