best fish and chips?

Hello!

Finally moving to East Dulwich tmrw - v excited! TO celebrate we'll be having the traditional champers and fish&chips once the removal men are out the way - where's the best place to go? Our new place is just behind Goose Green, the nearest places I've seen so far are Klassy and Sea Cow....

The Sea Cow is too expensive and the staff are indifferent at best, surly at worst. I rate Cod Fella's on Bellenden Road. Proper chippy, well priced, friendly staff, delicious chips and you get to choose your own piece of fish form the selection.

I'll throw some weight at Sema's on Underhill road. Awesome place with serious fatboy portions. The one on North Cross Road opposite Uplands is also very good too. I reckon Sea Cow is overpriced and I've had the ropey little end of the night style chips a couple of times on takeaway there. It's always been great when eating in there though.

I'm a big fan of Sea Cow but recently tried Ken's on Half Moon Lane (North Dulwich) and was very impressed with freshness, quality and price. Haven't got round to trying Jolly Bee yet but it does smell good every time I wander past.

I'm looking at this thread with interest, as a Saturday ritual for me and Mini-Casual (or under 5!) is to go for Fish and Chips. The only place we know that you can sit down is The Sea Cow. Any other suggestions would be welcome

My experience is that it is a bit too expensive, but generally the food is nice, so I accept it. Last time the fat used was patently not hot enough, and the batter was limp and pallid, so we tried The Bishop the following week, which was much better, but more expensive again.

For what it's worth, the guys in The Sea Cow have always been really nice to both me and the little one and until recently they have done nice fish but for some reason, yes I'd agree that the girl/woman in there is a bit moody. Dunno why, but that's my experience from every visit.

I might give them another shot in a little while to see if the soggy batter was a one off.

'Something Fishy' on Lewisham high street is really very good. They also do traditional pie n' mash, but obviously this is a long way to go for a sit down meal. Ollie's in Herne Hill is good too, again a bit overpriced though just like Sea Cow IMO.

Louisa.

although pricey - SEA COW- for eating in and take away. best avoid closing time (10-1030) as you get tired chips.

Thie fish is awesome though, mainly because batters so light it preserves the tast of the fish rather than coating it in a crust like most.

sea cow choice No.1