Dulwich Art Gallery Antiques Road Show

Dez Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think the guy with the old firearms used to work

> at the Upland pub years ago.

I was really pissed off with the gut that explained the pistols history because I wanted to know if they still worked but he didn't go that far.

bigbadwolf Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Dez Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I think the guy with the old firearms used to

> work

> > at the Upland pub years ago.

>

>

> I was really pissed off with the gut that

> explained the pistols history because I wanted to

> know if they still worked but he didn't go that

> far.

1. If the pistols had been filled (the normal way of taking pistols like that out of commission) the expert would have commented on that (it would have wrecked their value). He would also have commented if the firing mechanism (the flint lock) was obviously damaged or not working (it strains a gun and can damage it to cock and dry fire it however)

2. They would have been well 'out of proof' and thus very dangerous to attempt to fire.

So, they were probably 'in working order' (i.e. nothing done to them to take them out of commission) but anybody trying to fire them would run the risk of the barrel exploding. You also need a licence (I think) for using working black powder firearms, even though owing such an antique unused doesn't require a licence (again, I think).

Antiques Roadshow 2109.

Expert in crumpled linen suit and panama hat studies a bound parcel of scrolls. Nervous member of public, reminiscent of a young Alex Higgins, wipes hands on shiny denim-holstered thighs. Eyes narrow.

Expert speaks:

"And so to a value, I suppose.

fake laughter

"Now, many of the early Tablets from the East Dulwich Forum (which are now known as the West Nunhead Chronicle, of course) were studded with the most gorgeous, intricate threads. Here, in a facsimile found but a mile from here, 50 years ago, is a quite beautiful detail, typical of the classic stylings of Mockney Piers - a style in itself a revival of the original Hispano-Irons school of Piers. And here is another burnished piece of embossed railery from the ancient Greek rhetorician Michael Palaeologus, who extemporised famously on his doomed love for the false-hearted DulwichMum. And, oh this is wonderful, if you look closely you can see some of the original signature 'posts' of the Gaelic sage, Sean MacGabhann himself, in regular metre, welcoming new-comers to the bailiwick in the traditional way.

"What a shame, then, that what you have here appears to be of an early 2009 vintage ? by which point the board, as many called it then, had succumbed to a wave of goths and vandals, intent only on the destruction of the earlier mode of discourse. Their pre-occupation with sexual matters, and crude juvenalia, is evident in the daubings we have before us. As such, although what you have here is of some relevance to social historians, my valuation must tend towards towards the low end. Perhaps 10-20 Britsh Yuan for that curiosity factor.

"But thank you for bringing it in"

Higgins lookalike mutters through gritted teeth:

"Oh it's my pleasure. Now, what do you think to these old Mott the Hoople drinks coasters - they're certainly an unusual size..."

Oh heck! WHO was the man who handed in those miniatures?! That was a more interesting story - or would have been had we known what it was - than the story about the miniatures themselves! We had this sad image that this elderly gentleman handed them in and then walked swiftly out and died on the bus and no-one knew what he had just donated to the Gallery.

(Oh - and I am reliably informed that a mistake was made in identifying one of the planes painted on the propellers; it was NOT a Sopwith.)

So who was this elderly man!