Harris Academy (new boys school for East Dulwich)

Prediction:

Within five years of opening:

The selection criteria will exclude most working class boys. Very few of the pupils will be from North of Peckham Road/Peckham High Street. Many parents will be those who can't afford, or won't pay, the fees for Alleyns or Dulwich College. The property prices in the East Dulwich Bermuda Triangle will double. The school will be renamed "Honor Oak".

Yes there is a Harris Academy in Peckham Rye and also one in Bermondsey. Both were sink schools back in my day, one being Alwyn Girls and the other Waverley Girls. I think I read somewhere that there is a Lord Harris of Dulwich. I wonder if they are named for him? Anyone know this?

"Academies are privately sponsored state schools which are run outside of local authority control. They are new schools set up to replace the failing ones; the government puts in up to ?30m to build the school and the sponsor donates ?2m, then is granted control of the school's governing body."

http://education.guardian.co.uk/newschools/story/0,,1568357,00.html

Harris academies are sponsored by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Harris_of_Peckham

and a whole bundle of schools make up http://www.harrisfederation.org.uk/

There is a lot of opposition to academies due to their undemocratic nature.

There's an "exciting" business opportunity here.

With the girls' school and the boys' school taken together there will be 1900 pupils plus a couple of hundred staff.

I see an opening for a profitable unhealthy food shop on the Forest Hill Road parade. It could sell sweets, crisps, cakes, biscuits, pies, fizzy drinks, and ice creams. It could also double up as a dinner-time and after school chippie and burger bar.

Seriously folks this has become a very urgent and worrying issue. Those of us that live in the vicinity are somewhat aghast at the scale of the new proposals and the impact they will have on the houses and streets around the school. 350 girls was one thing ....950 boys on such a small site is quite another! Local residents are not against the development of the site as a school or sixth form centre but not on this scale and housed in a new 4 storey building that will cover most of the site. There is an urgent campaign to get a proper consultation exercise done and local councillors etc are now involved. A website has just been set up - very new so more stuff is to be added. Take a look and lend your support if you can. www.edge-campaign.co.uk

Thank you, anntidote.

I was wondering about the site-size to pupil ratio. I see the answer may be to exclude residents from 4.2 acres of Peckham Rye Park.

Is there any hard information about increasing the girls at Waverley School (now Sports Academy?) to 950?

Not so sure about the girls school.. I've seen the plans for the boys' school and they're really worrying. The building they propose is 4 storeys high and comes right up to the boundaries on most sides, with little outside space. I personally think it will be a shame to lose the lovely Victorian building that is already there but even if they do have to build a new one, the one they propose is really too big and 950 pupils is just too many.

Please have a look at www,edge-campaign.co.uk, it's all there.

There is a meeting this Sunday 24 June at Upper Hall, Harris Girls' Academy, Homestall Road at 4.30 to 6pm. PLEASE ATTEND TO LEND YOUR SUPPORT.

Interesting to note:

Whilst the potential opening of a duplicate greetings card shop or where to get a decent cup of coffee has forum users locked in hot debate, plans for a controversial new school in SE22 seem to be generating less than a murmer.

Apart from the fact that the old victorian building seems destined for the chop, the new school is hopelessly oversized, has virtually no outside space and only one non-residential road running past it which (as anyone will note who's walked or driven down it) isn't capable of serving a school of this size. Everybody knows we need a new boys school in the area, but this is not the answer.

Im not sure if people are against the size of the proposal or the nature of the school (academy)

I can definitely see the impact on those living nearby but I'm at a loss as to what people's solution is. Is there a better location/locations for multiple schools? If it was multiple instead of one big one are there not cost implications? With so many people having children in the area there is only going to be increased demand for "this type of thing"

Whipping up quite a scare story, aren't you Bob? School run pickings on Northcross Road indeed. (this in reference to your post on the Piermont Green thread)

I like the idea of a spanking new school. Can't see why a nondescript Victorian building needs to be saved - perhaps its fascia if it is deemed noteworthy in some way. Building will occupy present site only. Perhaps if there are parking/ traffic problems there are other ways round that than denying the community a school, or imposing only a small one on it.

I think I was attempting to appeal to the selfish interests of forum users there (it usually works)

As I said, everyone wants a new school, Ted. But (regardless of the traffic issues) the government's own guidelines deem that this school is twice the recommended size for the amount of land it is to be built on.

Does this not ring any warning bells?

Yes it does. Perhaps better to object then on the grounds of the educational value to the students, and working environment of the teachers, than on the usual pres-the-button parking/ traffic/ naughty schoolkids angles.

(and to be fair you have done the former, too, I'm not unaware)

(EDIT. "Not unaware = "aware". Sorry, forgot I'm not being paid by the word!)

incredible - after years of campaigning for a new secondary school for local boys there is now a campaign to stop it - or at least force it through more and more layers of consulations, investigations and, inevitably, delays.

This has to be one of the most ludicrous examples of nimbyism I've heard of and those involved should take a long hard look at themsleves. Could some of the members of the "Edge" campaign be so kind as to suggest alternate locations? (I am at least assuming you accept the urgent need for such a school in East Dulwich). I would be fascinated to see where they are, I am guessing most will be at least half a mile of so from your back yards.

950 pupils too many? Oh so sorry. How many would you like? 448? 24? 949? Do you have any idea how long people have been pleading for more secondary school places in the area? Maybe some members of the "Edge" are lucky enough to go private but for some of us that's not an option .

And before you ask, yes I live nearby and will be affected by any increase in traffic that may ensue. Howevever I accept that as an inevitable consequence of living in a society that believes providing sufficient school places for local children is a good thing.

gotta say that i totally agree with Ted and Dibble, sounds like a lot of nimbyism to me

yeah the proposed building's big, but it's on the park and if part of the park is taken from dog walkers for the benefit of school children then they'll be no complaints from me