Jaqui Smith in Daily Mail

SusyQ

I read with interest the recent column inches in the Daily Mail on Jacqui Smiths residency in the area and their report on the increase in crime levels in the area despite her residency and police protection. As I live nearby, it amused me that they say she resides in Peckham, when it fact it is Nunhead. Due to the SE15 post code shared by both, I can understand their confusion. I think it is positive that someone of her government level lives in the area. Yes there are armed police that cost the taxpayer to guard her house, but if this area is so bad, would she be here?!! Where do these crime figures come from that the DM quote? It ain't that bad living in the area...honest! Lets start promoting Nunhead, Peckham and surrounding areas such as ED in a more positive light. I get fed up having to re-assure relatives and friends north of Watford that it is safe to walk down the streets without getting shot, because tabloids like the DM portray it that way. Yes there is crime, but unfortunately it's everywhere.

But these areas aren't safe! And well we all know it!

I still don't understand why some sort of 'limiter' can't be applied to Oyster cards, whereby if the holder of said card stays on the 12 bus (for example) beyond the first stop on Barry Road (another example), the bus is forced to a halt until the perpetrator alights the bus.

It would stop a lot of 'cross border crime' and can't be that difficult to implement, can it? If the cost is an issue then the deficit should be met with an increase in SE22 area council tax.

Honk: Am I on time?:))

For the 7,000th Time its all about SCALE AND PROPORTION!

I'm sick of this bland "crime occurs in all areas" disingenuity.

Yes! There WAS a murder in The Orkney Islands last year, the first in 24 years but it DID occur.

The Police used to be able to publish Mobile Phone Thefts/Assaults before they were stopped in the interest of "Community Relations".

The last annual figures( now swept right under the Axminster!) shower 175,000 Thefts, Borough by Borough(All 33)...and Yes there was, at least ONE theft in every Borough but that does not really tell the story does it?:)

The only reason she lives in Nunhead is because she's staying at her sister's place. She can pay her a low rent, while claiming expenses for her family home in Redditch.

It's not so difficult to find crime figures for various areas in London... Peckham definitely does have more than it's fair share of crimes, not sure about Nunhead though.

The thing with honk is, loads of people would, and do, agree with his basic points, and many people have complained about the same things on here since the site opened.

It's just with honk, he does it with all the righteous commitment of a 15 year old who's just read his first Bob Geldof interview. Nobody else has ever thought of this stuff, man. Only honk knows the way.

Also, he doesn't seem to have anything else to say. Which is a shame, because elsewhere he's an amusing poster.

honk Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Cue a bunch of predicable sneering snobs posting

> drivel regarding the areas you mention. *sets

> watch*

I would rather have expected a bunch of predicable [sic] sneering snobs posting drivel regarding the paper you mention. Starting with me. SusyQ, to echo what Mark said, stop reading the Mail. But I'll go further, educate your friends and family that there are real NEWSpapers out there, and hey presto, everyone will want to move to Peckham for its vibrant multiculturalism and lovely big houses.

I have lived in the same flat 25 years. It is on the SE15 side of Peckham Rye Park. When I was younger and naive and impressionable I used to tell people I lived near East Dulwich and that was even before East Dulwich was the East Dulwich it is now. Then I "came out" and said I live in Peckham Rye (adding the "Rye", as "Peckham Rye" forms the second line of my address after the number and block). I now find I live in Nunhead.

When I lived in East Dulwich there was not much crime in this road.

When I lived in Peckham Rye there was a murder nearby.

Since I have lived in Nunhead there has not been much crime at all and the local Police Ward Panel often report this fact that this is one of the better wards (crime-wise) to live. (Though it may be up'd a bit if all of you lot who report crimes you know about on here, reported them to the police (and I do not know if you bother)).

In terms of actual percentages, the majority of those figures have a negligible difference. Certainly not significant to warrant the cacophony of snobbish tutting on here.

the violence against the person figure is considerably higher, though as I imagine the majority of you don't run in gangs or live on a sink estate then your chances of that happening are diminished anyway.