Forum Sponsors

www.no-flies.co.uk
xxxx
www.white-edge.co.uk

Professional Carpet Cleaning at an affordable price - A & M Carpet Care

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 37
messageStation Manager Corner
Posted by SMBJones 24 April, 2009 14:30

Good afternoon

My name is Barry Jones and I am the Area Station Manager for Southern Railway, I manage 17 Stations of which East and North Dulwich come under my remit.

Not so long ago I joined another forum similar to this (virtual norwood)whereby I answer any complaints and suggestions you may have relating to the train stations. This has proved to be a very good way of interacting with the community and my passengers. I would be pleased to join this forum however I must stress a couple of points, 1. I will do this in my own time, 2 My comments are those of mine and not Southern Railway and lastly I will not be subject to abuse.(its hard taking a battering when I do this voluntarily)

You have my guarantee that I will listen and answer all points rasised, normally I would look in once a week to see if there any new postings. Alternatively you can email me through this forum and I will answer as soon as I have received the communication.

It is my intention to improve customer service and the local environments to ensure that you have a better travel experience.

I look forward to hearing from you

Barry Jones

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by ellaj 24 April, 2009 14:47

Hi Barry do you cover West Dulwich station as well?

Posted by sophiesofa 24 April, 2009 14:49

Hello Barry and thank you for taking the time to do this and I hope you don't get abused.

At East Dulwich Station I have seen rats crossing the pathway up to the platform that goes into London. I am petrified of the things. I doubt there's much you can do but I thought there's no harm in mentioning it.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2009:04:24:14:49:44 by sophiesofa.

Posted by Nero 24 April, 2009 14:52

Hello
Please keep the station (E Dulwich) clean on a daily basis. Reinstate the bins and please clean up the walkways - behind the wires - every week. And if you can, do all you can to deter people from putting their feet on the seats opposite - it annoys me and so many others. Coudl you get your managers to ask your drivers people not to do it, or put stickers on the walls?
The train service is usually good, but it could be made better very easily by clearing things up at the station and on the trains.

Posted by skidmarks 24 April, 2009 14:57

If you manage Brockley can you turn the PA up as no one can hear it

Posted by northernmonkey 24 April, 2009 15:13

Probably a bigger ask, but it would be helpful to get another ticket machine at East Dulwich. The ticket office is generally closed (often even when it is supposed to be open) which means that the queues at the ticket machines can be really long. Add to this the fact that the trains really aren't that frequent, it makes getting a ticket and getting your train quite difficult.

Posted by sophiesofa 24 April, 2009 15:16

northernmonkey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Probably a bigger ask, but it would be helpful to
> get another ticket machine at East Dulwich. The
> ticket office is generally closed (often even when
> it is supposed to be open) which means that the
> queues at the ticket machines can be really long.
> Add to this the fact that the trains really aren't
> that frequent, it makes getting a ticket and
> getting your train quite difficult.

seconded

Posted by djw 24 April, 2009 15:51

Hi Barry

Can you tell us when we will be able to use Oyster at ED?
tks
Djw

Posted by lenk 24 April, 2009 16:19

djw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Barry
>
> Can you tell us when we will be able to use Oyster
> at ED?
> tks
> Djw

And Peckham Rye? smiling smiley

(I feel TFL might announce this rather more formally than on an obscure SE London forum though)

Posted by Speccylecci 24 April, 2009 16:20

I know I may get told off for this but

SMB

Jones?

Posted by Administrator 24 April, 2009 16:24

Please stay on topic

--------------------
The Administrator

Posted by louisiana 24 April, 2009 16:35

Good to *see* you here Barry.
Do you cover Forest Hill?

Posted by nymom 24 April, 2009 16:39

Are there any plans to make all stations step free in terms of access?

Posted by Michael Palaeologus 24 April, 2009 16:51

Why cant the chap at ED station issue tickets for stations that arent within about 5 miles of ED? A number of times I have trotted along to buy a ticket to somewhere slightly further afield only to be told "Oh no, you need to go to a main station for those". These arent major intercity destinations but places in the home counties in Sussex or Kent.

