Ipod Found on Waveney Road - Wed 4th Feb

Trev

My missus found an ipod in the snow last Wednesday on Waveney Avenue leading up to Asquith's Day Nursery just off Peckham Rye. Anybody lost one around there and then, send me a private message with a phone number and I'll give you a shout to try to confirm ownership.

i don't get these posts

although i appreciate the you mean well shouldn't you hand in such lost property to the police station (where most people will go when they've lost something, if only to get a ref number for an insurance claim)? or have you done that too and are just flagging that it's been found?

Tried to hand it in on Saturday, but the police station was closed despite being within opening hours. Will try again when I have an opportunity to do so. Thought a notice on the local forum would be worth a punt in the meantime. Hope that clears up all the confusion surrounding mylost ipod post, pk.

I think Trev's solution is far more likely to find the original owner. How many times have people who have lost things gone to the police staion to report it? They'd laugh you out the door.

This forum's read by 3,000 to 5,000 local-ish people, who likely as not may include or have encountered the guy who lost the iPod. That's much better odds.

Huguenot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think Trev's solution is far more likely to find

> the original owner. How many times have people who

> have lost things gone to the police staion to

> report it? They'd laugh you out the door.

>

> This forum's read by 3,000 to 5,000 local-ish

> people, who likely as not may include or have

> encountered the guy who lost the iPod. That's much

> better odds.

but surely you could hand it in to the police station (as i believe that there are in fact many thousands of people in the area who do not visit the site or talk to their friends about what they've seen here) and say that you've done so on here - thereby betting even 'better odds'?

the police are actually very used to people coming in when e.g. mobiles are lost or stolen because (as i said in my initial post) a reference number is generally needed for an insurance claim to be made

out of interest, if it's not handed in and no one claims it on here what do you think that Trev should do with the ipod? keep it?

pk Wrote:

> i don't get these posts

>

> although i appreciate the you mean well shouldn't

> you hand in such lost property to the police

> station (where most people will go when they've

> lost something, if only to get a ref number for an

> insurance claim)? or have you done that too and

> are just flagging that it's been found?

It's a tricky one isn't it. I also posted about finding an ipod and didn't hand it into the police for a number of reasons. Personally I don't trust that it will sit safely in a police station until its owner turns up and I have heard stories from an off duty policeman to back this up. There are also other threads on this site that suggest retrieving items from a police station is less than easy.

Trev, you might want to have a look for my post as there were some suggestions for tracking the user yourself. (Thanks to you too Huguenot!) Unfortunately I tried to hack into the tracks to get info about an itunes account and called Apple to see if they could help but was told they were unable to track it. I was even contacted by a local journalist interested in running a story but he didn't seem so keen when I said I would love him to run the story and would want to remain anonymous.

PK - since you seem concerned about what happens to this lost property. The ipod I found is safe at my home in the hope that the owner or someone they know reads this forum. I have to say that the music on it suggests they might be that type of person! And yes - if it is not claimed I might give it to a friend (as I already have an ipod). I believe you'll find that most lost property can be returned to the finder if not claimed within a few months.

artypants Wrote:

> The ipod I found is safe at

> my home in the hope that the owner or someone they

> know reads this forum. I have to say that the

> music on it suggests they might be that type of

> person!

Give us a playlist or two.

Let the forum be the judge.

Horsebox Wrote:

> Give us a playlist or two.

>

> Let the forum be the judge.

No playlists it seems. Some random artists...

Aphex Twin

Arcade Fire

Blackalicious

Bob Dylan

The Cranberries

Iron & Wine

Lamb

M.I.A.

Massive Attack

Nirvana

Pink Floyd

Rage against ?he machine