Your favourite pubs/bars in East Dulwich?

Hi all

Just joined the forum and this is my first post. :)

I'm a 30 year old male, and have lived in Forest Hill for the last few years - but only recently started visiting East Dulwich. For my journey to work, I began taking the 176 bus through Lordship Lane and was intrigued by the variety of pubs, bars, shops and restaurants. It's such a vibrant, interesting stretch of road.

Anyway, I went out there last Saturday night (and the weekend before that) and had a wonderful time. Met some lovely people at the East Dulwich Tavern and made a new friend while I was there. Managed to get a dance with a really hot woman too. I'll certainly be going out there regularly from now on... :))

In fact, I was thinking of moving to East Dulwich later this year. So, what's everyone's favourite pubs/bars in the area? Any recommendations for places to go/things to do?

Cheers,

Will

P.S. Have a good Bank Holiday everyone!

????, I think that is one of the worst cases of bullying and rudeness to newbies that so typify this forum. Shame on you.

Your punishment will be to spend the entire Adventure Bar happy hour on mojito night getting down to some pumping drum n bass.

Foxy79 - don't listen to him. Oh, and are you, in fact, Dr Fox?

Foxy, hope you spotted my clever anagram.

When unpicked the above post reads welcome to the EDF, stick around, sit a spell.

I like The Plough for a scoop or two and also favour The Upland on Northcross Road, though it's not on 'the strip' and is not universally popular.

If you want something to read while you're waiting for a hottie to acccost you, Chener Books has a fine selection of literature. Highly recommended.

Cheers.

To be honest Will there are not that many good bars in EDT imo despite the appearance of the "strip". I like the Gowlett, the Bishop and am even coming round to the Magnolia (for a v quiet beer).

Is foxy not a name attributed to a lady rather than a bloke?

CPT. The Palmerston. Franklins (Franklyns?) for the bit at the front, but less so now they've binned their lovely sofa, and for their great draught cider.

But hey, I'm probably at least twice your age so maybe you'd better ignore this :))

Can't believe how spoilt for choice we are now compared to when I moved here in 1991, when there was nowhere I wanted to drink :)

CPT, The Plough, The Clockhouse, Franklins and Hoopers are the places I frequent the most in East Dulwich but I'd also recommend the EDT where you've been already, the Gowlett for excellent pizza and a good vibe, Magnolia, Franklins and The Palmerston for good food and The Herne isn't at all bad either, serves good food and is very child friendly if you've got 'em, not that I have but there you go. The Bishop is also very popular but it's not my cup of tea.

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Is foxy not a name attributed to a lady rather

> than a bloke?

Well, my surname is Fox.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. :)

Went to The Lodge for the first time on Friday (above/next door to the EDT). Thought it was fab - very cool decor, reasonable prices, friendly staff - it's my new fave venue in ED, after the Mag and the EDT. Went to the restauranty bit but had a look in the bar area which was quite lively when we were there. They were playing loads of old indie stuff in the background which was a bonus - sounded like they'd nicked my i-Pod. Not sure it's the kind of place you'd meet loads of hot young chicks, having a bit more of a laid-back feel, but seeing as I'm not (ahem) a very hot young chick any more I'm not sure I can help you find where they hang out. (Actually, the Adventure Bar probably, but do you really want to suffer watered-down cocktails and horrific not-even-funny Euro-pop just for a chance of getting it awn with the laydeez?)

If you feel like a nice, grown up, sophisticated alternative to the 'grime' of e.d. nightlife it might well be worth giving Luca's Bakery up by Moxons a try. It's now open Thursday, Friday and Saturday evening 'til 11pm. They serve wine and beer, and also do lovely Prosecco. In terms of food there are nice cold meat and cheese platters, nuts, olives etc... It's a nice place to share a bottle of wine with a friend if you don't feel like yelling at each other across a beer stained table, or you're not up for queueing at the bar for a good half an hour on a Friday night.

wallerski Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you feel like a nice, grown up, sophisticated

> alternative to the 'grime' of e.d. nightlife it

> might well be worth giving Luca's Bakery up by

> Moxons a try. It's now open Thursday, Friday and

> Saturday evening 'til 11pm. They serve wine and

> beer, and also do lovely Prosecco. In terms of

> food there are nice cold meat and cheese platters,

> nuts, olives etc... It's a nice place to share a

> bottle of wine with a friend if you don't feel

> like yelling at each other across a beer stained

> table, or you're not up for queueing at the bar

> for a good half an hour on a Friday night.

Is this a commerical plug masquerading as a post ?

Hi foxy 69 and welcome to the mostly puzzling but occasionally entertaining world of the ED Forum. Takes a bit of time to work out the "are they serious or just taking the piss?" postings but sure you'll get your bullshit detector up quickly.

My dear departed granny had some simple words of wisdom (as does everyone's granny) which I recommend you follow - 'every pub deserves a pint' - so just try them all and see which fit your mood whenever you're out.

Lordy Lane crawl always entertaining - just do them all in one night - not that many? CPT is my fave "local for locals" pub but not a 'dancing with hot women' kinda place (but sure Dulwich Dave will disagree and recount some dodgy birthday-ropey stripper type occasion). The Vale is good for late on-the-way-home-from-town-bit-pissed-but-just-want-one-more-pint(s) occasions and weekend footy matches (with or without the short trip to the mighty but disappointingly mid-table Hamlet inbetween - has a good cheap-ish bar with panoramic view of the pitch). Even the (often dissed on here) Castle is good if you're ever at a loose end midweek and fancy a random night where you could talk bish-bosh-bash geezer stuff or deep philosophy depending on who's in - in my experience always v. friendly but defo helps if you're good at pool and/or talking bollocks (v. blokey - not one to take a new girlfriend to).

"Never get into a round with a Yorkshireman" was another good bit of granny philosophy (and in my experience true) but happy to have my clearly ridiculous regionalist-prejudiced views challenged by any Yorkshire-born round-buying Forumites?

Anyway - I'm rambling so off now - ED is a good place (and a bit more joined-up than Forest Hill for nights out)- enjoy.....