What to wear? (to ED pubs on St Patricks Day)

I see the EDT is holding national days - St Patrick's on 17 March & St George's on 23 April.

Questions:

1. Will they also be celebrating St David's & St Andrew's Days?

2. What is appropriate dress for each of the various days? Do I have to dig out my Morris Man outfit for 23 April, find a daffodil for St David, a kilt for St Andrew and dye my hair green for St Patrick?

1) No they will not be celebrating St David?s or St Andrew?s days either because the Welsh and the Scots don?t get all jealous about St Guinness?s day or perhaps because, as Huguenot argued here http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?20,232048,page=3 Welsh and Scottish culture are only figments of our imagination.

2) A green waist coat, hobnails with buckles and a hat with a buckle on it for one and Morris Dancing gear for the other.

Marmora Man Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I see the EDT is holding national days - St

> Patrick's on 17 March & St George's on 23 April.

>

> Questions:

>

> 1. Will they also be celebrating St David's & St

> Andrew's Days?

>

> 2. What is appropriate dress for each of the

> various days? Do I have to dig out my Morris Man

> outfit for 23 April, find a daffodil for St David,

> a kilt for St Andrew and dye my hair green for St

> Patrick?

PSST. I think it might just be a ruse to sell more beer. I don't think they've thought about it too much.

I like the hand-drawn 'Irishman' on the sign outside EDT at the moment though.

I presume for the St George's one they'll draw an England fan throwing a plastic chair across a continental market square to keep with the theme.

It's only in recent years that enough English people have woken up to St George - enough to warrant a party anyway. Before then most of the English people I knew could barely tell you when it was. And by the time they had cottoned on, they found that the far right had appropriated it.

But I'm pretty sure the last couple of years have seen as many St Georges day parties in pubs without anyone calling them a racist so a squeak of Littlejohn martyrdom is not helping the cause I would say

But as I said earlier.. why anyone wants to drape themselves around a flag (of any country) anyway beats me. And the more someone wants to the more I back away

SCSB79 Wrote:

> English people are afraid to celebrate St George's

> day due to the fear of being branded racist.

>

> How do the Scots have no culture?? (I expect I've

> just been caught)... but I'd love to hear how you

> come up with that one.

Sarcasm this is, about a point that was being argued (more abstractly than practically) on another thread yesterday.

SCSB79 Wrote:

> why do people cling to such an event that has

> nothing to do with them???

>

> It would be like me going out to get rat arsed on

> 4th July or Bastille Day....

nought wrong with that, i always in my younger days used to celebrate australia day, and it was nothing to do with the hoards of young lithe aussie females packing out the swan

Only me! Wrote:

> SCSB79 using your argument about "why celebrate

> something that is nothing to do with them"

> ... wouldn't attending any birthday party, except

> your own, fall under this restriction?

>

> Just askin.....

Are you for real??? Are you comparing celebrating a close friend/family member's birthday to going out and celebrating someone who represents a foreign country and saying it's the same thing???

Thanks for point out my hypocrisies. I shall no longer attend the Notting Hill Carnival because I?m not from the Caribbean, or go to any Diwali celebrations as I am not Hindu. Come to think of it I have very little direct English ancestry so there goes Guy Fawks. I couldn?t in all honesty call myself a practising Christian so Christmas, Easter and Halloween are out too.

Or perhaps I just won?t take it so seriously and not get my back up about St Patrick ?s Day being a well marketed excuse for a party.

St George did exist. He was a soldier in the Roman Army and came from Turkey I think. He did something in Spain which is why he is their Patron. Then it had something to do with the crusaders that he ended up being celebrated as patron in Britian. I think anyway go look it up or summing I'm supposed to be working.