Boating on the Lake in Dulwich Park?

The council put up notices last winter inviting tenders from potential suppliers of boating operations, so I don't think either Health and Safety or the wildlife had much say in the matter. It's more likely that the boatyards of Dulwich didn't feel up to the challenge. It's a highly seasonal business and there's not been much winter trade since they turned the Croydon canal into a railway.

I had noticed that the signs for the boating lakes are still evident, and even on line and on the map it says Dulwich Park has a boating lake, but yet no boats!! Last time we had boats they did rope off some of the lake so not all of the wildlife would have got disturbed.

I think they should bring it back, it was fun, I would have thought maybe the people who hire out the bikes would maybe do boats too, least it will boost their income in the summer and spring months!

I have happy childhood memories of those little boats!

Here is what the most recent Friends of Dulwich Park newsletter said:

Jolly boating weather?

The good news is that four operators are interested in offering boating on the lake. The council is assessing the applications and hopes to announce the operator by 30 April, in time for this year's boating season.

There must be a risk that the appointed operator won't get things running till the summer is half gone, but better late than never, I guess.