Adventure Bar

hillside

Hi there. Last Sunday evening me and my mate went for a drink in East Dulwich.We went to the "Adventure bar" on Lordship lane. We bought two beers and sat at a high table and were pleasantly talking about life and family and world issues and all. The bar was completely empty. Five minutes later the barman came over and asked my mate to kindly remove his "Hoody".We thought he was joking and asked him if he was serious. Oh yes he was,he said.Now what I want to know is, is this the reason why this bar was so pitifully lacking in clientele,or is it just because of the economic woe were living through. When two fairly respectable looking Dads cant go for a drink looking kind of street an ting what is da world coming to......or at least our little corner of it.Thoughts please..................and by the by we went straight back down to the EDT where we were welcomed with open arms

Brendan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> They?re dangerous I tell you. Just the other day I

> was in a rush to get out the house and put my

> hoodie on backwards. Being inexplicably blinded I

> tripped down the stairs and accidentally mugged 2

> pensioners.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA that gave me a proper excellent Friday giggle.. x

Because of the way things are this day and age, some places dont allow you to wear hats hoods or crash helmets, because of security reasons. I dont think the barman singled you out, its more than likely a company policy, and no matter who was in there they would ask you to remove an item of clothing that obscures your identity.

I can appreciate some of the fear amongst older people that has been generated as a result of scare mongering by the tabloid press, but that really does sound way beyond the mark to be telling people in an empty bar to remove certain items of clothing. Youd never have had that 10 years or more ago in ED let me tell you! Bloody snobs!

Louisa.

Yep, this is another one of those rights versus responsibilities thangs.

He has the right to wear his hoodie.

He has the responsibility to cater for other people's sensitivities when the personal impact is insignificant.

I'm all for a society where people talk less about their rights, and contribute more constructively to their responsibilities.

Where I grew up it was quite common for men to not be able to wear hats in pubs. Depending on where you were it could just as likely earn you a smack in the mouth as a request to leave. For the simple reason that it is actually bad manners for a man to wear a hat indoors.

Although Adventure Bar is hardly a high class establishment and I would have thought it caters for the kind of clientele who are more than likely unaware of proper manners.