Crime Rate in Dulwich

cazkid

is it me, or has Dulwich become more crime ridden within the last six months. All i've heard about is Burglaries, Muggings, Drug Dealings and Theft! Obviously Dulwich has become an attraction for criminals due to the attitude that people feel safe in their own area, i no longer feel safe in Dulwich, i think its about time that some action is taken.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>it promotes the idea that you are

> about to be a victim every minute

Combine that with countless posts on here about 'suspicious man' (no crime committed) etc - if you didn't read this forum I imagine you'd not have a care in the world.

Try living somewhere that's actually dangerous for a bit and then come back to me.

Sean - what you said about the yellow noticeboards being everywhere - a couple of years ago my brother-in-law was violently attacked - had his jaw broken and beaten up at a bus stop on Denmark Hill by a group of youths.

When trying to get a yellow noticeboard there he was told by the police that couldn't "because it lowered the tone of the neighbourhood".

Shit , unless you're in a teenage "posse/gang", which, TLS accepted, most EDForumites are not, then you an your property were far more in jeopardy in South East London in the early-mid 1980s than nowadays..

*tsks about wimpy younger generations scaredof everything*

Dulwich is no different to anywhere else in london

I am in Pinner , Middlesex at the moment

we had 2 massive fights in december in the high st

a stabbing in a block of flats (drug related)

a stabbing in the high st ( one brother stabbing another while high on drugs )

2 of my currewnt customers are wearing the ankle rolex's at the moment ( both nicked for fighting in streets)

1 old lady mugged and left to die on a street in broad daylight

all this plus im sure more in what is supposed to be a rather upmarket area.

Im actually moving back south and thinking its safer than here

Crime rate in south london has always been high. What do you expect. In fact, since its become a yuppie area its gone nup. Rich pickings ets. Dont get me wrong i am not condoing it but the bottom end of east of east dulwich borrders on peckham rye. Have lived in the earea all my liife and am used to it, so i would say get used to it, or if you dont like it, move on.

lindylou Wrote:

> Crime rate in south london has always been high.

> What do you expect. In fact, since its become a

> yuppie area its gone nup. Rich pickings ets.

> Dont get me wrong i am not condoing it but the

> bottom end of east of east dulwich borrders on

> peckham rye. Have lived in the earea all my liife

> and am used to it, so i would say get used to it,

> or if you dont like it, move on.

Indeed. There's always those 'gated communities' you hear about out in Surrey if the fear of being a victim of crime gets too much.

I hear they interview everyone for suitability before they let you live there as well.

In some ways, it's perfect for many EDites.

I'd like to add that the "it's all about yuppy incomers" tirade is getting a little tired. People got mugged before the bug-a-boo invasion too, y'know, and the "i'm used to it" bollox is just as annoying. Crime figures have gone up since '76, one imagines, and each terrace in ED is no longer home to a single family, but 3 flats. Population expanded, crime rates increase roughly proportionately, or thereabouts, at the very least.

Lets not make yet another potentially interesting thread about bloody class-wars/blow-ins/whatever you kids are calling it these days when (*dramatic pause*) a person moves house, but you don't like their job/education/accent/parental income, or whatever other shitty criteria you use to define whether or not someone has the right to live in your manor.

Yeah but Sean, don?t resign yourself to it. If it means speaking about it to your neighbours, harassing the cops to address a specific issue, making people aware, do something.

Yes it happens but it?s not okay. It is definitely not okay.

I?ve lived in a place where the crime rate was out of control and all this, ?I?m ?ard me I?ve grown up with crime and who are you to say anything about it?, bullshit and then trying to put some stupid class spin on it is just stupid.

Believe me no matter how tough your London Veneer is it will be reduced to nothing if you witness first hand what can happen if you let violent crime get out of control.

Brendan Wrote:

> Yes it happens but it?s not okay. It is definitely

> not okay.

>

> I?ve lived in a place where the crime rate was out

> of control and all this, ?I?m ?ard me I?ve grown

> up with crime and who are you to say anything

> about it?, bullshit and then trying to put some

> stupid class spin on it is just stupid.

>

> Believe me no matter how tough your London Veneer

> is it will be reduced to nothing if you witness

> first hand what can happen if you let violent

> crime get out of control.

Couldn't agree more. Personally I'm not sure whether crime has changed much in ED over the last 10 years - I felt pretty safe then (even with the 'This is an anti-social behaviour blackspot area' yellow signs at each end of my road) and I feel pretty safe now too. We did have trouble with gangs of youths for the first year we moved in but we dealt with it, by contacting the police regularly and on occasion dealing with it directly. We all have a responsibility to address crime in our local area and if we do we can prevent it spiraling out of control.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> But what does "getting angry and doing something

> about it?" amount to Brendan

>

> If you live in any major city and get angry every

> time there is a mugging or burglary you will

> explode

Posting half-remembered descriptions of suspicious people on an internet forum, I think.

Brendan Wrote:

> Pardon me but why don?t you take your indignant

> self-righteousness and shove it up your arse. Yeah

> there?s always been a lot of crime. So does that

> mean that people can?t get angry about it and want

> to do something about it?

What do you suggest?

Vigilantes?

More bobbies on the beat? Because they are really effective.

Do you think if we all work together hard enough we can stamp out crime?

Because I don't.

Maybe one of those fat cats up at City Hall could ban crime completely?

No I?m not suggesting vigilantism, paranoia or anything of the sort but increased awareness and public pressure does affect public policy.

Increased knowledge will also make people more likely to take proper precautions.

Suggesting that people should just get over it is not only insulting to the victims of crime but counter productive toward building a better society, which is what each generation?s duty to the next is. Surely?