The Uplands - a hidden gem

Yesterday I, along with Man and Boywotlunches, decided on the way back from Battersea Zoo that we'd stop off for a spot of lunch. The weather was closing in and time was getting on so we wanted somewhere child-friendly and relatively quick.

After trawling round all the usual suspects for about an hour - all with no joy (no tables, kitchen closed due to volume of orders etc), we ended up in The Uplands on NX Road. Why we didn't try there earlier I don't know.

They have special Roast dinners on Sundays - we didn't partake but saw the plates and they looked very good. The menu is classic pub grub - steak sandwiches, burgers, fish fingers etc for the kids, with some salads, pasta options and bangers & mash, I remember.

It was quiet, but that was good as it meant service was quick. The staff there were really friendly and helpful, the portions were huge and tasty. And there were some yummy pudding options too.

At risk of losing our spur of the moment bolthole, just wanted to let forumites know about this as an option on a Sunday. I know that some have used the Uplands for hotel rooms, but they have more strings to their bow, it seems!

Well it's not exactly 'hidden', is it? Everybody knows where it is.

And being at the top of NXR if there's anywhere that ought to be full on the weekend, it ought to be there.

I must have walked past it several hundred times and haven't considered going in as of yet. It doesn't look very appealing (more 'a bit rubbish') and I'm guessing I'm not alone, on account of the 'good seating' to be had there.

The weird menu makeover they did recently "Sea Bass gently coaxed out of a pristine ocean and persuaded to perch on a light bed of organic loveliness" was even more confusing. Has that been jettisoned now then?

Don't know what it would take to get me in there but it hasn't happened yet.

Don't know what it would take to get me in there but it hasn't happened yet.

Peter Mandelson at a corner table, a map of East Dulwich in his hand and a beckoning grin? A 1960s Petula Clark working the pumps, looking for a song writer to make her famous? A free brusary to the local Posh School for mini-Bob with every order over ?10?

Indeed - the decor leaves a lot to be desired, its been through several changes of management (and no redecoration) in the 8 years I've lived close by, and there is a definite 'clique' of locals at the bar.

But the staff are welcoming, its a small business, and they may want to do more to the place if they had the revenue to justify it. With The Plough being one of the places we tried and failed to get food in yesterday, Mr LWL said "if they painted it muted shades of dark green and beige and called it 'The Queen's Head' or something similar, it would be heaving.

It's an image problem for sure.. I've no reason to think anything other than good-eggery on the part of the staff or current punters (hopefully the earlier pointless 'chav' slur can be ignored..)

But let's be honest the place looks really rubbish, and not even in an endearingly rubbish way. Just.. pants.

I think it's a lot nicer than it was, would be a great place to have lunch BUT went there once since the new chef and the renovation, the food looked very nice when it arrived (supposedly Cumberland sausages and mash), beautifully arranged on the plate, but the sausages appeared to contain no meat at all and had the texture of a damp flannel, and the mash was curiously tasteless despite the use of three different fresh herbs mixed in and placed around the sausages.

Wasn't that cheap and wasn't good value for money at all - we're back at Franklins for their excellent Welsh rarebit for a fiver.

Shame, because the Uplands is just round the corner from my house and I really wanted to like the food :-S

KalamityKel Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What did they say when you told them about the

> state of their sausages Sue?

xxxxxx

I didn't have the heart. When they arrived, I said "ooh, that looks nice" and the person who brought them over said "Yes, we've got a new chef, he's really good."

So that made the first mouthful even more disappointing .....

But basically I bottled out. However as I left most of it maybe they might have realised .....

Shame, I'd have loved to have found a nice quiet spot just round the corner to read the papers and have lunch and a pint after a hard night at the Goose, but lo, it was not to be

:-$

I live opposite and love it in there. All the old boys standing at the bar are born and bred East Dulwich folks, old boys, the type of people you always used to find in local pubs... I have been going in for over a year now and talk to pretty much all of them about the price of fish. Its feel local.

Lets hope it stays 'a bit rubbish' looking so it continues to the be the hidden gem that it is!

Staff are lovely, and so nice with kids in the afternoons. Thing that bugs me is the awful acoustics, sound bouncing around. Used to be a proper old school pub, and whoevs ripped the front out was a total knob with no forward thinking. Basically it's a horrid building, but nice enough place for a beer, and the locals won't hurt you, they might even be friendly if you don't look down your nose at them.

About 2-3 years ago (clearly under previous management) I went there with a friend for an after work drink, as we live nearby it was always an easy place to meet up, get decent enough food, could always get a seat, etc. However, in between paying for our drinks and leaving maybe an hour later, my wallet had been stolen from my coat, and when I raised the issue with the bar staff, they were completely uninterested.

Upon requesting to use their phone to phone the police, they refused saying it wasn't their problem and if I used their phone it might affect their license... I have not set foot in the place since. Upon reporting it to the police, it apparently wasn't the first time this had happened in this pub.

Despite it's great location unfortunately it's battling against rather a large image problem.

Funnily enough, when my wallet was stolen (not in the uplands), someone tried to use my debit card in the uplands the next day. Annoyingly, I think they got away with 50 quid too (didn't cost me, but annoying to think the scum got a penny). There have been a couple of managers in there who seemed to have real lack of people skills, but these guys seem nice.