Council tax

Duke, this happened to me but in Enfield -- got back after xmas to find a nice letter saying I have a liability order against me because I hadn't turned up to court and hadn't paid Aug-Nov council tax, despite phoning them on the day I moved from North to South London and settling my bill. I have to admit, I shouted in a rage at the woman on the end of the phone, even sweeter cause I knew I was right (but felt bad because it wasn't really her fault, and was very nice to her when she got it sorted for me). Anyway, she sorted it out by checking the system and my phone call, and in the end got 90 quid BACK!!! Result -- trouble is, as a psychologist I know the dangers of conditioned reinforcement -- pressing that lever got me a nice cash reward, and has probably made me more angry grrrrr. But fight your corner, although don't let the bailiffs come round

dukesdenver, I have had the same problems with Southwark and this is the explanation they gave me.

I am not a fan of Direct Debits, so I usually pay my council tax sometime between the 1st and 10th of each month as and when I have the time by going into the office in Peckham and paying cash over the desk. However, despite doing this, and being upto date with my payments, I received a summons through the post asking me to pay the remaining yearly bill up in one go because I had fallen behind with payments. Raging, I rang them up and was politely informed that because my payments had been erratic and spread over various days of the month, despite being upto date, that the computer showed up my address as red and therefore I had to pay the rest of the year in full. The lady I spoke with then asked me to send a letter expalining that I was upto date and a photocopied receipt prooving payments for the previous 8 months and then I would come off the red list. To be honest, i'd never heard of anything so stupid in all my life. Can you imagine an elederly person who prefers paying with cash receiving this through the post? It's a disgrace, and yet another reason why I have no respect at all for Southwark Council.

Louisa.

id just like to add that i had the same problem with southwark 3 years ago. it ended (6 months later) with them paying me ?100 compensation for my trouble. And all the OVERpaid council tax back.

i had to write to the boss of the council tax auditing office, who actually is on your side.

Agree with louisa re respect for southwark council after that..