Forum Sponsors

Portmoor Lettings
xxxx
www.advancedpainters.co.uk

www.crittersolutions.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 37
messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by SMBJones 07 June, 2009 12:55

Hi, I am sorry but you wont be able to crash the gates at Peckham, platform tickets are a thing of the past

Barry


Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can one still buy a platform ticket? It's quite
> nice to bid farewell to guests on the actual
> platform.

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by SMBJones 07 June, 2009 12:57

Hi, from January 2010 there will be facilities to top up "Pay As You Go Oyster" at all stations

Regards

Barry

jocelyn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello,
>
> Will there be a self service oyster machine in
> Peckham Rye station soon? Or will station staff be
> able to issue travel cards on Oysters in the
> ticket office? That would be really helpful.
>
> Really happy about the gates though - will
> definitely speed up getting out of the station in
> the evenings.

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by SMBJones 07 June, 2009 12:59

Hi, passengers will learn very quickly, you will see more Revenue Protection Officers over the next few weeks

Barry


tommy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great to see PR station is to get a refresh and
> the booking hall a spruce up. Ticket machines seem
> to be working OK. The only hold up is when
> "ticketless" people get to the bottom of the
> stairs and realise the games up

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by SMBJones 07 June, 2009 13:04

Hi Cora, first of all apologies for the inconvenience, can I ask which station this was? I will look into this tomorrow morning.

Also, it is hard to get cover a short notice if a staff member phones in sick if this was the case afte reading Ladygooner's posting

regards

Barry


Cora Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello Barry,
>
> You may have addressed this earlier but I find it
> really frustrating when the ticket office is not
> open during hours in which the sign outside says
> it should be.
>
> I went down yesterday at 10.15 am with my two kids
> full of questions about the days travelling and
> was not surprised to yet again find it shut. Why
> have opening hours listed outside the station if
> they are not going to be manned.
>
> Really, really annoying!

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by Cora 07 June, 2009 16:19

It was East Dulwich...and although I didn't look closely I did take a quick glance to see if there was a 'back in ten minutes' type sign...which there wasn't.

Thanks for looking into it Barry.

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by TheePope 07 June, 2009 18:06

Thanks for all the hard work Barry.

One things been bugging me for a while - a "Help Point" appeared outside ED station (near the post box and bus stop) about a year ago, it's never been connected and just stands there looking a bit forlorn with some wires hanging out. There's one in a similar state at Denmark Hill station. Not sure it's within your remit but could if it is could it either be connected or removed please?

Thanks again.

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by SingingWilks 07 June, 2009 19:48

Hi Barry

I posted on this thread earlier about not being able to hear the announcements at East Dulwich station but haven't heard back from you. I think it was just before you went on holiday though so hope you had a good time!

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by SMBJones 08 June, 2009 19:33

Hi

sorry for delay responding, with regards to your point raised I did mention this before in a previous posting. Unfortunately the engineer had turned the volume down instead of up, call it a communication mix up on my part. This will be rectified soon

Regards

Barry


SingingWilks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Barry
>
> I posted on this thread earlier about not being
> able to hear the announcements at East Dulwich
> station but haven't heard back from you. I think
> it was just before you went on holiday though so
> hope you had a good time!

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by SingingWilks 08 June, 2009 19:41

That's marvellous, thank you very much Barry.

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by woofmarkthedog 08 June, 2009 20:01

Barry

Is this regular drop in on the EDF your very own idea. People love it & I can see small but relevant issues resolved quickly, that makes them feel valued & I hope you feel that too.
Even if it was prompted or "engineered" ( did you like that one) on a management course it works......

"Power to the Station manager"


Fancy running for Mayor of LL


W**F

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by SMBJones 08 June, 2009 20:31

Thank you for kind comments, reluctant to say this was all my own idea to engage with the local community and passengers. I actually enjoy it and I get a great deal of satisfaction from participating in this forum (I engage with two forums now). This initiative has gone down very well with my colleagues and they are also pursuing their own avenues in their respective areas, most definately best practise that is being shared and acted upon at Southern

I just wish I could do more, however my remit does not cover extra trains, the tracks or infrastructure for example, although the forums comments are being looked into

As for being the Mayor, I would probably be sacked within 3 months for listening to the public and spending far too much money getting London sorted........ Boris could always knock or PM me for some advice winking smiley

Regards

Barry


woofmarkthedog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Barry
>
> Is this regular drop in on the EDF your very own
> idea. People love it & I can see small but
> relevant issues resolved quickly, that makes them
> feel valued & I hope you feel that too.
> Even if it was prompted or "engineered" ( did you
> like that one) on a management course it
> works......
>
> "Power to the Station manager"
>
>
> Fancy running for Mayor of LL
>
>
> W**F

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by TJMP 09 June, 2009 10:16

The Department for Transport has announced today that Govia has retained the South Central franchise so Barry's excellent work here and, I know, at the many other stations he has responsibity for will continue.

