The Duke...its a struggle

jacki

Hi I am always happy to see new businesses and support people who have a go !! Unfortunately The Duke is another one of those pubs which is going to struggle.We took ourselves off there last night after passing on several occassions and seeing various reccommendations on hear. We thought now they advertising pizza and free glasswine/beer for ?9.00 lets go and try it out ! We arrived at 8.45 only to be told the Pizza would take half hour as the people had gone shopping...ok fine but what people ? The locals ? My other half was quick onthe uptake and said probably the people that worked there...By 9.45 very hungry by then I went back to the bar and was told pizza's couldn't be made as they had no ingredients and we could order something else ! I a little irritated said that we had gone there for pizza and having waited for almost 1 hour we would prefer to wait but what time did the kitchen close ? In 10mins he told me ..ok I thought what time are the people going to be back ...soon ! We did eventually get served a pizza for ?9.00 each no free drink as we had paid for the drinks as we went along when asked about the free drink we where just smiled at. Sadly I dont think we shall be trying it again unless its drastically changes !! The barman seemed sweet and friendly enough...I think there was perhaps eight people in there so obviously there are more places to discover .....

I'm not being funny, but what kind of idiot waits for an hour to be served food? I would have waited 20 minutes tops and then walked out or if I was that desperate for a stuipid pizza gone home and made one myself! Some people!

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Formerly the Edinburgh Castle and then something

> else that i'm sure a yuppy on here will remember

> the name of. On Nunhead lane near the traffic

> lights.

>

> Louisa.

Ha ha ha ha ha.:)-D No, sorry it wasn't called that either. Erm....I can't remember.

I was in there when the football was on last week - busiest I've seen in in the past 2 years.

The pizzas looked good, though not quite Gowlett standard.

I think it's run by a Polish couple - they have the right idea with the pizzas and such (anyone remember the brief doomed Tapas period with the Comic Sans sign out the front?) and there looked to be some kind of live music kicking off after the football.

That bit in the back still feels like a waiting room in a train station and is devoid of atmosphere. ?3 for a pint of Guinness though, you won't find cheaper than that around these parts... might go back another time to see what it's like when there's no match on.

Louisa Wrote:

> Formerly the Edinburgh Castle and then something

> else that i'm sure a yuppy on here will remember

> the name of. On Nunhead lane near the traffic

> lights.

>

xxxxxxxx

I'm not a yuppy - do they have good memories or something?

I don't know what this place became immediately after the Edinburgh Castle, but it was the Page One Bar for some time, then the Village Inn or something similar with a hideous sign nothing like an inn for a short time, then it became the Duke.

beef Wrote:

> The duke, and all it's previous incarnations have

> failed because it doesn't work as a social space.

> Someone needs to turn into into a nice deli, like

> the frog place nearby.

xxxxxx

What frog place??

>

> xxxxxx

>

> What frog place??

Frog on the Green on Consort Road.

Great deli, barely any scoffing EDites make it over there either due to Nunhead's rampant crime stats and hourly drive-by shootings. Meaning you can usually get a seat.

I don't think opening another deli within 5 minutes' walk would really do anyone any favours though...

lenk Wrote:

> >

> > xxxxxx

> >

> > What frog place??

>

> Frog on the Green on Consort Road.

>

> Great deli, barely any scoffing EDites make it

> over there either due to Nunhead's rampant crime

> stats and hourly drive-by shootings. Meaning you

> can usually get a seat.

>

> I don't think opening another deli within 5

> minutes' walk would really do anyone any favours

> though...

xxxxx

Thanks - will check it out :)

Is it new?

No, wouldn't be doing anyone any favours but the site has been failing for many years as a pub, a deli was my first thought as an alternative due to the large space provided and chance to keep all the original fittings. I would hate to see it turned into residential property as the place would be gutted.

I'm not being funny, but what kind of idiot waits for an hour to be served food? I would have waited 20 minutes tops and then walked out or if I was that desperate for a stuipid pizza gone home and made one myself! Some people!

Louisa.

Sue Wrote:

> lenk Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > >

> > > xxxxxx

> > >

> > > What frog place??

> >

> > Frog on the Green on Consort Road.

> >

> > Great deli, barely any scoffing EDites make it

> > over there either due to Nunhead's rampant

> crime

> > stats and hourly drive-by shootings. Meaning

> you

> > can usually get a seat.

> >

> > I don't think opening another deli within 5

> > minutes' walk would really do anyone any

> favours

> > though...

>

> xxxxx

>

> Thanks - will check it out :)

>

> Is it new?

I remember it being there beginning of last year, they do nice range of salads and bits and pieces of hot food as well + homemade cakes - and if i remember right you can wash it down with a decent bottle of beer...

EOTR - really? Shame. I was reading an interview with the new owners (coincedentally in the Frog on the Green) and it sounded like they had the right idea, albeit it sounds like they aren't managing to implement it perfectly. I think they were always going to struggle though - the previous owners (also owners of the Gowlett?) served good food and good wines etc, but it was still always empty. Don't think the location can support the sort of pub they tried to run.

When Duke first changed hands a year or so ago it was great, popped in for a couple of cracking roasts, but most recent experience (1 month ago) was a bit different - seemed to be different owners with a whole new style. Frog on the Green on the other hand is absolutely superb and open until 8pm all weekdays so dead handy for picking up last min dinner options on way home - check out their meat pies, made fresh on the premises and a steal for a fiver.