Nightmare roadworks in Forest Hill Rd

Eliza.D Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I suspect that getting towards the end of the

> financial year we will see a lot more roadworks,

> coned off lanes and temp traffic lights with not

> alot of work going on.

xxxxx

well surely the work will be going on, because they've got to get it done before the end of the financial year, no??

Sue, I think to get the money committed they need to start it before the end of the financial year, but not necessarily complete it.

As a result London always gets this huge rash of holes dug in roads from late February to March - where no-one's fixing them because they're too busy starting more holes elsewhere.

And every private corp i have worked for too. In the interest of fairness

There is an essential difference in my experience.

Public Sector - budget = target. Must be spent or next year's budget will be reduced by at least the amount of unspent money. The aim of public sector accounting is not to overspend or underspend the budget to any noticeable degree.

Private Sector - budget = estimate of costs & revenues. If by spending more revenues profits rise - then spend more. If revenues & profits are falling, cut costs or redirect costs into revenue generating activity. I'd acknowledge that private sector departments such as marketing or HR may tend to spend to budget but a good Finance Director will encourage them otherwise very quickly.

Lizziedjango Wrote:

> I have just complained to the council. The

> temporary traffic lights aren't working properly

> and the traffic was hellish this morning,

> especially going UP Forest Hill Rd. There were no

> work men at all there either. Does anyone know

> what is going on here??

"There were no work men at all there either."

whats unusual about that. i think the surprise would have been if there were workmen there, even more surprising if they were doing any actual work.

AllforNun Wrote:

> point missed i think !

>

> anyway keep your scores to yourself or i'll put me

> jackboots on and drag you to Glastonbury !

OK - I thought the implication of "if it was a wing of Dulwich College i am sure the road works would be less and the moaning almost non existent." is that a) the roadworks might be done more efficiently - clearly nonsense so I ignored that bit and b) that people wouldn't complain if there were roadworks for a public school. So if all the parents of DC students were local residents then I can see what you might be saying, but surely that's not the case?

Please explain your point, or I shall put my designer sunglasses on and drag you off to Wimbledon!

Point being, if it were to be a public school of some kind or even a very selective school for ED boys then people would be out there digging the roads and sweeping up after the builders. They certainly would not give a hoot about the light and size of teh school! Because it is part of Lord Carpets of Peckham scheme, and there is another school of this type near called the Academy in Peckham it strikes fear into the hearts nimbies of nibbleton common ! Visions of an inner city version of Rydell High are keeping the curtains flapping and the tongues wagging. Summer days drifting away....oooh oooooooooohh for those Pecknarm nigh ights !

AFN, you've missed your target, snorky is more on the mark. There may be concern about the validity of the new Harris school and the sandwiching of 900 boys into 4 square inches, but very few ED folk will be sending their kids to Dulwich College. Don't over egg the class war pudding, or you'll find yourself with some unexpected middle-class allies.

Now, Centre Court or No.1?

Having driven past the works today I see that, apart from modifying the annoying "hump" at the entrance to Friern Road they have simply upgraded the previous very short and useless cycle paths that allowed cyclists to use the pavement to go around the pedestrian crossing lights. The cycle paths remain useless but now the ramps on / off the road are smooth and legant.

What a waste of money (and I'm a cyclist).