Forum Sponsors

www.advancedpainters.co.uk
xxxx
Professional Carpet Cleaning at an affordable price - A & M Carpet Care

Daisylets Residential Property Management

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 37
messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by Siduhe 25 April, 2009 22:42

As others have said, I think it's great for someone in Barry's position to come on here and engage/seek feedback in this way. To add my 0.02, I use Peckham Rye station regularly. There have been a lot of improvements recently in terms of smartening up the station (painting, redoing the stairs, fixing the broken announcement speakers).

I also find the ticket office opening hours a bit random - one thing that happens regularly and drives me nuts is in the early rush house (8am ish) when both windows are open in the ticket office with queues at both, but then one window is closed by a member of staff for no apparent reason and despite the queues. Presumably this is for staff breaks question mark but the timing seems insane to me. To balance this out, I should say that I think the attitude of the staff in the ticket office at Peckham Rye is great - I always get a cheerful and friendly "good morning madam", they look you in the eye, listen to what you want and you never see them on the phone or chatting amongst themselves whilst serving customers (a sharp contrast with Blackfriars which is the other ticket office I use).

One thing I would like to know is how/where the ticket barriers are going to be installed in the station - the staircase up to the platforms is pretty steep and gets jammed up easily, so I'm hoping it's going to be well after the staircase, as you go up to the actual platforms. I was coming home a couple of weeks ago and they were doing a ticket check at the top of the main stairs (having closed off one side). The press of people was so much that I basically got pushed down the first few stairs. No harm done but I wouldn't fancy that every day.

Posted by Sue 26 April, 2009 13:41

SMBJones Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Michael, I am quite concerened with your
> comments relating to Ticket Sales, I will instruct
> my Ticket Office manager to have a word with the
> staff to see if there are any training issues.
> Hopefully by Tuesday you will be able to buy the
> tickets you require
>
> Apologies for this, Customer Service is important
> to me and it seems to be amiss here.
>
> Regards
>
> Barry

xxxxxxx

I have had various problems in the past with the person in ED ticket office.

I once had to go to Denmark Hill station to buy a ticket which he insisted didn't exist, which was absolutely ridiculous (had absolutely no problem buying it at Denmark Hill, but I shouldn't have had to do so!).

Posted by trinity 26 April, 2009 15:19

On the subject of the staff at Peckham Rye recently my 15y old son was stuck at Preston station and discovered he had lost his ticket to London. The staff at Preston were extremely unhelpful and dismissive even though my son was very upset. The staff at Peckham Rye however, where my husband had to rush to to buy my son another ticket, were fantastic and made sure that every thing was sorted as quickly as possible. Well done and we were very grateful for your help.

Posted by hellosailor 26 April, 2009 15:38

Thanks for this very useful thread Barry, it's really appreciated, great news to hear that oyster is going live in September.

Posted by Dodo1 26 April, 2009 19:45

Can you give us the name of the person that is responsible for Forest Hill Station please.

Posted by dbboy 26 April, 2009 19:59

Honor Oak Park station: Southern have just invested and installed new entry and exit turnstils whilst also doing up the booking hall area a bit but the rest of the station including the stairs to both platforms are a disgrace, when are southern going to upgrade the station so it becomes a pleasant environment to travel through? Currently it looks like a run down hovell.

Posted by SMBJones 26 April, 2009 21:06

Hi Sidhuhe, Thank your for your comments, once I have the installation date I will place a couple of posters outlining the position of the new gates

As for the ticket office closure, the windows should remain open during the peaks, breaks are normally taken after that period. It maybe the ticket office was experiencing a computer failure or something of that nature. I will ask my ticket office manager to keep an eye on unexpected closures

Regards

Barry

Posted by SMBJones 26 April, 2009 21:10

Hi Sue, apologies for the incovenience at East Dulwich, I have noted quite a few issues regarding the ticket offices etc and I have a meeting with my Ticket Office Manager and Area Team Leader to go through the points rasied on this forum tomorrow morning

Hopefully there will be a considerable change in the way my ticket offices are managed and customer service improved

Regards

Barry

Posted by SMBJones 26 April, 2009 21:14

Trinity, sorry to hear about your son at Preston, I have personally emailed you on this subject.

Hellosailor, thank you for comments

Dodo1, I have personally emailed you.

Barry

Posted by SMBJones 26 April, 2009 21:20

DDboy

I will look into this for you and reply accordingly

Regards

Barry

Posted by nymom 26 April, 2009 22:20

Thanks Barry for taking so much time to do this. I have emailed Southern regarding step free access as you suggested. I live between ED and Forest Hill Station and southern trains emailed me back withing 4 hours and said that Forest Hill was having lifts installed winter 2010.

Posted by northlondoner 27 April, 2009 12:33

Well done SMB, yes good stuff getting involved here. Is there any chance of getting the ticket office at EDulwich staying open for longer. And forgive me if I am off-target,but are there plans to bring the tube to the station?

