Fire Works and Music!

I was wondering the same thing.

They were pretty and all, but I can't help thinking that they happened 2-3 hours later than they should have, what with it being a Sunday and all.

[/grumpy killjoy]

meccadave Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is it not the climax of rowdy St David's Day

> celebrations in the Welsh district?

If that's so why wasn't I invited, as the only welshman in the village?!

Bloomin' inconsiderate money wasting rubbish! No thought at all for little children tucked up in their beds, frightened dogs and other pets and those unsuspecting people out for a late evening stroll.

Nice to see money put towards something really important - Fireworks!

Sorry I don't see why it is such a good thing. There are other more impressive ways than that to show off and celebrate the opening of something new and it's a shame in this present climate that waste and disturbance has been demonstrated in such a way from seemly well educated people.

agree with smeltz...

no need for it to be at 10:10 on a sunday night...v surprised that our kids didn't wake up..whatever the timetable was for that indulgent nonsense, they should have brought the whole thing forward 3 or 4 hours..

bah..

still, if it gives little Tarquin a better chance of being an unemployed actor in 20 years time, money well spent..

bugger, now i sound like a bleating commie with a class chip on his shoulder..

It was in Alleyns, as someone said the opening of the new theatre they've been building for the last couple of years.

Alleyn's school founded the National Youth Theatre so has a history of thespianism. Allegedly the theatre will be used for the wider community also (as an aside that will bugger up the parking in the evening as well as all day now).

The fireworks finished at 10.30pm, I believe it becomes illegal at 11pm but still pretty inconsiderate for a Sunday night. The loading out of the PA equipment however was still going on at 1am. If that is going to be regular occurence I'll be on the phone to them PDQ.

It's not been a good year for Alleyns and their local PR, what with gratuitously waking up the neighbours on a Sunday night (why not choose a Friday or Saturday at 8pm, guys?), following on from the embarrassment of their pupils having to apologise for the infamous snowball fight in the park.

Bawdy nan, it IS available for community use. I suggest you email or phone the school if you want to book it. A very good 300 seat theatre it is too. You can email via the website at www.alleyns.org.uk/

And Reg, were you really in bed by 10 pm.? What an impressively early night that was!

The fireworks and music were great, I agree.

Asset, it is certainly NOT going to be a regular occurrence. Why should it, for goodness sake? It is a complete one off.

Earlier in the evening there was a fantastic show that was put on by present and former pupils of the school (going back to boys who were in plays directed by Michael Croft), following the theatre's opening by Sir Trevor Nunn. He said most professional theatre groups would kill to have a theatre as good as that, so I hope that local Am-Dram groups will bid to use it. I believe the Burbage Players are going to have a production there this year, for one.

Townley Green - I meant the loading in and out of PA equipment actually, not the fireworks. I am well aware the fireworks were a one-off however it is likely that there will be loading out after shows that may continue until late. As I said in my previous post the loading out was still going on at 1am. Practically outside my bedroom window.

A simple warning to the residents that there would be amplified music and fireworks late on a Sunday night would have been a minimum of expected courtesy.