Adult fitness and exercise things in Peckham Rye Park

You haven't been out to see it then, have you Nero.

There were loads of adults on all of the bits of machinery!

Good for them!

Whether it will attract NEW people to exercise as distinct from people who exercise regularly anyway, we will see. I certainly would not as I said in the first post. But already it has caught on and I think it's fab.

Mick Mac, this is pedantry of the highest order so I apologise - but isn't it a hippo?

(or did you MEAN a river horse....)

More importantly, they is rubbish, innit. It would be so nice if the Council would replace them with ones that move.

cate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Right next to the skateboard park.

Where is that then? I've never seen that?What's the neares road junction to it, can aonyone say, or offer directions?

Also what sort of stuff is there?

Er.. cate... sorry but the "duck pond" is actually the LAKE. I know this because Southwark Council spent a lot of money making signs telling us that it is a LAKE. So that's what it must be. "Pond" indeed. Pahhh..

Yes, the adult exercise things are on SE15 side of the park, and by the skateboard area. Likewise I saw lots of little kids on them, yet Southwark Council spent a lot of money on signs telling us it is for over 12s only. And they spent a lot of money on signs saying that dogs should be on leads in certain areas of the park, yet the park keepers were clearing out the water fountain area in the middle of the Sexby Garden once again because dogs jumping in shortcut the electric bits that make the water fountain go whoosh. Apparently.

We are signed out, it would appear.

From Wiki:

A pond is a body of water smaller than a lake, both being examples of terrain features. Although the term pond is universally used to describe waterbodies that are smaller than lakes, an internationally recognised size cutoff has not yet been agreed, with values ranging from 2 hectares (20,000 m2) to 8 hectares (80,000 m2) used to distinguish the smaller from the larger waterbody.

Personally I think the gym is a stroke of genius although the machines could do with a drop of oil already (they creak and squeak), and they should have built in a means of increasing or decreasing the resistance.

The annoying bit is that the area is covered with kids and pushchairs every time I have wandered past....but I expect if I turned up in my mankini and started limbering up the parents would soon disappear with their kids.

The thought of a gentle jog followed by a short workout close to home is getting more and more attractive as the weather gets better. Best of all, it's free!

just one lil warning, if you have v small kids watch them on the seated devices. the ones for pecs and arm strength. the seat moves and kids who stand on them to reach the 'arms' will fall off as they bring the arm pieces down and the seat moves. then they bang the back of head on the front of the metal seat which produces..an egg ! on my girl it was a large one. Id looked away for 2 secs tending to my older one when, wham!

sorry bout your child but these machines are not meant for them. its pretty obvious that they are too big for them and it does state that they suitable for over 12's . You woulnt find young kids allowed in a gym !

My thoughts exactly... the machines aren't meant for small children, and there are signs stating that. I have small kids, we use the playground - I think it's a shame that the gym equipment is swarming with children as it could be a great facility for people who want to use it properly.