Dulwich Leisure Centre - Refurbishment update April 2009

zephyr

Just got an email for those interested in the refurb:

We are delighted that you have taken an interest and have asked to be kept informed about the Investing in Leisure Programme at Dulwich Leisure Centre.

The refurbishment project is gathering momentum and there are a number of exciting developments to report since our last communication in July 2008;

1. Planning approval was granted for the refurbishment scheme on January 27 2009. Due to the building being Grade II listed and a Council scheme, we were required to seek additional approval from the Government Office for London. This final approval was given on February 23 2009, therefore the plans you may have seen on display in the Centre will now become reality!

2. Refurbishment works are due to commence on Tuesday May 5 2009. You may also have noticed the scaffolding in place on East Dulwich Road. This has served a dual purpose. Firstly, it has allowed our contractor to survey all the high level roof areas; helping us to better understand the building and instigate appropriate restoration work. Secondly, the scaffolding will allow craftsmen to undertake detailed repairs to the East Dulwich Road fa?ade and clock tower when the main refurbishment gets under way.

3. The pool will be taken out of service on Tuesday May 5 2009 to allow for upgrade works in this area to progress. Whilst it is unfortunate that swimming facilities will not be available until spring 2010, when the new pool opens in 2010, customers will see significantly improved pool and changing facilities.

4. Gym facilities will be available throughout the refurbishment works. The refurbishment works are being phased, and the new pool and disability-compliant entrance at the southern end of the Centre will be delivered first. Although your gym and changing facilities will be open as usual, there may be small amounts of disruption from the construction works. We apologise for this and will aim to keep disruption to a minimum.

5. New Frequently Asked Questions are now available on the Southwark web site (see link route below) and additional paper copies are at the Centre. If your question is not answered there, please use the online form or the address above and we will respond to you directly.

You can also still see previous communications from the refurbishment project last year by visiting our web site www.southwark.gov.uk, on the left hand side click on ?Sports and Leisure?, select the option ?Investing in Leisure? and from there you will see a link to the Dulwich Leisure Centre web page. If you wish to be posted a copy please request this from the address overleaf.

If you are currently a member at the Centre, we will be contacting you shortly to explain how the pool closure will affect your membership. In the event that this letter is not received, please contact the Membership Team at the Centre by calling 0208 693 1833 and they will provide assistance.

Southwark Council is committed to providing top class swimming and leisure facilities to all residents and users in the borough, and is making this ?5 million investment for the wellbeing of its users now and for years to come.

Yours sincerely

Councillor Lewis Robinson

Executive Member for Culture, Leisure & Sports