Nappy changing in local eatery (Lounged)

Domitianus

At the risk of opening up an old debate about children in public places, I feel the need, nonetheless, to express my indignation about what I witnessed today in a well-known local wine bar. A mother with a toddler happily sat at her table and changed her child's soiled nappy in full view. This was the whole hog, removing soiled nappy, wiping child's bottom and replacing with fresh nappy. I just found this utterly unacceptable. It is unhygienic behaviour in a place serving food, is an extremely unpleasant thing for other patrons to have to see and potentially smell when they are dining and - most remarkable of all - this was done within line of sight of the establishment's clearly marked and well-equipped childrens' changing facilities which were unoccupied at the time.

Am I alone in finding this utterly unacceptable and inconsiderate behaviour?

Domitianus, could you please provide information on which particular establishment this was, and whether or not it was a child friendly business. I personally think kids should be banned from public restaurants and public houses, but I guess for many of you that seems quite extreme. But certainly, in this case, it is absolutely vile and sickening to think that ANYONE could be so unsympathetic towards the needs of fellow patrons in an establishment which serves food. If I had been the manager or any member of staff who had seen this, I would have politely told the mother to pack her things and get out, and i'd also take great delight in making sure they were banned for life. Such ignorance.

Louisa.

Perhaps indignation should be expressed in person and at the time.. instead of wimping-out and telling tales on here as a roundabout means of complaint to said 'wine bar' and anonymous finger-wagging at said mother.

If it bothered you that much.

The manager on shift should have said something polite but maybe the mother changed the nappy so quickly that the manager didn't have a chance to say anything domi? It is a great wine bar and eaterie though, don't let that put people off. Hopefully it's just a one off and this doesn't cause a stink.

This is shocking. Eatery?

What kind of a word is that? I'm thinking a self-service works canteen with lift-up perspex panels harbouring sweaty iced buns and solidifying bowls of milk pudding. Above the door a neon sign, the result of a facelift carried out in 1983 prior to a visit from the Duke of Kent to celebrate the company's accreditation to the "Apprentices for Life" scheme, tells the shuffling workers they have arrived at "The Eatery".

In the corner George, the retired and widowed post-room manager, is in for his daily warm-up. Mavis sneaks him a sausage roll and cup of tea when Mr Graves, the floor production manager, is not looking. The bell rings the end of the second shift.

At the risk of agreeing with bigbadwolf,

Food and drinks being served and consumed = no deliberate, avoidable release of faeces in the immediate area. Surely that's just good hygeine and common courtesy towards your fellow-man?

But then I don't have kids, and I'm fairly sure that makes my opinion on this almost entirely in-valid in the eyes of the nappy-changer.

-----------------

*BBW and BN5 sit opposite eachother on leather chairs, one stroking white cat, the other flanked by uniformed heavies*

*We're not so different, you and I?*

;-)

This is just wrong, wrong, wrong... The mother in question also very probably baulks at letting said toddler run free in the park because of the dog owners that don't bother to clean up after their pets. But her behaviour is on a par, if you ask me.

Basic hygiene, basic common sense, and she can't even blame being a 'new mum' as the little one in question sounds over a year old so she's had plenty of time to get used to finding facilities.

The air is calm and still. The Sauvignon is poured, warming with every tick of the creeping clock. The haggis pie lies half eaten on the platter. But all is not well.

A rising tide of feculence now permeates the air.. the horror.. the horror.. A baby. An arse. God please no! Not that! Why me?!

Should I say something? Should I..? A fly lands on the outside of the shop-front glass. IT IS LOOKING AT ME. Keep calm.. remember I am British. Pay with cash and fortheloveofgod out.. OUT..

out...OUT... and home to purge this public excrescence... this overt exposure to infant intestinal waste. So long since the fingers typed in the familiar password, Winston45, so long since this thrill overcame me. Just once, though, surely Dr Dhewar wouldn't mind just the once. I can control this, nine months of "treatment" must count for something. And..."Post message". The hit is strong... but I must have more. And soon.

I can assure you that I did make my feelings known to the mother in question who just uttered a vague "Oh, sorry" as if she didn't quite understand what all the fuss was about. I pointed out that people eat in the place and there was little point in my saying more if the matter wasn't evident enough to her.

I don't want to mention the specific establishment as the part of the bar in question was quite quiet at that time and is not in view of the staff at the bar unless they go round to attend to customers there. I am sure management would have said something had they observed this. The irksome thing is that the place IS 'child friendly' and has gone to the bother of BEING 'child friendly' by providing changing facilities which this mother chose to ignore. It just stunned me to see this, hence my reappearance on EDF after a lengthy absence.

I'd just put in a plea for mums of twins.. I often have to change one in the buggy, as you can't fit a double buggy in most changing rooms and there is nowhere to leave baby no 2 if you take both in with you. I don't think I'd do a poo-ey nappy indoors though (but who knows if such an emergency might arise)

The sad thing here is that the manager should not need to step in. The horrific act should not have taken place in the first place!

I am sorry, my cousin has two little ones, but would rather die that do this in public. Also, I can understand why someone would find it difficult to complain because you often get a snappy reaction.

I was in the Herne once, and a lady did exactly the same thing! When I asked her to please you the toilet, I was told to 'bugger off - this is a family pub'.

I suppose, ultimately, you have to weigh-up the between 'a snappy reaction' and 'eating your food when you can smell poo', come to a considered opinion.. and then act accordingly.

Personally, given the choice between changing young *Bob*'s putrid nappy in a restaurant - and crawling on my bare hands and knees over broken glass whilst stray dogs wee on my back - I'd plump for the latter.