I made a point of going to ED station when it was quiet and so avoid causing a lengthy queue and would much rather buy from ED station as London Bridge can be a pain to buy tickets because of queues at the ticket office and the inflexibility of ticket machines (you cant buy tickets in advance). It does seem rather short sighted as it reduces income at the local station.

Concur with the above comments about the rats and the upkeep of the station.

However, many thanks for putting your head above the parapet and saying Hello.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2009:04:24:16:53:22 by Michael Palaeologus.

Posted by SMBJones 24 April, 2009 16:55

Hi, I am sorry I dont, this station belongs to South Eastern, if you send me an email, I know someone over that way and I will pass your message on

Barry

Posted by SMBJones 24 April, 2009 16:57

Hi

Rat problem is a common issue and will always have them, I will ensure that our pest control is aware and I will phone through on Monday

Barry

Posted by SMBJones 24 April, 2009 16:59

Nero, I will get some more bins put in place, as for the clearing behind the wire fences I have just had a new gate placed so my team can get behind and clear rubbish. The cleanliness will improve and I am looking at new initiatives to have the station cleaned more often. as for the trains I will put your suggestion forward

Regards

Barry

Posted by SMBJones 24 April, 2009 17:01

Skidmarks, I will talk to my colleague at our control centre and have the volume turned up. Please be aware this station does not come under my area but happy to speak to the Station Manager also

Regards

Barry

Posted by sophiesofa 24 April, 2009 17:06

Thanks Barry you seem very nice.

Posted by SMBJones 24 April, 2009 17:08

DJW, Lenk, Sophiesoaf and Northernmonkey

Ticketing has always been an issue, East and North Dulwich are really small stations, agreed they are closed from 1300Hrs however I do believe that when Oyster is introduced on the Network then queuing for tickets will reduce. The go live date for Oyster is September this year, you can already see that that the Machines are already in place, its is now waiting for the go live date and installing software so my staff can sell the tickets.

Speccylecci, SM is Station Manager, I am often referred to as the SM by my staff, and B Jones is my name!

I will ask my Ticket Office manager to look at sales for these two stations to see if we can extend the opening times, even if it was for the evening peaks so you can purchase tickets for the next day

Hope this helps

Barry

Posted by SMBJones 24 April, 2009 17:10

Hi Louisiana, I dont cover Forest Hill, I do know the man who does, send me your question via the email and I will ask my colleague to respond

Regards

Barry

Posted by matthew123 24 April, 2009 17:11

I think the number of benches on the northbound platform, at East Dulwich, could be increased. That would improve the comfort of commuters especially during the summer months.

Posted by SMBJones 24 April, 2009 17:14

Hi Michael, I am quite concerened with your comments relating to Ticket Sales, I will instruct my Ticket Office manager to have a word with the staff to see if there are any training issues. Hopefully by Tuesday you will be able to buy the tickets you require

Apologies for this, Customer Service is important to me and it seems to be amiss here.

Regards

Barry

Posted by SMBJones 24 April, 2009 17:19

Hi Matthew

I am having some benches removed from another one of my stations very soon, I will see if I can get a couple of them installed at East Dulwich

Regards

Barry

Posted by Mark 24 April, 2009 17:41

Hi Barry

Thanks for doing this. When you mention Oyster do you mean Pre-pay? I'd love to be able to use my pre-pay at East Dulwich station.

Thanks

Mark

Posted by SMBJones 24 April, 2009 17:50

Hi Mark, apologies, that is correct Pre Pay Oyster from September this year.

Regards

Barry

Posted by SMBJones 24 April, 2009 17:57

Hi Nymom

There are no current plans that I am aware of to make this station step free, projects of this nature are undertaken by Network Rail

Sorry

Barry

Posted by LegalEagle-ish 24 April, 2009 17:59

I Think that both East Dulwich and Peckham Rye need more ticket machines.

Why not put a couple on the platforms so that you can see when the train is coming while you wait to buy your ticket.

It is really annoying waiting to get a ticket and having to leg it to the platform but missing your train.

Posted by RosieH 24 April, 2009 18:09

Hi Barry,

I just wanted to second everyone who has said thanks for doing this - I think it's brilliant and that you've responded so quickly too. Good on you.

R

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 24 April, 2009 18:10

Hear, hear. I rarely use stations but I think it's marvellous that you have displayed such community spirit.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 37

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed