Water the trees (in East Dulwich)

steveo

A few weeks ago some chaps planted a couple of trees outside my house which was nice. However, the trees both now look quite sick. According to the three council gardeners who were leaning on their spades in the rose beds, the council isn't responsible for trees, the job has been contracted out to a firm. They suggested that the firm has a budget to plant trees but no money to maintain them.

So if you have some thirsty-looking trees near you, it might be in order to empty a bucket of water over them.

Yeah, and it doesn't have to be bottled water either.

But water that you've just washed your car with won't be too good for it either.

This is interesting since I was thinkingthe palm (and joshua?) trees at Peckham High Street look decidedly unhealthy.

The one at the Goose Green roundabout looks great though.

Last year some of the new trees planted in streets off LL had a label attached asking people to water them until they were established. If you feel like doing so, the instructions were to pour water in the pipe thing they plant next to the tree.

Bawdy-Nan, I would presume a fully established tree would normally not require watering as its roots would be able to obtain water from underneath the pavements. However, a newly planted tree will need watering to establish itself.

I pestered the council a few years ago to replant a tree that they had cut down at the end of my street. My husband and I watered the flimsy little thing ourselves as it was during the hose-pipe ban and very dry that season and now the silly thing has grown a bit wonky which will probably result in it getting itself chopped down. Alas!

I didn?t water them last night as it was raining anyway but should I do so? What if the council is watering them anyway and I end up drowning them? I have no desire to become South East London?s number one tree murderer.

They all have little pipes sticking out of the ground next to them which I presume lead directly to the root ball which will need water. I don?t know how much rain water would have soaked down there with the light rain we?ve had.

Someone advise me please so I can absolve myself of culpability before I go being recklessly public spirited.

Just ask youself, what would Station Master Barry Jones do? And then do that.

(EDIT PS: Down here in Peckham we had some trees planted a couple of years back and they had a little notice on them asking members of the public to water them, using the pipe provided, until they were a bit bigger. So I say, water them.)

water them once a week. new trees need lots of water until they establish themselves, so they need manual watering during the first year.

i've never had a new plant 'drown', on the contrary they are always needing plenty of water at the start. but as KalKel says, a whole bucket is a bit much!