Bus to Oxford Street

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are thinking of moving to ED in a couple of months. We don't know much about the area but have heard good things about it. Just a transport question - how long does the bus from Lordship Lane take to Oxford Street in peak times (thats where my boyfriend works)?

Thanks

If I was your boyfriend I would get the 176 to the Strand (about 30-45 mins) and walk through Covent Garden to work - about 15-25 mins... it's useful excercise and saves time - in rush hour Trafalgar Sq is very ver unpredictable and can add an extra 30 mins to a journey

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If I was your boyfriend I would get the 176 to the

> Strand (about 30-45 mins) and walk through Covent

> Garden to work - about 15-25 mins... it's useful

> excercise and saves time - in rush hour Trafalgar

> Sq is very ver unpredictable and can add an extra

> 30 mins to a journey

Very true. Sometimes you can breeze through the Strand with no problem at all. Other times, it gets so clogged up with traffic at the western end that the bus driver actually terminates the journey and makes everyone get off.

Except that the bus to Oxford Street currently doesn't actually GO to Oxford St, it only goes to Tottenham Court Road. This will continue until the area around the Astoria is redeveloped for the Cross Rail project, so at least a couple of years!

Obviously if he works at the TCR end, that won't be a problem, but I wouldn't fancy walking the entire length of Oxford St in rush hour twice a day.

here are other alternatives:

Bus 37 to brixton (about 15 min), Victoria line to Oxford Circus.

Bus 363 or 63 to Elephant & Castle (about 25-30 min), Bakerloo line to Oxford Circus

Train from Peckham Rye or Denmark Hill to Victoria (12-15 min), Victoria Line to Oxford Circus

Train from ED or Peckham Rye to London Bridge (12 min), Train to Charing X (abt 8 min) then walk or jump on bus

red devil Wrote:

> You can catch the No. 12 from Barry Road/Peckham

> Rye to Oxford Circus, around 45mins...

I work in Oxford Street and have sometimes tried getting the No.12 home, sadly it's never taken me 45 minutes, more like 60-75 minutes door to door, as the traffic from Whitehall onwards can be awful. I would recommend getting the train to Victoria (from Peckham Rye) or a bus to a tube station (either Oval, Vauxhall or Elephant & Castle) to speed things up!

Not sure whereabouts in ED you're thinking of moving to, but personally I recommend getting a bus to Elephant and Castle and then Bakerloo line to Oxford Circus. This would (all being well) take 45-50 minutes, if you're travelling peaktime which I'm assuming you would be. However, as I'm sure you're aware, tube goes wrong sometimes. Also, traffic on Walworth Road can be appalling. Some posters have suggested alternative bus routes to Elephant and Castle (363 or 63) which don't involve Walworth Road.

If I'm not in a hurry I take the 176, but as I'm normally in a hurry if I need to be at Oxford Circus by 9am, I wouldn't chance it. Unless I allowed one and a half hours. Also, as you will discover if and when you move to ED, sometimes during peak times the buses go by the bus stops without stopping because they are full. I have waited by a bus stop and had 2 or 3 buses go by without stopping on many many occasions. That's why I prefer to get any bus going to E&C, then change.

pearcesa Wrote:

> have sometimes tried

> getting the No.12 home, sadly it's never taken me

> 45 minutes, more like 60-75 minutes door to door

The 12 is awful as it spend 15 mins driving round Peckham. The 176 is much quicker for getting into the west end.

However, I would not recommend either, as they are slow, don't run to a timetable, and tend to make me feel travel sick. I prefer getting a train to London Bridge, then another train to Charing Cross (or hop on the westbound Jubilee line). You can also get trains to Victoria or Elephant from Denmark Hill or Peckham Rye.

Huguenot Wrote:

> Can you still do train to London Bridge and

> Jubilee to Bond Street? Quite quick if I recall

> correctly?

I do this every day from Forest Hill, all good.