Posted by SMBJones 27 April, 2009 14:21

Dear all, I have now put in place an action plan that will solve and help with the points raised on this forum over the last few days. A couple of them cannot be implemented straight away for business reasons

* Zone 2 & 3 Travel Cards are available and now forms one the Top 21 Tickets and easy to find.
* For those having trouble with navagating around Ticket Machines, leaflets will be available from the clerks by the end of the week.
* Improved Ticket Availability, this will incorporate for example tickets to Leeds or Sussex, I am waiting for a programme to be activated called "Rail Journey Information System" which is needed, Hopefully this will in place by the end of this week
* My Ticket Office Managers will be available from 0715Hours to 1000Hrs on the 5th and 6th May at East Dulwich to answer questions and help with Ticket Machines
* They will also be at North Dulwich on the 7th and 8th May, same times as above. These sessions will also be advertised by close of play tomorrow
* 2 Benches will be installed on Platform 1 and 2 on Platform 2 at East Dulwich, these will be painted and ready within 7 days.
* 2 extra Bins have been installed this morning at East Dulwich, I have also ordered cigarette bins to help with cleanliness Placed outside the confines of the station of course.
* From Tuesday 5th May, both North and East Dulwich will be open from 1600hrs to 1900hrs Monday to Friday, the staff will be arriving at 1500hrs to clean the station also. I will gage ticket sales after a period of 4 weeks. Hopefully this will reduce the queues in the morning peaks.
* Queens Road will also have cigarette bin and bin rims to help with cleanliness
* My duty mananagers will be carrying out spot checks on a regular basis to ensure that your stations are clean and well presented, cleaning plans will be in place by the end of this week, which will include daily, weekly and monthly cleaning tasks

Kind regards

Barry Jones
Area Station Manager
Streatham Hill Area

Posted by Michael Palaeologus 27 April, 2009 14:27

Barry Jones you are a hero.

Posted by Jah Lush 27 April, 2009 14:34

Good work Barry.

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 27 April, 2009 14:54

Who is your immediate superior Barry? I think we should inundate him/her with praise for you.

Posted by PeckhamRose 27 April, 2009 14:58

Bloody 'ell Baz, calm down will you?
When you're done with this, can you get cloned and sort out NHS and Taxation and Government waste and Southwark Council idiots?
You are indeed a Good Egg. And I agree with PGC. Names. NOW.

Posted by Weegee 27 April, 2009 15:03

Hi Barry

Good on you for doing this...you are providing excellent feedback to the local community.

Keep this up...and you will be up for a gong at the next EDF Awards thumbs up

Posted by SMBJones 27 April, 2009 15:27

Dear all, no praise needed, its something I want to do and really want to improve your perceptions of Southern Railway and the Streatham Hill Area Team , I honestly believe this approach will help the passengers and the community, after all I am from the area also! Trust me, this also helps me and managing the area, so its two way and we all benefit.

As I said before, I will do all I can within my power as the Station Manager to act upon ideas and suggestions, for those points raised which I cant, I will ensure they reach the right people

Thank you for the kind comments

Barry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2009:04:27:16:15:34 by SMBJones.

Posted by sophiesofa 27 April, 2009 15:30

Barry for Mayor!

Posted by TJS 27 April, 2009 16:01

Barry a few words, professional, swift and just plain awesome.......please keep it up.

Posted by Sue 27 April, 2009 21:14

Can you come and replace all my senior managers please?

smiling smiley

Posted by Moos 28 April, 2009 08:53

Barry, it's wonderful to see someone engaging with passengers through the local forum and making such an effort to act on people's comments - thank you very much indeed.

After the rubbish tidy-up a few weeks ago the station remained pretty litter-free for quite a while - a few cans and bottles have started creeping back, however. It would be great if your team could be responsive in dealing with these, as people seem to be more hesitant to litter a clean station, but once the littering has started, it escalates.

Posted by Nero 28 April, 2009 13:31

I am not going to be a nay-sayer because our station controller is doing a great job, but it does sadden me that we go into paroxysms of praise when someone is being effective and open and doing his job well. I am not having a go at you who have praised him, just pointing out that it's a sad state of affairs when that is the norm.

Posted by sophiesofa 28 April, 2009 13:34

Nero Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am not going to be a nay-sayer because our
> station controller is doing a great job, but it
> does sadden me that we go into paroxysms of praise
> when someone is being effective and open and doing
> his job well. I am not having a go at you who have
> praised him, just pointing out that it's a sad
> state of affairs when that is the norm.

but SMBJones is doing this in his spare time making hime quadruply amazing.

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher 28 April, 2009 13:34

Nero, this is a little bit more than just doing his job. He is going out of his way, in his own time, to reach the punters. That's over and above the job description and it is completely refreshing. That is why he is getting these plaudits.

Posted by captain_paxo 28 April, 2009 13:41

Fantastic stuff, thanks Barry.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it, but I think the PA system at E.Dulwich could be improved; if you're far down the platform you can't hear it which can lead to uncertainty/frustration in the case of delays/cancellation announcements. ...

Posted by James 28 April, 2009 14:21

Barry's attitude seems great. However I will reserve my judgement until I see the aforementioned improvements actually come to light. Not being cynical or anything!

Posted by Michael Palaeologus 28 April, 2009 15:48

Nero, people tend to respond well to thanks and encouragement.

Posted by shel 30 April, 2009 11:47

Barry,

Can I suggest an departures screen at the bottom of the London bound platform next to the ticket machine.

Currently we have to buy a ticket and walk to the top of the slope only to find out trains are cancelled / delayed.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 3 of 37

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed