Silence.....and no Smiling. (Dulwich Library)

Oh not entirely true, though they can sometimes feel a bit stern and are sticklers for the correct opening and closing of the doors. Some of them do have their "ways" but there are some lovely, warm people there - especially with kids.

I'd say that they are "quietly friendly" which is fine by me.

Some of them do sessions at local nurseries - reading aloud and fostering a love of books and stories.

Big up to Pam a happy feature of my childrens lives and eagerly looked for on the streets of ED.

In all fairness there are one or two of them who can be a bit surly sometimes but I find if I gurn idiotically at them I normally elicit a smile.

Anyway they?re librarians, they?re supposed to look down their nose at you over a pair a reading glasses. Tradition dictates that their expressions be ?pinched? or perhaps ?fraught? but not ?jolly?. If you want jolly you?ve got to find yourself a butcher.

Organising books alls day = pinched

Chopping up dead carcasses all day = jolly

Such is just the way of the world.

No, no, no! You know where you stand with Librarians.

Estate agents are human shaped alien craft piloted by a race of intergalactic property developers hell-bent on turning earth into a modern, executive housing development with Venutian views for space yuppies. I can prove it. They all look exactly the same don?t they? And their skin looks like it?s made of plastic. That?s because it is.

Clowns are Satan?s agents on earth. They are also in league with the estate agents.

They would turn the library into something resembling that Adventure Place further down Lordship Lane, which I?m told is their current stronghold in these environs.

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> it's the silence..and the tension...and all that

> knowledge....

>

> it's just me isn't t?

No, not at all. It's the quiet ones you have to watch......;-0

There's one miserable librarian who used to seem to delight in telling me about my over due fines, never seemed to believe me as i tipped my remaining coppers on the counter that's all i had, i had to give up the library, for a while what with the mortification, in fact i might just go and renew now and see if they smile when i pay the fine off finally!