Tessa Jowell

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by Michael Palaeologus 09 June, 2009 11:41

Well done Barry. Looks to me like you will soon be called to take up a Cabinet appointment ..

--------------------
Radiant Bhuna of the Diamond Naga (1st class)
Curry Club. First-ish Thursday of every month. Find us in The Lounge.

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by Ladygooner 09 June, 2009 13:52

Barry, you deserve a Knighthood at the very least!

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by AllyCat 09 June, 2009 13:55

Hello Barry

Hope you enjoyed your holiday...
I have a question that I don't know if you can answer... I use Peckham Rye station and quite often the trains at Platform 4 are quite short. When they arrive into PR they pull right up at the end of the platform about as far away form the steps as possible - and therefore although you can be waiting for a train on the platform you sometimes have to run half way up the platform to get on the last carriage.... (and we all know we shouldn't run on the platforms!)
Why can't the drivers make sure they pull up near the stairs?
Thanks!

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by Ted Max 09 June, 2009 13:59

AllyCat, I suspect you mean Platform 1 - the one nearest the church? Platform 4 is for the Dartford/ Sevenoaks services.

messageAnnouncement
Posted by SMBJones 09 June, 2009 14:34

FURTHER IMPROVEMENTS ON THE WAY FOR PASSENGERS
AS GOVIA RETAINS THE SOUTH CENTRAL FRANCHISE
Govia today welcomed the announcement by the Department for Transport (DfT) that it
had successfully retained the South Central rail franchise, the business it currently
operates as Southern.
The new franchise, which will retain the name “Southern”, will start on 20 September
2009 and will run for five years ten months until 25 July 2015. The final year is subject to
performance and there is a two year extension available at the discretion of the DfT.
Commenting on the DfT's announcement, Keith Ludeman, Chairman of Govia said:
“I am delighted that the DfT has retained Govia to operate one of the UK’s most
important and operationally complex rail franchises.
“This is a commercially robust rail network which we know well and have operated since
2001. During this period, Govia has overseen a £1 billion investment programme in
rolling stock, depots, stations and staff. This has established an excellent platform from
which we can now launch the new franchise, further improve service quality and expand
and grow the passenger market.
“Chris Burchell will continue to be the Managing Director of Southern, and will lead the
team into and during the new franchise. Chris and his team will work closely with the
DfT, Transport for London and other stakeholders to oversee a period of significant
change on the network whilst implementing our innovative and value-for-money
franchise plans designed to grow capacity and improve passenger perceptions of
service and security.
“The new franchise will deliver a comprehensive package of benefits to passengers,
including train, station and security investment, improved operational performance and
innovative retailing.”
Govia’s bid for the franchise features the following benefits for passengers:
• Additional capacity: an additional 10% carrying capacity across the network by
December 2013, including the extension of eight car trains to ten cars on key
Metro routes and a significant increase in capacity on peak time Metro arrivals
and departures into London Victoria and London Bridge, and peak time services
into Brighton.
• Further investment in trains and stations: a £76m investment programme
including £23m of interior improvements to trains and £28m to improve facilities
at stations, targeting those areas of greatest benefit to passengers. In addition,
staffing at almost all Greater London stations to be extended to provide cover
from the first to the last service.
• Focus on punctuality: further focus on maintaining and improving the current
record levels of punctuality performance through a period of significant change
arising from the Thameslink programme and other major initiatives.
• Improved passenger access and integration at stations, making it easier to
use the Southern network: over 1000 more car parking and 1500 secure cycle
parking spaces to be installed; £3m to be invested to provide real-time
information at every station, new help points to be installed at 40 stations and
information about connecting bus services provided at 35 stations. Thirty station
travel plans to be developed and their recommendations implemented.
• Improved security: 100% of trains and stations to have CCTV and passenger
information systems by 2011. A new 38-strong Safer Travel Team to be in place
by Spring 2010, to include British Transport Police and Rail Enforcement
Officers.
• Easier ticket buying: a £3m investment in 120 new ticket machines by early
2012 plus the introduction of a new Smartmedia system by early 2012. Similar to
Oyster, Smartmedia will make ticket buying easier and enable automatic top-ups
for season tickets at 26 stations outside London and 18 stations within London.
• Enhanced revenue protection: new automatic ticket barriers at 22 stations,
supplemented by additional stations funded by the DfT to increase the number of
gated stations from 28 to 49. These improvements will be supported by a team of
100 Revenue Protection Officers and the Safer Travel Team (who will also have
revenue protection responsibilities).
• Improved overall passenger experience: introduction of a new Service Quality
Management System to monitor, measure and improve every aspect of a
passenger’s journey with Southern, supported by comprehensive customer
service training for all front line staff.

