Walking in South East London

We did a fantastic walk on Sunday from Balcombe to East Grinstead (both in Sussex). Train from East Dulwich including connections was about 1 hour and cost ?9 return. Not SE London admittedly but not a million miles from it and real countryside.

The walk was through villages, woods, fields, past a steam railway and round a reservoir with lunch at the Cat Inn in West Hoathly in the middle. Total 10 miles.

The only catch is that it's impossible to do without directions and we used TimeOut Book of Walks near London for all directions. If you get the book, there's a cornucopia of walks around the 6 to 10 mile range near SE London.

Get the train to Ramsgate.

Make sure of the tide time tables, then

walk to the coast (a few minutes), and then walk all around the Isle of Thanet (which includes Ramsgate Broadstairs, Viking Bay, Kingsgate, Joss Bay, Palm Bay, Walpole Bay, Cliftonville (get a bus to Margate station if you're knackered by then) and on to Margate. Thanet also includes lots of inland little villages too. Can you tell I grew up there?

If you make it as far as Margate, Margate station is on the coast road.

(I did that walk in about 4 hours slowly as the seashore is my 2nd fave place to walk and explore)

There are caves and inlets and great sand and about 16 different bays.

WAIT - edited when I realised he said SOUTH EAST LONDON.

OK, Crystal Palace to London Bridge doing as much of the green chain as possible.

Or.

From Tower Bridge to Chelsea Bridge and beyond if you're up to it.

Just get an A-Z of London and pick the bits you fancy!

There are nice areas to the east and west of Sevenoaks. You can get the train to Sevenoaks from a couple of stations I believe.

I did a 14 mile walk with plenty of hills near there the other weekend with some friends.

I would suggest Eynford in Kent. There are trains from either Peckham or East Dulwich. There is a lovely walk along the river to Lullingstone Park, there are castle ruins, the viaduct and a Roman Villa.

At the top of the hill overlooking the valley there is 'Eagle Heights' a bird of prey centre.

The village itself has plenty of good pubs serving a variety of food and if the weather is hot you can take a dip in the river by the ford.

Snoozequeen1 - I am setting my expectations low but if these walks are only 30% as good as the Dales then they will still be fantastic!

Yes, I meant South East London AND the South East (it's all foreign to me to be honest).

Thanks for all the suggestions. Not sure what has won yet but will peruse the suggestions tonight and find a winner for the weekend.

I can see Frank (the ferret) and myself are going to have a very enjoyable walk!

Lost Yorkshire Man, may I recommend that you pick yourself up a copy of the Time Out Book of Walks - all walks within easy reach of London (train from major stations and usually no more than an hour's journey - just enough time to read the paper).

The walks all have suggestions of excellent pubs for lunch en route (although beware, I have lost the afternoon to good local ciders in the past and had to taxi the last bit of the walk) - as well as lovely things to look at and cake shops.

They also do a walking club, so you can just turn up and meet others if you're going it alone.

Can't recommend highly enough

You could always start on the London Loop - a series of walks which takes you (yes you guessed it) in a total loop of London, all walks are inside the M25 - I have the book detailing all the walks which you are welcome to borrow - the walks are of varying length (but plenty of the distance you require) and difficulty and its a great way of seeing parts of outer London you wouldn't otherwise encounter - googling local hosteleries for the end of the walk is also a good idea!

Kristymac1 has beaten me to it - but I can recommend the London Loop - simple navigation but you see a different face of LOndon and its suburbs. I started at Woolwich Arsenal and am up to Wimbledon so far - next to Richmond and then the North of the river section. It ends by walking under the Thames back to Woolwich. Good fun and simple walking - not to be compared with Nidderdale, Wensleydale, Pennine Way or Highland Way - but enjoyable.