Local Community Health Activities?

sooty

Hi all,

I'm currently helping organise a Curriculum Evening at my Primary School. The focus this year is P.E (Health and Fitness). Along with offering demonstrations for parents of what the curriculum has to offer children in primary education the staff team are hoping to promote local groups, clubs, organisations and business' that help promote healthy lifestyle for the family I have been asked to get information and possibly contact any local community group who might me interested in either coming along or for us to distribute information for.

The school is in Sydenham...but welcome suggestions nearby as well as...Lewisham...Catford....Peckham....Crystal Palace....Forest Hill...I am aware of Power Pramming across the South of London and have heard of... Baby Salsa? These are a great start but any more help would be appreciated...maybe you are a member of something that would be of interest or know of someone who is or runs something along these lines.

Please let me know and I will follow up any suggestions.

Thanks!

If you were in Southwark I'd probably be able to tell you more - but as you're in lewisham I would suggest getting in touch with the public health team in Lewisham PCT, who should have information about services and activities for families to keep well and active such as exercise and diet advice. The things you've mentioned aren't cheap and might exclude some families at the school - and they should be able to tell you about options that are more accessible to all.

http://www.lewishampct.nhs.uk/public_health/health_improvement_team

Just as an idea/information Goodrich School are organising a 5k plus 1 mile fun run (26 April) for children and parents and are incorporating free get fit training sessions for parents who are going to take part. The aim of the day is two fold. Firstly it is being organised as a fun family morning to promote family fitness and secondly as a fundraising event for the school PTA.

There has been excellent support from local businesses which have helped to cover the set up costs, therefore the event has become accessible to most children with the lowest entrance fee being 50p from which they will recieve a medal and t-shirt. This year the fun run event is going to be just for Goodrich children but the 5k is open to any adult.

I'm not sure in what capacity you are involved with the school in Sydenham but this could be an idea for promoting fitness and bringing your school community together.

For more information on the run itself please see www.friendsofgoodrich.com

I hope this useful. As an organiser of the event the set up has not been too difficult so far so could be an option for your school to organise.