East Dulwich Included in Smooth Radio Love London Awards '09

Hello Everyone,

For those of you who don?t already know, Smooth Radio along with The Independent and ITV London Tonight have created the Love London Awards 2009. The East Dulwich Tavern has been nominated and it would obviously be fantastic to bring home the trophy for us and East Dulwich. We are humbly calling in the support of all of our EDF friends to ask for your vote. The voting finishes on 27 March and you can vote online at: http://www.smoothradiolondon.co.uk/

The East Dulwich Tavern is in the top 10 for it's category across the whole of London.

Go ED!

Many Thanks,

S.A.

Marmora Man Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I will tho'. Their sausage rolls are the best - as

> is their ham on the bone.

Oh god, their sausage rolls....

Only problem with them is one is never enough - two is a little too much. Down with the deli, they encourage gluttony

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ???? that is your opinion, but I personally stick

> with my first observation. And yes I agree, it is

> overpriced. Bring back Kennedys.

>

> Louisa.

???? didn't say it was overpriced but that it was expensive - different implications.

I stand by my statement re sausage rolls (eating one at present) and the ham. All deli's tend to be at the higher end of the price range and I don't find EDD off the scale for the quality they provide.

Proles eat hi fat lo priced locally produced shite from shops with "pound" or "cutter" in name = should be banned

Middle classes eat hi fat high priced imported shite from shops with a mission statement = nominated for awards

How does that sit oh Guardian readers ?

I don't understand the problem - they sell food which tastes nice. Yes it's quite expensive, but if you don't like it don't shop there, there are plenty of other options around locally.

Snorky - come on, not the middle/working class clich?s again... next thing you know, someone is going to be berating it for being "white".

I will readily admit that when I was a student, Gregg's range of warm stodge was a convenient and cheap staple... but it doesn't exactly taste good, does it?

There's nothing wrong with spending your money on nice food, if that's what floats your boat. Snorky, you've admitted before to buying stuff which I would consider a complete waste of money. So each to their own.

It isnt about buying good or bad food, it is about buying something because you genuinely are misguided in believing it is better than what is sold in one of the chain bakers like Greggs. Some people are just snobs, they do it because they can, they dont mind wasting money, it makes them feel good. Why not just own up and admit it ED'ers!

Louisa.

WTF is going on here? Are people GENUINELY saying that the salt/water/fat products of Greggs are genuinely tasty and no worse for you than some well made bread, olive oil and salad? Can you not - with no guidance from anything but your tastebuds - tell the difference between a sausage roll from EDD and one from Greggs

If you genuinely think there is no difference or Greggs is better, it is not snobbish at all to suggest you are deluded. A suasage roll from Greggs is a thing made from balance sheets, of hate for it's customer, from the bowels of hell. Cut one open. Look for the suasage meat. If you find some... LOOK AT IT! What the hell do you think that stuff is???????

now, shite can hit the spot. By all means say it's your favourite thing. That's not an issue. But don't say it's no worse than a well made sausage roll. Because it emphatically is

Stop hiding behind puerile insults at sandal-wearing Guardian readers, get over the chip on your shoulder and use your senses for the love of god

It isnt about buying good or bad food, it is about buying something because you genuinely are misguided in believing it is better than what is sold in one of the chain bakers like Greggs.

Come on - I've been eating and enjoying good food for over 50 years. I'm price conscious and quality conscious but not misguided unless my taste buds are totally shot. I am prepared to bet that an objective blind tasting of almost all (I'd probably say all - but leave an opening for others to disagree) EDD produce - sausage rolls, chocolate brownies, sponge cakes, walnut loaves and their ham against Greggs produce would give EDD a win every time.

I wouldn't assert that there's a straight linear relationship between the quality and price at each establishment but ?1.75 for a meaty, herby flaky pastry wrapped sausage roll - that weighs I'd estimate a good 6 ozs and is made on the premises at EDD is good value. ?1.00 for a industrially produced flaccid, pink and flavourless sausage roll with stodgy pastry and warmed over in the microwave at Greggs is only VFM if you're:

a. Stoney broke and unable to spend an extra 50p or so

b. In dire need of something to ease the pangs of hunger.

c. There's no alternative supply of edible food.

I have eaten Greggs SRs - in Brum when conditions b. & c. applied - but not on LL with EDD 50 yards away.