I confronted a thuggish dog fouler (Lounged)

poppylucky

Since i've only been in the area for a few months now, i tend to notice things (sometimes trivial you may say!) that others may have overlooked or prefer not to notice.

One thing i did notice was the amount of dog poo left behind on the streets of Dulwich by dog owners that are unwillng to clean up the mess after their own dogs have pooed on the pavements.

I had 2 altercations with dog owners already, one was just this week, when i saw a young man walking his 'status' Mastiff dog on East Dulwich Road, the dog fouled the pavement and the young man did'nt seem in the slightest concerned, i was so incensed at that, that i went up to him and indicated what his dog had just done and told him would'nt it be a sensible thing to clean up after your dog, otherwise don't keep one. Well the abuse that came out of his mouth is unprintable here, calling me a nosey fat c*w and to p*** off was the least expletives of the abuse! I thought to myself, i'm not having that and called the Police and told them what happened, their response was 'You can come and make a report at the local station' - well what use it that? I wanted the young thug to be preosecuted and not allowed to keep a pet if he could'nt look afer it, is;nt that why we have those fines and anti-social behaviour legislation for?.

I like to live in a nice, clean and friendly environment, so i think i was doing the right thing to confront those that choose to disregard basic good behaviour, maybe i'm being matronly, am i? i hope not!.

I have also many friends who happen to be responsible dog owners, so its really only a few and a minority that seem to think dog fouling is acceptable.

You like to live in a "nice, clean and friendly" environment yet, knowing the response you were likely to get still insisted on having it out with a "thuggish" dog owner? Is that not provoking an unpleasant environment and going against what you are aiming for? I assume you didn't just stand there saying nothing in reply to the verbal "abuse"?

I agree dog owners should be responsible for the animals mess and good for you for approaching a wrong doer but sometimes such actions can make a situation worse - as you described with the response you had received.

I wouldn't agree with the attitude that people such as this think it's acceptable to allow dog fouling but more a case of they can't be bothered to clear up the mess.

You mention prosecution? Of what kind would you think was acceptable? What really did you think the police would do when you called them? They weren't there to witness the scene. If they had have been what would the chances have been for getting a telling off yourself for creating a scene.

I appreciate your point here being if we let people off for the smaller crimes... stand up against those that openly do wrong... the move to stop crime... make an example... blah blah blah

But really... people will still get away with it and I'm not too sure you yourself (I mean no offense here) practise what you preach - "disregard to good behaviour" of which you were "incensed" to approach someone you didn't know, that you described as "thuggish", not knowing what the end result would have been. What would have happened if the "thug" had set his dog on you? Or pulled a knife/weapon? Did you think before acting?

No I'm not suggesting nothing should have been done but you could have put yourself and others at risk too. Social responsibility...

Good on you, Poppy. Not many people would challenge this behaviour (case in point Kalamity Kel), hence why it is considered acceptable by some dog owners.

Anyway, ignore the naysayers, of which you may encounter a few; perhaps they actually like treading in crap or perhaps are simply embarrassed by their own behaviour or spinelessness?

Well done too. I think the second posting misses the point entirely. The first paragraph suggests that by even confronting the dog owner you were by definition making it an unpleasant place to live in. What tosh.

I also confront those I see letting their dogs poo without clearing it up. But I always make sure I have a nearby witness too.

Yes you are right, i should have actually held those litterers to account, but was bit intimidated by them to be honest as they had one of those bull terrier type dogs that looked quite menacing, aswell as the adults themselves!. so no i thought it wise not to say anything just in case they turned on me. In many cases i would'nt have hesitated but i did then and for good reason.

Bit braver these days, good show.

so you want the young thug to be prosecuted and not allowed to keep a pet, you call the police,they ask you to come and make a report and judging by your response you don,t, and instead start another thread in the long list of whinging posts about this, that and the other happening. if you,re so bloody concerned i suggest doing what the police asked you to do in the first place, you might then find then a bit more action being taken.

Good for you poppylucky I quite agree, and I think KK has gone a bit over the top although she is normally a sane relaxed poster, it proves we dont get it right all the time.

The pea brained bruiser dog owners club, are seemingly too arrogant to look after their dogs in society, it is somehow beneath them to clean up, it is not macho.

To challenge one as you so courageously did takes 'balls', and I very much admire your determination and tenacity.

Why should these brainless louts inflict their filth on the rest of us.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> a bit harsh JSW?

i really don,t think so, if she was so concerned to confront this person in the first place and then contact the fuzz, why then turn down their offer and instead come on here, what are we going to do compile a dossier on anti-social behaviour before submitting it to a court in the hope of getting a summons or asbo etc. no we,re not but the right people will, ie the council and police. they,re the people who need to know about it not me.

Poppy, you're improving. You've certainly hit a richer theme, and it was a good idea to cut down on the dialogue, as you couldn't really handle it. The reported speech is, even so, a little rickety.

About 7/10 I'd say. If this thread rumbles on tediously for about 6 pages of discussion about social responsibilities, I suppose that'll be up to about an 8.

Yes, Ted.. I agree there's an improvement in the overall writing. And the dog-fouling / social responsibility is 'almost' low-key and suburban-minded enough to get in under the radar. But we're not there yet.

Stick at it, Poppy.

Everyone hates dog shit, it is a problem, if a Policeman or Park Warden had seen it, he would have been given a fine. I have a dog, if I see someone ignoring their dog crapping, I walk over and say "would you like a bag?" and hand it to them. I'm not as brave as Poppy and over the years I've learned that if I do it that way it means I'm less likely to have abuse hurled at me. I totally understand that at times it makes you so outraged that you have to say something, or write on a forum, simple as that. In Australia if you drop litter or allow your dog to foul a street, the level of social disgust and outrage lets you know you're a prize loser, as a result it happens less.

What I'd like to know is, what gives with some of the posters on this thread? Dragging up previously written paragraphs by Polly and scoring her evolving bravery and language skills! And anyone who doesn't want to read, can choose not to. And what's suburban about not wanting dog shit in your street? Perhaps some of us are so above the problems of dog shit that they saintly hovver over each pile they come across.

If you don't want your time wasted by posts that you think are beneath the forum, don't read them.

Good for you Polly, but be careful, there are a lot of dickheads out there.

who_cares - you seem to care a lot for someone who doesn't care.

At the risk of appearing cliquey - Poppylucky has a bit of a previous history as someone who gets into the most awful scrapes and some of us take them with a large pinch of salt.

It's all a bit of fun so don't get too uptight about it.

Hi,

You need to contact Jonathan Toy Head of Community Safety about this at the Council. It helps if you can log the dog fouling with the Environmental Contact Centre (make sure you get a name and reference) so that you can quote this.