Cash to make East Dulwich safer?

Vik

I've just read this in this months 'Southwark Life.'

"More than ?42,000 was awarded to the East Dulwich crime reduction fund, a joint initiative with the police's safer neighbourhoods team It has paid for a range of measures including alert boxes for businesses around Lordship Lane and personal alarms for local people. It is also funding hand held metal detectors to help the police combat the carrying of knives plus traffic calming measures and neighbourhood watch signs."

Has anyone heard anything about this?

To use someone's amazingly thin argument from another thread:

'if that's what colour they are, how am I being racistzzz' ?

My point in my original post is that, like it or not, ED is a massively white, middle-class, professional area by demographic.

Statistically one of the lowest areas for crime in comparison with the rest of south London.

But if there's one thing that demographic has a lot of, it's abject fear of being a victim of crime, even though statistically they're in one of the the lowest-risk groups.

So yes, what an excellent use of money.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Just because money is being spent on ED, it

> doesn't mean that more money isn't being spent

> elsewhere.

>

> Honk, do you think ?42k is a lot of money? Really?

Not knowing anything about what is spent on other areas, I don't know.

I just hope it is a mere fraction of what is spent on other areas is all.

Exactly... we don't know the facts. But it certainly doesn't sound like a lot of money to me.

Totally agree that more money should be spent where the need is greater. But just because SE22 is possibly a safer-than-average area, doesn't mean no money should be spent at all.

Otto Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> my DNA forensic property marking kit arrived

> yesterday. i am in love with it.

Me too. I got mine a couple of weeks ago and have been going mad with it marking anything that is moveable.

I have even done myself in case my frozen body is found in a London blizzard and needs returning home safely.

In regard to the thread. I agree that budgets should be weighted to areas that most need the resources, but that does not mean that other areas should be excluded because they are "well off" or "middle class." As recent threads highlight; ED is not exactly a crime free utopia.

?42k.

That covers the cost of one full time (35 hrs a week) Community officer to cover plus some stickers to put in our windows. Put another way, ?42k is the average income of a burglar in SE22.

BTW one survery states SE22 is 35% black or Asian. I would say that is a very mixed racial group and apparently we are middle income, middle educated and middle ranking professionally. Pretty average eh?!

Good idea then what I will do is convince a bunch of people to give a bunch of other people lots of stuff on the grounds that I will be giving those people sticks to pay for it with. I?ve got them, I promise, every time I break one in half it doubles in value. Sorted.