Mugging In Melbourne Grove

I came home at 12:30 last night and there were police and tape across the road (the ED station side). I believe it was a stabbing.

Violent crime seems to be occurring more often and closer to (our)home these days.

I heard about five serious screams (female) last night just after I drifted off to sleep. It was horrifying. I live one street away. I was about to phone the police when I heard several ambulances and police cars arrive very very shortly after. Please tell me she is ok. I was up with worry much of the night.

Otto

Just found it was a friend of a friend. She's ok. She was mugged on her way home and she tried to fight him off. The police said she was lucky she was wearing a big coat as the wound was millimetres from her heart. Her hands are pretty cut up too. She's in hospital and very upset and shocked.

That's awful! I hope your friend is better soon, what a terrible experience.

Mugging is cowardly enough but to actually go for attempted murder when the victim puts up a fight! What kind of crazy person was this!!!!!

Where on MG did it happen? I know I and many others use MG as a cut through from the train station!!

Mikecg Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> surrounded by some

> very un savoury places

Well that is London. You can turn from a seemingly nice area into a place where the German?s could do us a favour by carpet bombing it again.

I?m new to this area; are there any places where one would be best to avoid at all times.

No not really but as we are in London you must always be on your guard at night anything can happen and I think that Ladies should never be walking the streets late at night alone becuase they could find themselves in a dangerous situation you never know, It's very bad and a sign of the times.

skidmarks Wrote:

> Mikecg Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > surrounded by some

> > very un savoury places

>

> Well that is London. You can turn from a seemingly

> nice area into a place where the German?s could do

> us a favour by carpet bombing it again.

>

> I?m new to this area; are there any places where

> one would be best to avoid at all times.

Dark alleys

Unlit areas

Quiet, out of the way streets late at night

More as and when I get it

Just saw a policeman walking down Melbourne Grove on my way home from work and stopped and asked him about last night - he was carrying a clipboard with the details written down on it, so guess he was walking around to 'reassure' the local community. He told me it happened at 11.40 last night near the junction with east dulwich road - a man came up behind her and grabbed her bag, there was a struggle and he had a knife. I mentioned the other muggings that have been talked about on the forum and he said they have had a spate of 'street robberies' up the other side of lordship lane recently. He didn't say whether they were connected, but that this was one guy rather than a gang.

I always feel safer getting a train back late at night because you walk down the street with a load of other people (as opposed to being one of the only people getting off the bus) but the timings suggest this was around the time that the 11.18pm would have got in.

P.S. sorry for the redundant post above - was logged in on my boyfriend's account by mistake.

Leah I hope your friend doesn't mind me posting more details, just that I know I wanted to know more about when and how it happened (ridiculous in a way because it doesn't really help you 'stay safer') and thought other people might as well.

Mikecg Wrote:

> think that Ladies should never be

> walking the streets late at night alone becuase

> they could find themselves in a dangerous

> situation you never know,

xxxxxxx

Oh for goodness sake.

I'm very sorry for the person who was stabbed, it was an appalling thing to happen, but you can find yourself in a dangerous situation anywhere, including in your own house, and if you start brooding about all the possible dangers you may encounter in life you'd never do anything or go anywhere.

My sister was knifed, luckily on the hand, years ago in broad daylight when she hung on to a bag someone tried to snatch. Maybe you think "ladies" shouldn't go out at all in London without a companion?

Get a grip!

Having been mugged twice in the area and followed home once as well i can say from personal experience that it can take an awfully long time to feel safe in your own home again. It's unfortunate and yes I agree that you can't dwell on what may happen to anyone but for those who are unfortunate enough to be targeted by criminals in a intimidting manner it can completely take away your sense of security and your independence.

moved to ED in dec 02 from brixton - was delighted to find somewhere calmer

brought in early 04 and sold late last year , thank god. I think ED is going downhill and becoming more like clapham which is full if fools, the sale of the bishop whilst at a high ...kind of links in.

but then as someone has mentioned , its near two shite areas, or 3 if your snobby - peckham , camberwell and forest hill... and it is in south east london which is possibly one of the worst districts of london !

personally think ED 'lovers' should wake up and smell the roses. We are not in chocolate box terittory by a long way !!

really?

Now I apologise in advance from sliding away slightly from this thread subject... a few friends and myself were once in a discussion over feeling safe in a neighbourhood and the general feel was that we'd feel quite comfortable walking round an area, for example, like Brixton late at night, by oneself, compared to somewhere in East Sussex. Mentally prepared or expectant perhaps and so more on guard but surely the general rule is to always be alert when out and about no matter what time of day/night.

Crime happens everywhere. It doesn't make a place less safer than another. It's a shame when it becomes a regular occurence but such is life. This kind of thing wakes you up (if you needed to be rescued from your heavy slumber)