176 not going to oxford circus

mrs f

Did I totally miss this, I waited for 20 mins for a 176 at oxford circus the other night only to find out it doesn't go there anymore..... ! I get this bus a fair bit and missed this- when did it happen? Does anyone know why either?

It's because of all the construction work and road closures round Tottenham Court Road station, it's been going on a couple of weeks and I think it's going to continue for a long while. The 176 starts and terminates round the corner on the Charing Cross Road now.

Started at the beginning of January - there were posters at the bus stops beside the bus timetables for a short while although I agree it wasn't 'promoted' very well. Leaving the 176 numbers on the bus stops along Oxford St wasn't the brightest move on TfL's part.

I read something that suggested it was a permanent change since one of the roads is going to be closed for ever more but other notices seem to suggest that it's initially for 2 years and they'll review. Given the current drive to reduce congestion on Oxford St, I'm unconvinced that the 176 will ever run along to Oxford Circus again.

Tis me who started the previous thread on this - and just to recap, it's apparently to do with redeveloping Tottenham Court Road station to include a new Crossrail station etc.

Last time I came back from town on the 176 they were still starting in St. Giles something or other - sort of behind Centre Point somewhere, very hard to find (although clearly I DID eventually find it!)

The driver tole me that the first stop may be moving again to round the corner from St Giles as one of closed roads was due to re-open.

Don't know when the 176 will start going through to Oxford Street again - if ever. But certainly not in the immediate future.

As for not removing the 176 sign from the bus stops in Oxford Street - erm, as far as I know they HAVE been removed. But when I got caught out there was no messages on the bus stops explaining WHY. And as I didn't know which of the many stops would have normally been a 176 stop, it wasn't till Great Titchfield Street (where I knew the 176 should have stopped) that I realised there was something fishy going on.

Still I walked all the way to former beginning of the route in Vere St by the side of Debenhams - and it was only when I reached there that I found notification that the 176 starts and stops near Tottenham Court Road now.

More info on tfl. If I can find my original message about this i'll post the link up again.

have a luvverly weekend!

Annie

Dancing Tree

Creative Catalysts

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The numbers on the signs are well and truly gone now but at some point early during the first week of the new TCR route, they were still there since I remember wondering whether I'd read the notice wrongly and it was a week later that the change was happening before figuring that it was quicker just to head to the Victoria line.

Thanks all!

Yes, the signs were not there, which is why I realised that the bus wasn't going to turn up!

No explination though... I obviously don't look closely enough to bus stops!

thankfully the bakerloo line saved me... !