target arms

daizie

Given that an arms and militaria shop (this close to Peckham) might encourage a 'strange' clientele - and that an element of unfriendliness to unknown customers might be a necessary stock-in-trade, I have generally found, in the few visits I have made over 20 years or so, that the owner is knowledgable and the stock fairly priced (although I have only been interested in the antique items (pre 1900) and not the items from 20th century conflicts).

Someone who is interested in arms and militaria (and runs a shop selling it to other interested parties) is likely to take quite a robust view towards the armed services and law and order generally, but I am not sure that sociopath is a happy description of the owner or the majority of his customers - certainly those who form the hard core of regulars - although interest in and admiration for such entities as the SAS could be judged to be evidence of a sociopathic nature by those of a wishy-washy liberal bent - although this wishy-washy liberal is less inclined to think that.

You can of course have extreme and robust liberals, 'wishy-washy' (apart from being part of what I thought was a well known phrase or saying) is a description of the type of liberal I am - perhaps I should have included a smiley of some sort to flag irony (is there an irony smiley?)

A family heirloom shotgun was given to me from my fathers belongings and although it was locked away in an upstairs cupboard I never felt safe with it being in the house.

My brother asked me about it some years later, so I gave it to him there and then and I was relieved to be rid of it.

'If it wasnt for gunshops, then I would not be able to plan with precision my postal assault on the Wm Rose Saturday AM queue'

hehehehee snorky, so pleased im not the only one with these thoughts.. hahahaha.. when i said sociopath i was talking about myself, lmao !!!

I think that criticism of 'wishy washy liberalism' is based on the fact that it, 'liberalism', is often taken as a default position without much thinking (or indeed commitment) on many 'liberals' part...hence wishy washy. True liberals, I would argue, have an open mind to debate, thought, political philosophy, etc...many people who describe themselves as liberal don't

*walks away whistling*

Edited to change ss to as, Freudian or wot

Daizie,

You do Dennis (for that is his name) a dis-service.

He has been in business for the 15 years that I have resided here, and then some.

I have always found he and his 'regulars' a source of humour and a font of local history.

Perhaps a return from your 2 year sojourn would benefit

BTW - Happy Saint Patricks Day to all forumites. Off to the EDT with memories of the blacked out windows and old boys around the bar.

I have been meaning to go there for a while now.

I have a big chunky silver mans ring my Grandad gave me. It is from the USA army and has a seal on the top. The seal is covered in wax or whatever they used to seal documents. It is quite ornate with eagles on it .I have always wondered what it might be.

Having some expert on your door step seems quite good to me. Afterall love it or loath it we do have a militarty history.