Horse riding in East Dulwich

Is there anywhere around here where you can just turn up and they provide everything you need to go horseriding? (A stables perhaps?)

Assuming the rider is good enough to ride without instruction then how much does it cost for a ride?

What about lessons - how much do they cost?

there's a stables on the South circular just near the park entrance and before you get to the Harvesters. You can't just turn up but you can book, I think it's about ?20 an hour. They only trudge round a barn though but it's worth ringing them.

Sean beat me to it, that's the one.

I have been riding at those stables and it really is rather a disappointment. I don't think the animals have a particularly nice life - always tethered in boxes, confined - no real space for them to exercise when not in lessons. There is a terrific stables out in Chelsfield, but you need a car to get there. The animals have lots of space and you can take them out for a hack in the fields too - not just structured lessons.

Horse riding by the sea in Ireland with the wind in your hair - paradise!

Hilarious. I was just idl... I mean working away when I read Nero's response. Hilarious, now my colleagues will guess I'm not working from my shaking shoulders. Very funny. I had a few lessons at the Dulwich Riding stables. The horses are beautifully kept - it's brilliant as a school but not much fun. I also used to go the riding stables in Chelsfield - excellent, but sadly now moved away.

You could always wait until Zippos circus is back on the Rye. They have a couple of old nags and I'm sure if you bunged the ringmaster a tenner he'd let you have a go.

Downside is you may have to do it in the ring, wearing a leotard.

I know it's a fair old hack, excuse the pun, but there's a great stables and riding school in Bexley called Mount Mascal (sp?) It's about ?20 per hr for a group lesson or ?25 for a 1 to 1, hacks are based on length of time, starting at about ?22.

• 1 year later...
I learned to ride at Dulwich Riding Stables years ago, but stopped when I couldn't afford it anymore. Apparently this is the stables that taught Jenny Agutter to ride for when she filmed Equus. I also thought it was rather a small stables to be honest but maybe the horses are allowed to ride around the park with the more experienced riders?

I recently saw two people on horseback emerge from the stable entrance into Dulwich Park (they have a gate leading directly to the park I think) and proceed to ride around on the clay/sand track. And thinking about it, I have seen horseshoe markings on the track now and again, so I assume you get to ride the horses around the park if you are a competent-enough rider? Same set-up as Hyde Park perhaps - they have a similar track for horseriding there.

I would def NOT recommend Mount Mascals. The horses are worked for up to 8 hours a day, very hard and the atmosphere down there I personally dislike. AFter working as an instructor in serveal stables, I would not recommend any London stables, but would suggest going for a nice drive either Mottingham/Cobham for horese that are well kept and for a much higher calibre of staff and ride. Stag Lodge in Richmond park is possibly the worst for horse welfare- have had investigations into it, but they always manage to hide it. THere horses live in a stable 24/7 and some have never been in a field since they arrived. They also work there horses for 8 hours a day, often without water in between. Not what you expect when you pay ?55 an hour?

I used to ride at the Dulwich school just off the South Circular and I see it's already had mixed reviews on this thread. I wouldn't recommend them at all. They take your money then act like they are doing you a favour - I found them to be most unfriendly. Good manners cost nothing. I think you'll find that the best places are out of London

I ride every weekend, either at Dulwich or up in Yorkshire. It is true that you have to get out of London for a really good stables. The place I go to up North has much bigger, nicer, outdoor arenas than Dulwich, but then it is in a small village, not just off the South Circular. However Dulwich is a good, fun stables that teaches people how to ride, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

The beginners classes are a little pedestrian, but it is unfair to say they don't give instruction. They teach the kids how to walk and trot and steer, which really has to be mastered before going on to anything else. A couple of private lessons are probably a good idea for adult learners, but with a bit of work you can progress up though the classes to more demanding rides.

In short: there is nothing like riding in the countryside, but I like Dulwich and enjoy riding there.

My 12 yr old daughter rides at Mottingham Farm

020 8857 3003

current price is ?20 / hr.

Timing for lessons is haphazard at times but she's been going for 7 years now and loves it.

Classes run for children and adults.

They tend to ride out across the fields so not too restricted.

A bit further away than Dulwich Stables but might be worth checking out.