Rude Cashier in Sommerfield

I went into Sommerfield last night to get some bits with my sister, and ended up buying a fair amount. We decided to split in our cards (done many times before).

I asked the lady if we could do this, and before I even finished my sentence she said 'no'. I said to her I had done it before so could she try. Again, she interrupted, and just said 'no, no, no'.

I didn't really care about splitting it that much, but thought I would push her on it. As expected, the nice manager came over and said 'of course you can split it, what is the problem?'

Maybe she wasn't sure how to do it, but why not just say? I wouldn't have cared. It just wound me up how rude she was. SHe didn't even bother to say sorry before, just starred at me with her attitude...

I had a similar experience in Somerfield when the cashier accused me of trying to pay for something with a ?5 note that had been withdrawn.

She was talking complete crap and I pointed out to her that the ?5 had been the same for years but the ?20 note had changed.

I always avoid that woman now if I do dare go to Somerfield (rarely).

KalamityKel Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Steady on Sue... the guilty person probably knows

> you mean them... ;-)

>

> (that sounded better in my head than typed!)

xxxxxxxx

I'm booking my ticket for Australia as I type ....

:))

I worked on a supermarket checkout many years ago and the fact is that many people in those jobs can't do basic maths, so even dividing by two would be a struggle. She probably wanted to avoid the embarrassment! No excuse for being rude though!

Sulu - funny you say that, as my sister (a teacher), thought that was the case.

In all honesty I would not want her to feel silly, but I just thought the attitude was off, especially since there are many old ladies who shop in there - if she spoke to my nan like that I was go nuts.

Sulu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I worked on a supermarket checkout many years ago

> and the fact is that many people in those jobs

> can't do basic maths, so even dividing by two

> would be a struggle. She probably wanted to avoid

> the embarrassment! No excuse for being rude

> though!

It's up to Somerfield to ensure that their employees are able to do basic maths, especially if they are on the checkouts. Failing that, a quick lesson on how to use a calculator. It's unacceptable and the attitude described is appalling.

Non of this surprises me to be fair, since Somerfield took over from Gateway and the staff changed, that place has been a nightmare in every sense of the word. However, having said that I do know and talk to some of the people who work there and in all fairness they are really friendly.

Louisa.

Popped in quickly for some orange juice a little while ago. The cashier scanned one of the packs from a pack of four and put them through as four separate items which obviously was more expensive. I pointed this out to her but she insisted it was the same price as the 4-pack. With a long queue forming I didn't want to hold everyone up so went to check afterwards and of course it was more expensive individually so I had to go through a lengthy process of getting a refund and repurchasing. Very frustrating and instead of apologising for my inconvenience they made me feel like I was being a nuisance.

Best to always check your receipt too because I have noticed other errors in the past like not getting the BOGOF reductions.

Well as I have pointed out numerous times on this forum, despite the snobby attitude towards Iceland most of their food is is of a high standard and priced decently, the staff are always on the ball and helpful, and for those of you who believe in all that genetic modification and organic crap, they sell a large number of products which cater for this market. I know how much it pains many of you people to walk in their though and be seen standing in line next to working class people and penny savers!

Louisa.