considering a move... can you help re area?

My partner and I live in East Dulwich and have been trying to buy a house here for some time. We've found one we like within our price range, however as with most properties that fall within our budget it is outside of East Dulwich. I was wondering if anybody knows the area round Dylways off Denmark Hill, also near sunray, and if you could tell me if it's rough? It's near an estate but during the day it looked alright... no grafitti etc. The house is ideal and it's near all those lovely old houses just off denmark hill, but the estate is a worry. Any help (don't spare me, I can take bad news) would be much appreciated.

love and thanks!

Hi Clarabelle - I actually grew up from the age of 3 in Dylways and my Mum and Dad are still there and also four doors along is also my sister and her family.

I think although it's "an estate" it's not rough at all, compared to some places. I would still feel safe walking around there at night, although probably because I grew up there and lived there until the age of 29 - and know the area. But you are near all the local schools, bus routes, parks, train stations etc.

The estate is kept clean as far as I know - my mother and father-in-law live in the flats near the parade of shops in Crossthwaithe Avenue. They have had trouble with youths on motor bikes in that part of the estate but I think that has died down now.

I still walk around the estate and know a lot of people living there.

One of the ex-council houses... yeah I think that's a good buy, some of them are quite nice. It's fine round there, not rough at all.

I lived on the actual estate (Basington Way) for 6 months, and it was fine there too. Very quiet... of course you got a few teenagers around but I never saw any trouble. Very little sign of vandalism or graffiti, and I used to come and go at all times of night and never felt threatened. The only hassle I ever got was from the bloody traffic wardens.

That is extremely helpful everyone! Thanks so much, feel much better about it now. :)-D will show this thread to the OH! northlondoner, I will have a look at some of the Forest Hill properties you mentioned. Minder, your post has really put my mind at ease! We'll go and have another goosey and maybe put an offer in! Keep your fingers and toes crossed for us!

CB

Hi, I lived in Crossthwaite Avenue for 4 years and wouldn't say it was rough at all - I always felt comfortable coming home in the dark late at night. You do get a few kids from the estate misbehaving occassionally (they used to climb onto my hedge and sometimes into my garden - did a bit of damage to the hedge but no malicious harm, letting off fireworks in teh street around bonfire night, that kind of thing) but other than that it's fine and a very handy location in that you're so close to dulwich, denmark hill and camberwell.

Good luck with the house hunting!