Any further information required please refer to Southern's Website

Kind regards

Barry

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by SMBJones 09 June, 2009 15:25

Hi, I agree that the area which the trains stop is not ideal, it is not something I could change over night and this has to go to our operations department.

However, I have written an email to the commercial director of Southern and my line manager and outlined the issues regarding the "Stop Boards" these are the markers which tell a driver to stop at a particular part of the platform, for example you will see "4 Car" "8 Car" signs. This something that I have put on my priority list however this may take a few weeks. Please bear in mind if this was agreed then there will be a lot of alterations to train dispatch plans not to mention the fact that every driver would have to be notified, and this is only the beginning, something that you would think that would be simple to implement is in fact a big task.



Rest assured I will chase this continually untill a resolution is made

Watch this space

Regards

Barry

AllyCat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello Barry
>
> Hope you enjoyed your holiday...
> I have a question that I don't know if you can
> answer... I use Peckham Rye station and quite
> often the trains at Platform 4 are quite short.
> When they arrive into PR they pull right up at the
> end of the platform about as far away form the
> steps as possible - and therefore although you can
> be waiting for a train on the platform you
> sometimes have to run half way up the platform to
> get on the last carriage.... (and we all know we
> shouldn't run on the platforms!)
> Why can't the drivers make sure they pull up near
> the stairs?
> Thanks!

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by AllyCat 09 June, 2009 17:12

Oops - yes, I did mean Platform 1 Ted!
Thanks for the swift response Barry.... I appreciate it's a big task and your actions are most appreciated.
Lets see what happens!

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by SMBJones 10 June, 2009 07:05

Not sure how many will read this, however Northern Line is running, Mornington Cres, Tooting Bec and Charing X are closed. Balham is open on my route and may get you to parts of London for your commute

Barry

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by Strawbs 10 June, 2009 08:40

Morning Barry,

Love reading your thread, you are doing a great job.

Just a quickie on the oyster readers at peckham rye, for some reason I would say 3 out of 5 times it wont read my oyster yet at all the other stations I have a 100% hit rate. I then (after trying both ticket booth things) take it to the people who are watching the ticket booths and they read it and it comes up green every time (it is a season ticket so no way it will not work). Anyhoo are they testing and fixing things as they are going along i.e. not reading the oysters properly or are they just duff readers?

thanks

Jules x

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by Ladymuck 10 June, 2009 09:48

Strawbs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Morning Barry,
>
> Love reading your thread, you are doing a great
> job.
>
> Just a quickie on the oyster readers at peckham
> rye, for some reason I would say 3 out of 5 times
> it wont read my oyster yet at all the other
> stations I have a 100% hit rate. I then (after
> trying both ticket booth things) take it to the
> people who are watching the ticket booths and they
> read it and it comes up green every time (it is a
> season ticket so no way it will not work). Anyhoo
> are they testing and fixing things as they are
> going along i.e. not reading the oysters properly
> or are they just duff readers?
>
> thanks
>
> Jules x


Hello Mr. SMBJones,

and welcome back. Hope you had a lovely holiday.

I would just like to echo Strawbs' posting...my Oyster (which has weekly travel cards on it - and therefore should work) does not work at Peckham Rye, but does work at e.g. L. Bridge, Waterloo, Charing X etc. Just a mini-challenge for you this time!

