Alarm on Overhill Road

Absentminded, next time you call Southwark Environment Health, on 0207525 2000 and report it. They send someone round if it doesn't go off in a certain amount of time, ie. 20 minutes, and then they write to the owners of the property, who can be fined if it happens again. There should be a keyholder in the case of an alarm.

cate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Absentminded, next time you call Southwark

> Environment Health, on 0207525 2000 and report it.

> They send someone round if it doesn't go off in a

> certain amount of time, ie. 20 minutes, and then

> they write to the owners of the property, who can

> be fined if it happens again. There should be a

> keyholder in the case of an alarm.

xxxxxx

Yeh, the noise team has a great success record.

Because if they don't come round within their target time, they don't record the call.

In my experience.

So consequently as they only record the ones they make in time or at all, they get near 100%. Though of course it would look a bit odd to make 100% so I guess they must record a few they don't get to.

Oh, and if someone in your road is making so much noise you can hear it at the other end of your house with all the doors and windows closed at 4am on Christmas Eve, and preventing you getting to sleep, and if they are making so much noise they can't hear you when you bang and shout on their door, thus doubling the pain for the other neighbours, don't bother calling the noise team because they don't work on Christmas Eve.

Rant over, sorry :) They do come sometimes :)

WARNING: THE EVENTS DESCRIBED IN THIS POSTING MAY HAVE BEEN ILLEGAL.

EDF DISCLAIMER BLAH, BLAH.

I used to live opposite a small factory. It had a dodgy alarm that went off several times per week, always in the middle of the night, for no apparent reason. Calls to the Police had no effect. They called the owner who came next morning each time - after the alarm had been ringing all night. Several times various groups of neighbours sent letters to the factory owner asking them to repair the hair-trigger alarm. They did not. They did not reply.

Here is what solved the problem.

1. I got a step ladder and a large screwdriver.

2. I put the ladder against the wall and climbed up it.

3. Using the screwdriver I carefully removed the cover of the alarm box.

4. I carefully disconnected all visible wires inside the box.

5. I descended the ladder, and put a note through the factory door informing the owner the alarm was disabled.

6. I returned home, rang the local Police station and told them what I had done. The officer on the line laughed.

7. I went to sleep.

Consequently within 24 hours the alarm was repaired and did not go off again during the further 12 months I lived opposite the factory.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of years ago there was an alarm on the house next to mine ding a linging all night, I called the police who gave me a number at Southwark Council. I called them, they came out put a sticker on the front door, and hour later a man with a ladder and a drill came out, still to this day not sure if he was sent by the Council or a pished off neighbor! He drilled through the alarm box until it stopped.

My Hero.