Davina Boutique - 82 Lordship Lane

macroban

Davina Boutqique has a shop in West Wickham I believe as it carries the same frotange and branding as this place, the one on Edgware RD may be different though i'm not sure. Either way how it can survive in this economi climate amazes me!

Louisa.

Are they really gone?

I only went in there once, to ask the price of a box of six pairs of tiny baby socks in the window. Was told it was ?20. When I reeled back in horror, the assistant said "oh but that's for six pairs, not just one pair"

:)):)):))

Oh that makes them really good value, then :))

I didn't buy them .....

I totally agree with you Jamma. I am not sure who 'bought' into it all in the first place. Having said that, I feel sorry for those people whose businesses are/have gone bust. But perhaps there should have been more market research into what local people need to buy.

I liked the baby T-shirts in that shop next to Healthmatters, but would I pay ?26 for one?

NO.

Lizziedjango, I always find this interesting, that people might expect to be able buy everything they need right here in East Dulwich. It would just never occur to me that I ought to be able to get everything right here - I wouldn't expect to get a new outfit (although I might have a look), or get my moisturiser, certainly not shoes, homewares, god most things. I expect to be able to get my groceries but I don't think it's geared up for catering to the area's needs like a town centre high street. That said, it is terrifically good for presents.

Also, on the subject of expensive socks, I didn't think ?20 was that outrageous - more a present box of socks than a needs must? I was shopping online today and came across a box of Stella McCartney days of the week pants for the bargain price of ?140. Now there I'd think about drawing the line.

I overheard Davina's shop assistant telling a customer on Saturday that they would be closed this week for refurbishment. I thought it was odd as they've only just opened in a refurbished premises - but who knows! We shouldn't be too nasty - there may be one too many poncy overpriced shops in ED, but they represents people's hopes and dreams and its sad when they don't work out...... And it'll be even sadder if they all sell their leases to pound shops.....

RosieH Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> > Also, on the subject of expensive socks, I didn't

> think ?20 was that outrageous - more a present box

> of socks than a needs must?

xxxxxx

These were baby socks. I guess you must earn more than me if you don't think ?20 is a lot for six pairs of very tiny socks. Even in a box. Even for a present.

My daughter would have turned her nose up at them anyway, not being recycled via a charity shop and all that :))

dulwichmum Wrote:

> It says in the window that they will be back soon

> and selling Camper and some form of Eco Trendy

> footwear.

xxxxxxx

At last! Hurrah! My hour has come :))

Only .... the Camper shop in Oxford Street had a sale recently, and even their sale price shoes were ?80 (6)

Sue, I think it's a matter of expectations. I wouldn't expect to get Camper shoes for much less than ?80 and I wouldn't expect to get a box of socks from Davina for much less than ?20.

If I were buying baby socks because I needed them rather than thought this particular box was very cutesy and would make the perfect gift, I'd be heading to H&M or Tesco (or round here, probably Sainsburys)

RosieH Wrote:

> Sue, I think it's a matter of expectations. I

> wouldn't expect to get Camper shoes for much less

> than ?80 and I wouldn't expect to get a box of

> socks from Davina for much less than ?20.

>

>xxxxxxxxx

I think it's a matter of value for money.

I think the Camper shoes are probably worth ?80. I think the baby socks are probably not worth ?20.