Friern Road Girls school (1955-1961)

I would be interested to hear from anyone who attended this school during the the late fifties, early sixties. Especially if you remember me. My name at the time was Julia Price. The teachers I can remember from this time were Mrs Green, Miss Young (french teacher), Miss Hitchen and Miss Flack (PE). I remember a school trip to France that many of us went on. It was a lot of fun but the trip back was horrendous. The worst ferry crossing for 60 years according to the papers. Everyone on board was really ill and we all arrived back looking chalk white and covered in vomit. Our parents were all shocked to see the state we were in.

• 2 years later...

Hello Julia,

I think I remember you but I certainly remember the trip to France; I was the only one who wasn"t sick. I remember all the teachers you mention but do you remember that were 2 Mrs. Greens? One taught English but can"t remember what the other one taught because I never had her.

On the trip we were all given the letter J on a green disc to wear on our coats to identify which school we were with.

I have just realised that I have not given my name. I was Maureen Clark and left in 1960.

I am now widowed, live in Kent and have 2 daughters, 4 grand daughter and 4 grand sons.

• 3 months later...

Hi Julie,My name was valerie maskell at school Miss Flack,was my form teacher,andMiss Young the french teacher.

(the only subject i was any good at along with Barbara Smith) I remember the Fench trip very well.

I remained friends with barbara for a few years after leaving in 1956.

We lost touch in the late sixties.I now live in Whitstable in kent i am 70 years old and have been married to

Bill(Graham) for fifty years,We have two children and four grandchildren

• 1 year later...
Thank you to everyone who answered my post re Friern Rd School (1955-60), I first posted in 2009 and had almost forgotten about it!! I'm pleased some of you have seen it. I remember Miss Thompson, the headmistress for a time, Mrs Green was my form teacher but I can't remember another Mrs Green. The girls I remember very well were Valerie Alford, Valerie Goss, Sylvia Horwood and Barbara Moore. All very good friends at the time and I'm so sorry I lost contact with them. No Facebook in those days!! Just to remind you my name was Julia Price back then. I'm now married with three sons and a grandson.

Friern Road School facing the Rye was a boys School when I attended in 1945.

It still had the Brick walls covering the front ground floor windows that was used as Air Raid Shelters.

A long way to walk from Lordship Lane / Goodrich Road juntion, through the back roads, no direct bus route, no time for going home for dinner. There was a small sweet shop in Crebor Street.

• 3 years later...
Hi I was at Friern Girls School from1954 -1958 My name was Kay Newman and I was in Miss Hitchens .class for.four years. Teachers I remember were Miss.Knight Miss Hill Miss Cowell Girls in my class were Joan.McGuire Carol.Murton Hazel Bennett Jean Griswood Sylvia Peters Margaret Shrimpton.Margaret Tree. Anyone who remembers me feel free to get in touch.

• 7 years later...

Hi there, I've been searching for info about Friern Road School.  My grandfather was schoolkeeper there in the 50 and 60's.  I've been going through his keepsakes and found the attached photo.  He is right up the back and with all the lady teachers of the time.  I don't know if any pupils of the time would be interested (if they are still with us), or if anyome out there recognises any teacher ... as being their mum etc.? PS I can perhaps improve the photo with sofware if need be,  Warm Rgds Mr Kim Adams, Epping, Essex.   [email protected]

LJG Adams Friern School 2r.jpg

• 6 months later...

Hi. I attended Friern School for girls from 1963 to 1968. In the first year my school teacher was a very young Miss Alcock after Marrying her name was Mrs Le Breton. Mrs Davies was head of the lower school. The only teacher that I and most of us feared was Miss Coyne. My main memory of school was that we had to refer to the teachers as Mam and stand up every time a teacher entered the room. Miss Herbert was my form teacher in the upper school. There was six girls named Linda in the class. I remember. Linda Burgess, Linda Wales, Linda Yates, Linda Wallis, Linda Probert. The other Linda I can visualise as short curly blonde hair but cannot remember her surname. Miss Herbert was the RE teacher and made the subject so interesting. Most of us loved her and RE. I could name nearly everyone in class 3HB as my memory is very good still. Could go on and on. Came across this site accidentally. Hope all that may be reading this are well and enjoying life. 

I went to Friern from 1961-68, Remember Mrs. Davis and Miss Herbert, Form teacher for 2 years was Mrs. Lutz an older lady who was a Quaker and lived in Lewisham. As I had a disability she ensured that I was treated well (no bullying around at that time) Remember that the class went on a trip somewhere in London and got soaked. In the annexe there was a classroom with an open fire- Mrs. Lutz herded us in there (it was not used as a classroom) and dried our coats and heated up all the mini bottles of milk so we could have a hot drink. She kept in touch with me when I went up to the Upper School (Goodrich Rd) and long after I left school and she retired wrote to me regularly, She moved to the Quaker Village in Bournville nr Birmingham with her husband and enrolled in various classes( I recall she did American Literature). We wrote usually Christmas time and she was aware that I had a daughter in 1973 and enquired after her. She was well in her 80s by that time, widowed but still interested in the world. I assumed that she had died when I did not get a Christmas card and letter (1975ish).

Remember - Jackie Harvey, Irene Gane, Waverly Braithwaite,. Jenny Bishop Pat Old, Jennifer Snell, Diane Richardson, Maxine Braithwaite(?)  Penny Allen, Gillian?. Miss Thompson Head Mistress with her chintz suits, Mrs. Pringle deputy who became Head. Miss Reese, Miss Vine, Mrs. Balinas (History)