Barry Road (any comments?)

BARA

At our AGM last night attended by Sgt. Duncan Jackson, he asked local residents their views about walking in the Barry Road area. Were people nervous about using this street, or part of the street in view of 2 murders. Were they apprehensive going out alone or with others either during the day or evening. Duncan felt that some parts of Barry Road could do with brighter lighting and has approached Southwark's environment office re this. Unfortunately, Southwark's officers feel that lighting is adequate for Barry Road. Any comments about Barry Road or other roads in East Dulwich, would be appreciated.

Are there particular bus stops in the area where you feel vulnerable due to overgrown trees/bushes etc.

Any comments will be passed onto Duncan and the Safer Neighbourhood Police Team.

I feel no less safe than I ever did on Barry Road, or indeed in the whole of the safe, increasingly middle-class, family-overrun borough of East Dulwich.

How utterly ridiculous.

This has been discussed at length in another thread - Joe Average is no more at risk of being a victim of crime than ever - both murders were not indescriminate - if they had been, that might alter things. As it is both victims were known to the perpetrators. If you're going to be murdered it's more likely to be your own husband than a random stranger.

I agree that the lighting is adequate on Barry Road.

There's other locations in the area that would benefit far more from having money spent on them besides a road that has the unfortunate coincidence of having had 2 murders on it within a highly-mobilised, technically savvy demographic.

I use Barry Road frequently, including at night, and I don't feel unsafe.

This kind of approach, whilst no doubt meant well, is just encouraging people to feel unnecessarily nervous.

Vulnerable due to overgrown trees/bushes at a bus stop?! On a busy main road?! Whatever next (no, don't tell me :) )

I live just off Barry road so use it daily.. I dont feel unsafe or in particular any less safe than two murders ago. I agree the cars sometimes drive too fast but then the karma police come along and stick a 12 in front of them and the whole road slows down which is good for us pedestrians..

Only thing that has changed for me since the two murders is now when I go to my local shops I spare a thought for those two dead people..

Would I feel completely safe walking around at night? probably not but I wouldnt feel completely safe anywhere in London at night on my own..

I have to say that I have never felt unsafe anywhere south of East Dulwich Road. Barry Road is generally one of the nicest tree lined streets in the area and overall I have never once been a victim of crime so I cannot comment from that perspective, as others have said, these murders were not indiscriminate.

Louisa.

Hi - from someone the other side of the Park who walks quite a bit including up Barry Road via across the park in the dark.

As someone else has said, the murdered people sadly were specific targets. So it makes Barry Road no less safe than any other road.

And I don't feel unsafe (hold on, double negatives confuse me) - I feel safe anywhere I walk even north of East Dulwich Road. And at night. And that includes in Peckham. Making an "issue" out of it somehow makes people feel they should be frightened, and so they become frightened, then start telling people how dangerous it all is.

My comment was not to say that people feel more nervous since these events. At the AGM, everyone assured Duncan that our perception of the area was just the same as it was. Nobody had become concerned about using the street, those of us who live on Barry Road, are still happy to live there. It was just 'bad luck' that 2 incidents occured in a short space of

time. This posting was NOT to make an issue out of the situation, just passing on comments that were made at an AGM which covers the area from Friern Road to Crystal Palace Road. The bulk of Duncan's talk was on other policing issues unrelated to Barry Road. Obviously if some people do feel uncomfortable in certain areas of East Dulwich ( there are very few areas if any which come to mind) here was the opportunity to express them.

Just to add to my comments - I feel very safe walking alone at night in the area. Not met anyone who feels unsafe,

The bushes/overgrown areas featured as sometimes these obstruct a clear view of the pavement ahead.

It may have been a much older person with reduced mobility who initially raised this with the Police. They are more likely to be affected by the fear of crime, rather than crime itself.

the gradient coming from the Church end is just perfect to maintain 30 mph in a car out of gear (speed table included)

but seriously, I like Barry Road as it is, there have been occasional crimes in the 15 years I have lived in the area, some serious some less so, but it is no worse then anywhere else (excluding for the sake of arguments 2 murders which could have happened anywhere in the UK)

The Bushes point from BARA above is a good one, and it is something we should ask the community wardens to look into (asking the property owners to trim them back where necessary)

if I could, however, change one thing, it would be to bring back the route masters and to condem the bendy buses to hell. (just a personal thing) as they make Barry Road a nightmare when they pass each other (oh and bring the bus stops back in line with the pavements like they used to be)

I walk/cycle everywhere in the SE postcode - from New Cross through Nunhead to Dog Kennel Hill taking in North Peckham extending up to Camberwell at all times of day.

As a white middle-class bloke with no known enemies, owning/carrying nothing of considerable value yadda yadda yadda, I'm more likely to be kidnapped by mountain goats than be a victim of crime in the area.

Why would the 2 murders make anyone feel unsafe, one seemed like a "hit", the other a domestic, it's not like people just get shot whilst walking along minding their own business. Barry Road is lovely, and the only reason to feel unsafe is because of the traffic.

I used to live on Barry Road and 'trembles' aside loved it. Like the fact that it's this long straight road, some nice big houses and trees, far grander than the pokey terraces around the Lane. It's a great bit of townscape affording a view of the common at one end and the church at the other. Don't know if it's true, but someone once told me it's exactly one mile long...

Could we make it the junction with Nunhead Lane, that way we get to keep the grand houses overlooking the common, good to keep a sense of perspective how the other half lives (at a safe distance), besides that junction would be the perfect place for a tollbooth/gunpoint...