Kind regards,

Ladymuck.

PS: MOST thoughtful of you to provide news re. striking tube stations - and helpful! Thank you.

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by SMBJones 10 June, 2009 18:27

Jules/Ladymuck

Sorry to say the Oyster readers are absolutely fine, they have been checked today. My conclusion is that your Oyster cards are not reading properly because they are in a purse or wallet, or you are not tapping the centre of the pad that reads your information. Sometimes if you are a little too quick they will not read.

I can honestly say this has been tested today and all ok

Hope this helps

Barry



Strawbs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Morning Barry,
>
> Love reading your thread, you are doing a great
> job.
>
> Just a quickie on the oyster readers at peckham
> rye, for some reason I would say 3 out of 5 times
> it wont read my oyster yet at all the other
> stations I have a 100% hit rate. I then (after
> trying both ticket booth things) take it to the
> people who are watching the ticket booths and they
> read it and it comes up green every time (it is a
> season ticket so no way it will not work). Anyhoo
> are they testing and fixing things as they are
> going along i.e. not reading the oysters properly
> or are they just duff readers?
>
> thanks
>
> Jules x

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by indiepanda 10 June, 2009 22:20

I get the train from Peckham Rye with my weekly travel card on my Oyster and I haven't had any problems getting it to read it, so I don't think it is a universal problem.

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by Strawbs 11 June, 2009 11:02

SMBJones Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jules/Ladymuck
>
> Sorry to say the Oyster readers are absolutely
> fine, they have been checked today. My conclusion
> is that your Oyster cards are not reading properly
> because they are in a purse or wallet, or you are
> not tapping the centre of the pad that reads your
> information. Sometimes if you are a little too
> quick they will not read.
>
> I can honestly say this has been tested today and
> all ok
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Barry
>
>
>
> Strawbs Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Morning Barry,
> >
> > Love reading your thread, you are doing a great
> > job.
> >
> > Just a quickie on the oyster readers at peckham
> > rye, for some reason I would say 3 out of 5
> times
> > it wont read my oyster yet at all the other
> > stations I have a 100% hit rate. I then (after
> > trying both ticket booth things) take it to the
> > people who are watching the ticket booths and
> they
> > read it and it comes up green every time (it is
> a
> > season ticket so no way it will not work).
> Anyhoo
> > are they testing and fixing things as they are
> > going along i.e. not reading the oysters
> properly
> > or are they just duff readers?
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Jules x

Just to let you know it happened to me again this morning. Took it out of my wallet and no read at two ticket booths, guy read it with his machine adn then it went green. Slightly rude ticket booth watching lady attendant then abruptly told me to stand back and she managed to get it to work but trust me it took her two goes..

I think something is not quite right with the readers if Im honest as there was about 10 people behind me all needing to do the same thing..

J

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by Izodia 11 June, 2009 11:07

How long have you had your Oyster card? I've had one wear out. It would work at stations but stopped working on buses. When I took it to a ticket office apparently it was giving a very weak signal and the guy changed it for a new one.

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by Strawbs 11 June, 2009 11:13

Izodia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How long have you had your Oyster card? I've had
> one wear out. It would work at stations but
> stopped working on buses. When I took it to a
> ticket office apparently it was giving a very weak
> signal and the guy changed it for a new one.

Had this one since Jan 08 so that def might be it but I never have any trouble at any other station, I just zip right through, will look in to it though for sure..

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by damzel 13 June, 2009 23:08

Possibly a little petty but this really annoys me on a daily basis...

I'm wondering if anything can be done with the screens at the top of the stairs at Peckham Rye. The one on the right alternates between showing the Next Departures info and Announcements. This is really annoying as without fail, when I've checked for my destination and departure time, my eyes move to the current time at the bottom of the screen to see whether I need to run or not and bang! the screen switches over to Announcements and there's no time on the screen.

Can the Next Departures screen always be that? Or if not, can the Announcement screen show the current time?

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by Nero 14 June, 2009 07:32

Also, there is no big clock at Peckham Rye ticket hall. There needs to be (an accurate, radio-controlled) one!

messageRe: Station Manager Corner
Posted by SMBJones 14 June, 2009 10:44

Hi

I have forwarded this to my colleague at HQ, I will keep you updated

Barry

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 37

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed