The Barry Barry Bear

The organising committee of this years 2nd annaul Barry Barry Road Race are in the advanced stages of planning for the event. We are however at a loss as to the exact identity of last years winning athlete and the whereabouts of the Prestigous Barry Bear. I think I last saw it in Bar Story but then again that may not have been the Barry Bear.

Further details to follow re the actual "race" but can anyone help track down the Bear or know how to get it back so it can be presented to this years winner. Format same as last year.

I'm in training to beat last years PB of 37 minutes.

Help-Ma-Boab Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We are however at a loss as to the exact identity of last years

> winning athlete and the whereabouts of the

> Prestigous Barry Bear.

The bear is safe, and if you want to keep him that way you'd better follow my instructions...TO THE LETTER! We'd hate him to have an accident now wouldn't we...

There have been several, at times heated discussions about this years event and format. These ranged from running uphill, to involving scooters and even putting in a "hurdle" at the Barry Off Licence. However, an event as pure as the Barry Barry Run should retain its ethos and as such the status quo remains, also if the format was reversed I'd need to set of the night before to reach the finish! ( I think my previous PB was nearer the 60 min mark on reflection)

We need to find the trophy and help with this appreciated.

Thanks all for the responses. Negotiations are at an advanced stage for the safe return of the Barry Bear and it looks promising. Plan for final date not yet fully confirmed but will be early June. Awaiting confirmation from an international select team of "athletes" from Oz. The Barry Barry Run has gone international......

Will let you know date in good time.

Cheers and time to get training!......CHARGE!!!!!

david_carnell Wrote:

> Good work lads - I plan to compete again. Get thee

> behind me MacGabhan!

Especially if you're going to try for your ?250 again with your table trick.... :-) Laughing at that did slow me down I have to say!

Now the Bear is safe, as evelknievel says this years "race" is scheduled for the 13th June. The starting gun is 13.00hrs at the Plough. Finishing point (for me 13.57hrs) at the Clockhouse. Will post later on nearer the time with some useful "hints & tips" about the day.

Early notice for you busy "athletes".

Attached for info.

Glad to see the intrest has started early. Overwhelmed with relief that Barry Bear is safe if not as sound as he was.

Have not contacted the Plough or Clockhouse in regards to this but if memory serves from last year they were keen to be involved, do they post or participate on the EDF does anyone know?

Invite below, as always, all welcome (except those running club beasts from last year, ringers that they are):

Dear Runners and Riders

Once again the time is nearly upon us for the highlight of the summer, the race which I know most of you have been training all year for. The culmination of all those boozy Saturday sessions and running for all those busses. Yes the Barry Barry Road Race is back!

Now for those of you new comers to this great event, I direct you to the attached word doc that will provide info on the concept of the race (see above post). But the bones of it is thus;

The race starts from the top of Barry Road in East Dulwich at the Plough pub at 1300 hours but pre dinking, drinking commences from opening time:

http://theploughdulwich.co.uk/

1 pint and 1 shot of competitors choosing (1/2 pint or bottle at the ladies discretion) must be consumed as fast as possible before running commences. Its then a quick dash down Barry road for 0.8 miles until we reach the finishing line of The Clockhouse pub at the bottom of Barry road:

http://www.clockhousepub.com/

However the race doesn't finish until a 2nd pint and shot of competitors choosing is consumed as fast as possible. The winner is the first one to finish the run, 2nd pint and shot.

Last year was the inaugural race and was a resounding success, even though we were infiltrated and it was won by ringers. The prize is the, now legendary, Barry Barry Bear (only if we can locate last year's winner and prise it off him) and of course the glory.

The rest of the day is for yourself but last year saw a great session in the clockhouse with BBQ blazing and then an even better evening session in Bar Story where piggy back racing and barrel walking were both prominent events. So why break from such a winning tradition.

The date of the event is Saturday June 13th and the starting gun will go off at 1300 hours. Please confirm with a Yay or Nay your attendance

Photo's of last year's event can be found at - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=39040&id=595206862&l=15b2923217

Please forward on to anyone you think would be interested and those I have missed.

See ya on the start line friends

surfbobby Wrote:

> Invite below, as always, all welcome (except those

> running club beasts from last year, ringers that

> they are):

We've still got your bear, better re-think that.

> The prize is the, now legendary, Barry Barry Bear (only if

> we can locate last year's winner and prise it off

> him) and of course the glory.

You'll get your bear, it'll be on the back of the 13:29 mins past bus heading for the clockhouse....better get practicing.....