William Blake mural

Thought you might like to see some photographs of progress on remaking the Goose Green 'William Blake' Mural. Stan Peskett and his daughter Georgia, both established artists, have been working with students from Camberwell School of Art (Julie, Miles and Sara) and the children of St John's and St Clement's Primary School, to remake the mural that Stan originally painted fifteen years ago.

Local painter Remi/Rough has also been collaborating with Stan, contributing his own marks and design to the original mural. Remi is a well know urban contemporary artist.

The practicalities of remaking the mural have been organised by Niki Efstratiou in the Southwark Parks Department.

The journalist, David Yuill, from the Southwark News, wrote a piece about the mural in last weeks Southwark News and was planning another article in this weeks paper with a timetable for events on the day of the unveiling.

The official 'unveiling' will take place this Sunday, May 10th, at 1.30 pm as part of the Dulwich Festival activities on Goose Green.

This will include some activities for children in the Goose Green playground from 1pm, with the 'unveiling' at 1.30pm.

Do come along.

nice..........but a real shame that the children of Rye Oak primary were not included, after all the school is named after Peckham Rye where Blakes vision took place and it would have been a valuable push for this school.

Was it the wrong side of the tracks perhaps for some people ? I am sure they could have managed a dual project.

Hold everything. I am sure I read on the previous thread (and I can't find it now) that the blue paint that the council used to paint over the bottom third of the mural, was a paint which could be washed off so as to reveal the original work behind it again, and that the graffiti would be taken off.

Soooo someone told fibs.

Don't think so PeckhamRose.

Admittedly I have a crap memory, but I thought they said it would be repainted with some sort of graffiti-washoffable paint, not that the blue paint could be washed off.

If the blue paint could be washed off, what would have been the point in putting it there in the first place, or am I missing something here?

Someone stood up and explained all this at a Community Council. They said the blue paint was a protective cover paint, and then they would wash itoff, clean the graffiti then cover the mural in a sort of varnish which wouold mean that if there is any more graffiti, it goes straight on the varnish which can be washed off more easily.

This would mean that all of the original mural would be totally as new and clean and fabulous.

I did not make this up! Honest.

(Not taking away from the new work, but it seems that whoever it was told everyone this at the CC was delusional, or maybe they really did believe what they were saying but someone else had other ideas; typical of Southwark Council though.)

So what do we think of the new work?

Me? Not impressed; apologies to everyone who took part, but it looks added on and not part of the original mural at all.

And there's now loads of open blue space for more graffiti to stand out.

The heron looks like a work in progress. The addition does not at all look like a whole mural, just bits and pieces.

Sorry, but that's my opinion.

I agree, as I said a few posts above, but would it not have been better to take the graffiti off the original, protect the original with a varnish (like someone at the council said would happen at the community Council last year), then when it is graffiti'd it will come off easier.

After the council painted the blue on the bottom half of the mural, that was it for the bottom half of the mural. It was a mistake by the council and they have apologised and organised the original artist to repaint the bottom half. I believe it is now going to be painted with a special layered varnish so a layer can be removed if it gets graffiti on it.