New Tesco Supermarket by the Plough?

PinkyB

About 4 shops have been knocked into one just down from the Plough on Lordship Lane. I was told by a man who lives opposite that it's going to be a Tesco Local or similar. There's no official sign or other indicator as to whether this is true, but it does look the right size. (Unless it's going to be another unnecessarily enormous branch of Foxtons, of course)

I reported it back to friend who said he had also heard this rumour, which suggests to me that maybe it's more than a rumour.

Obviously it would mean death for the various Costcutter type shops in the area, but handy for the people who live nearby and don't want to have to get a bus up to FH Sainsburys to get their shopping or down to Somerfield in ED. LL is a very long road, after all!

Anyone heard anytihng official?

There's another thread on this. Sorry too late at night to look for it :))

Word was it was going to be a Somerfield, though that always seemed mad to me given that the Co-op is supposed to have taken them over.

Damn, really? another Somerfield? Isn't one crap supermarket in the area enough?

Oh, and I did search for "supermarket", but nothing relevant came up. Mind you, not one search I've ever done on here has ever worked, so it's not exactly a surprise.

Somerfields applied to Southwark Council for an alcohol license for that premise back in Feb. This was due to be heard at committee on the 20th April I believe. There should be a notification soon on whether they were successful. Although I see no legal reason why it would be turned down.

As far as I could understand, Somerfield has been taken over by Co-op but it will take about two years for all the branches to be sold on or transformed into Co-ops. since Somerfield is still a going concern I suppose it's understandable that it can still expand and open new branches. I don't want a national supermarket to open up by the Plough but I'd rather a Somerfield than a Tesco.

nunheadbelle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well Tesco have made massive profits, even with

> the credit crunch, so opening more shops seems to

> be on their agenda.

> Someone else said that there was a Tesco opening

> in those new units at the top of Rye Lane.

>

> Nunheadbelle

i also heard Foxtons was closing and we were getting a Sainsbury's Local on LL.

*grows old*

puzzled Wrote:

> tesco and sainsbury don't seem likely to me. and

> there is no evidence that foxtons are closing.

*cancels subscription to ED forum*

nunheadbelle Wrote:

> > > i also heard Foxtons was closing and we were

> > getting a Sainsbury's Local on LL.

> >

> > *grows old*

>

> Well, this seems pretty certain Co-Operative

> house, new Tesco

I cycled past there last night.

you know what I saw?

Nothing.

Unless my definition of 'moved in' is outdated

I have a feeling the units near the Plough will open up under the name of Co-Operative as opposed to Somerfield, and if this is the case i'm not knocking it. I am pleased to see Tesco starting work on the Rye Lane Tesco, it is a welcome addition and will hopefully attract passing trade from the station of an evening via the lane itself. Maybe if the increased footfall takes place, we will end up with a selfridges as well as H&M and all other shops. Anyone want rehash the simply food agenda? speak now or forever hold your peace!

Louisa.

Its opening up as a "Costcutter" store....... I had a leaflet through the door over the weekend stating they has a new store opening soon on Lordship Lane - can't remember the number LL but is was three hundred and something which must be that space.

Loads of builders hats with 'tescos' on them on the floor in the unit now :).

lenk Wrote:

> nunheadbelle Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > > > i also heard Foxtons was closing and we

> were

> > > getting a Sainsbury's Local on LL.

> > >

> > > *grows old*

> >

> > Well, this seems pretty certain Co-Operative

> > house, new Tesco

>

> I cycled past there last night.

>

> you know what I saw?

>

> Nothing.

>

> Unless my definition of 'moved in' is outdated

JohnL Wrote:

> Loads of builders hats with 'tescos' on them on

> the floor in the unit now :).

>

>

>

> lenk Wrote:

> -----

> > nunheadbelle Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > > > i also heard Foxtons was closing and we

> > were

> > > > getting a Sainsbury's Local on LL.

> > > >

> > > > *grows old*

> > >

> > > Well, this seems pretty certain Co-Operative

> > > house, new Tesco

> >

> > I cycled past there last night.

> >

> > you know what I saw?

> >

> > Nothing.

> >

> > Unless my definition of 'moved in' is outdated

??

Tesco don't have their own firm of builders.

Whoever they are they would be subcontracted.

And would wear their own hard-hats. Not Tesco ones.

Are we willing this place into existence?

The leaflet that was put through my door definitely had "opening soon" and although I can't remember the exact numbers it was more than one unit. I will dig it out the recycling tonight and look again - I hope its not a costcutter!!!!