Jags sports club going downhill.

I'm a regular user of Jags sports club but I'm beginning to think it's slipping. They use a card swipe system but I think because of this non members are bunking in. Whenever I go in the receptionists don't even look up from the screen. I've noticed the gym is full of teenagers who I'm sure can't all be members. Also, the entrance gates for are permanently open, and as a result the small car park is always full. I think many of the cars are owned by non members who are either using the all weather pitch or whose kids are at a swimming gala. I'm thinking of knocking it on the head before it totally goes to pot.

I'd agree with your comments, an additional frustration is the number of machines that are not working properly at any given time, and the lack of aircon in the upstairs gym. I've definitely noticed it slipping in the last few months.

Very interesting. I was just thinking about joining with my other half. We wanted somewhere with a pool as he doesn't do the gym. Not really bothered if i make eye contact with the receptionist or noy, but i do care about lots of machines not working. Anything else I should know before I sign away my hard earned pounds?

I agree with Jimmy, gates always open, car park always full, reception staff don't mind if you just walk in. As a paid up member who often can't find my membership card, it has never been a problem, even accessing the ladies change rooms, which used to require swiping your card seems to be no longer required.

The place probably is heaving with young lads as my teenage son has been pleading with me for membership as lots of his mates are already members and as Jags don't operate a guest system he is unable to go. I'm resisting mostly because of the ?70 joining fee but sounds like its not worth the monthly fee either. Unacceptable to have machines out of order considering how expensive it is.

Huggers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Mamma Mia, they do operate a guest system if the

> guest pays for their visit.

Thanks Huggers. I suggested to my son that he could go along as a guest but he said they didn't allow it, probably because he's putting on the pressure for his own membership. He has free access to the gym at Haberdashers which is why I'm holding out on getting him membership at Jags. He plays loads of sport at school and at weekends so doesn't need to go to the gym to get fit so it's hard to justify the cost.

I think a guest swim is ?8 or so. Whether that includes the gym I don't know. I'd liek to use the pool, but since I am in ESPH, I don't need the gym aspect. I rang and asked whether they'd consider lowering the price for just a swim, but the response I got was an uninterested 'no'.

I have been a member of jags and have not had any problems. i find the receptionists very friendly and helpfull, i try to always have my membership card with me as i guess it gives the receptionists more hassle especially at busy times!!!!

The pool is great early morning and later evenings there are usually just a few people bliss....

I always mention to the reception that a machine is not working, it;s a shame you have had some bad experiences, hope they improve..

I have always found it great, the main problem was a few years back when word got out and instead of families from Jags or Alleyns and around the 'village', people who all knew each other, we were overun with a slightly less desirable suburban crowd from ED, all low slung pants and oversized pushchairs.

"I have always found it great, the main problem was a few years back when word got out and instead of families from Jags or Alleyns and around the 'village', people who all knew each other, we were overun with a slightly less desirable suburban crowd from ED, all low slung pants and oversized pushchairs."

Yeah, it's terrible to be in a situation where people don't all know each other. Bit like a large modern city LOL! We must stand together and fight to retain Dulwich Village's non-suburban status!!!

Anyone remember the shock and outrage back in the 70s at the BBC TV comedy "The Gnomes of Dulwich"? No second series for that outrage!!!!

It's been mentioned in another thread, but the adult lanes swimming is frustrating because people don't obey the fast, medium and slow lane signs. Quite often very slow swimmers swim in the fast lanes, sometimes going round the opposite way to what's been indicated. The lifeguards don't seem to be proactive in putting a stop to this.