woman selling book door to door

pinz

has anyone been approached at their door to buy a book from a lady with a child in a pushchair? today, i paid 3.50 on a promise to get an update on when i might receive the said book in about 8 weeks' time - the book has yet to be published. dare i ask, have i been suckered?

What was the book?

All seems a bit strange to me, why would you go door to door collecting money for a book which "has yet to be published"?

Why not wait for the book to be actually published before trying to sell it? And surely door to door isn't the most effective way of selling a book, anyway?

i think this one is genuine. She came to our door last week brandishing the book and had a pram with her. I think her plan was to raise enough money to get is properly published. Seems to have gone to a lot of trouble if it's a scam

thanks to all for the responses. much appreciated. sorry - yes, i did see a sample book. cant remember the title but it was about a sacked manageress and someone called adele - memory like a sieve nowadays. the pitch went along the lines that the woman had insufficient funds to get her book printed in volume. am still hopeful i have aided an enterprising type, but my head (now) tells me i was probably "had". hey ho. thanks again all.

I have just been visited by the lady, Rosalind, & I believe her to be genuine. I told her about the postings on here & she looked genuinely upset that she was being misunderstood. She went away without asking for anything & has just put a copy of her first book through my letterbox with a brief note explaining what she is trying to do. She said that she is telling people that it will be a 6-8 week wait from giving money to receiving the book, so I guess some patience is in order. I do feel for her - ED is a little cynical due to several scams being run in the area, but I don't think that's her agenda.

• 4 weeks later...

matthew123 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sounds like the same woman who knocked on my door

> selling her book and she seemed genuine enough - I

> think it shows initiative and courage trying to

> sell her book, door to door.

xxxxxxx

Surely she'd do better getting a local shop or stall to sell it? Or sell it on the internet? Going door to door is hardly a time-effective way of targeting your market, is it, unless it was something relevant to the area eg a history of East Dulwich, and even then many people probably wouldn't be interested?

She came to my door and asked me if I was a reader - erm, well, yes I read books, but not books bought at random from someone at the door - which could be anything!

She also asked me about the posts on this forum, I really couldn't remember what had been said, why didn't she look for herself?

I think the whole thing is a bit strange.

I bought a book from a woman knocking on doors ,same line " do you read ? " about 18 months ago .

Called Taffy How ,bright green cover.

I did read it ,thought it had a good story line but that the language needed a little work.

Sure that if I'd ever tried to write a book ,it wouldn't be as good.

Must say I admired her iniative.

Do wonder if there may be more than one person doing the rounds ,not sure about paying money in advance .

• 4 years later...

This is Rosalind Roberts the author of Taffy How.First of all i would like to apologise for all the confusion regarding the publication of my book.When i was selling the book in advance i needed to raise up the funding to get the book published and i was telling people that i was telling people that i would contact them within 6-8 weeks to update them about the process.

However i did give receipts with my name and contact details the project was bigger than i thought it would be to the point that it was overwhelming i spent many hours ringing people and writing to people updating,updating,updating until one women told me "stop ringing me your wasting to much money on phone calls."What i should of done was taken email adresses.

To cut a long story short,i sold over 3,500 books all over London the only way i could distribute these books was by selling and delivering.In order to get the position of publication it took 3 years.So when i went back to deliver the book if the person wasnt in i would leave a note to say i had called and that i had there book attached to this note was my phone number.

Because i covered such a large area i had to focus on one or two areas at a time i have delivered to East Dulwich,Herne Hill and West Dulwich twice but then i had to move onto other areas.

I am back in the area however i am going to be more diligant i am still going to go back to the houses that have brought from me if they are not in i will either ask a neighbour if they still live there or i will live a green slip through the door with my contact number and email so all the outstanding books can now be delivered.People that have moved soon i will be doing radio interviews locally to start off with to talk about this project and i will state that if anyone has brought the book and hasnt recieved it they can forward their old details and give me their new details in order for the book to be recieved.

But i have also arranged for people to meet this Friday the 6th December 2013 between 10:30-11:00 am at the Dulwich Bakery opposite Tescos i will be there. If you have brought your book and you havent recieved it i will have some books on me to give.

Sorry for the late reply,look forward to seeing you all.if you would like to telephone me to let me know you are coming that would be very helpful. My mobile number is 07914988187.

Rosalind Roberts