ED buses in rush hour

I've only been taking the bus from Lordship Lane to Denmark Hill station this last week, but have noticed that the buses are packed and quite often don't stop at bus stops. This is because they are so full already. Meanwhile dozens of people are left waiting at the bus stops for the next bus (which is probably just as full).

Also, there seems to be a long waiting time between buses, sometimes up to 10 minutes between (and this is during the 7 to 9 am rush hour)

With the 185, 176 and 40 buses, surely the wait between buses in rush hour should only be 2 or 3 minutes?

I think this is completely unacceptable!

Sherwick

Sherwick,

What do you think bleating on a web page is going to do, apart from momentarily vent your anger?

Write to your MP. (I have a hunch there'll be more willing than ever to help you), and copy it to the bus operator in question.

I think there have been similar threads in the past Sherwick so you are definitely not alone

Things have become palpably worse since the mayoral changeover a year ago. In my opinion of course

That said I just get an earlier bus than I used to - it's not been a major upheaval

Nero Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sherwick,

> What do you think bleating on a web page is going

> to do, apart from momentarily vent your anger?

> Write to your MP. (I have a hunch there'll be more

> willing than ever to help you), and copy it to the

> bus operator in question.

Mighty oaks from little acorns grow. The worm has turned.

Sherwick.

Sherwick - this morning they seemed to be particularly packed. I agree they seem to be full by the time they get past the Heber Road stop.

The No 40 starts at the Plough and does not full up for a few stops so walk back that way to a stop or if closer it may be an idea to walk to the stop outside ED station where quite a few get off.

But I agree - not enough space generally. ED is not good for public transport - one of the downsides of living here I'm afraid.

By all means register a complaint, but I doubt it will have any impact. We live in a huge, crowded city with very old infrastructure (be it roads, tube, or rail). Generally we all just have to work with what we've got, and try to figure out the best way to get around. Try walking parts of the journey, trying out alternative routes, cycling, even driving.

Brendan Wrote:

> I know. Stupid idea isn?t it? You?ll get all

> sweaty.

Shower at work?

I last got a bus in, oh, I can't remember. Catching the 63 in the morning would send my misanthropy to previously unimagined levels.

Today was particularly bad. I get on around Wood Vale where there's usually not a problem but nothing came between 8am and 8.15 this morning and then the 176 was already packed and didn't stop again after the Harvester unless it was letting people off.

If enough people email TFL with examples of where it's been particularly bad, then they can instigate a route review that checks on frequency and passenger loads. Last year I was told they'd done one in August 08 so one wasn't due again. But that's when the buses are usually at their quietest so probably didn't really reflect the rest of the year.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

>

>

> Things have become palpably worse since the

> mayoral changeover a year ago. In my opinion of

> course

>

>

xxxxxxxxxxx

Yes I agree.

The buses seemed to get a lot better for a while, then they got very much worse again (edited to say, after Boris took over, though that may be coincidence).

In the morning, I go to a stop before the one most convenient for me, just so that I've got more chance of a bus stopping at the stop and then being able to get on it.

But I do feel sorry for the people at the stops it then sails past.

I feel another letter to Tessa coming on :-$

I find the evening rush hour the worse. Coming back to ED is certainly more stressing than leaving (no need for the usual grumpy so and so moaners to comment on ED as an area in relevance to this comment ta).

Buses are certainly even worse (altho more frequent) and it's often a fight to get through all the silly city ppls bags, cases and bodies. What is it wiv ppl who insist on standing right by the doors but make no effort wotsoever to move when ppl try to get off the bus? Many a time getting off at the next stop and walking back on oneself has been a safer option...

The general attitude of passengers seems different... come on we're all trying to get home! <--- does that sound familiar of a morning when we're all "trying to get to work"?

*stopping rambling now*

why fight with the blinkered masses for a space on a bus ?

if you have young kids, take advantage of flexi working hour legislation to go in a bit later

If you dont have kids, "work from home"

if you cant use the above, then take a sickie

Most people really dont need to be in work at such an early hour- most of their time in the workplace is prorcastination anyway - there are too many victims on ED buses - motivated by sick ideas of success and prosperity

and its all utter shit

Lfe is too short for such pointless hassle

you can get another job, you cant get a second chance at life

With respect snorky what do you do for a job, my actual career is very hands on and there is no other way than for me to physically be at my workplace. An income is paramount if you want to be able to run a car house and family what else can be done other than go to work?.

snorky Wrote:

> why fight with the blinkered masses for a space on

> a bus ?

>

> if you have young kids, take advantage of flexi

> working hour legislation to go in a bit later

>

> If you dont have kids, "work from home"

>

> if you cant use the above, then take a sickie

>

> Most people really dont need to be in work at such

> an early hour- most of their time in the workplace

> is prorcastination anyway - there are too many

> victims on ED buses - motivated by sick ideas of

> success and prosperity

>

> and its all utter shit

>

> Lfe is too short for such pointless hassle

>

> you can get another job, you cant get a second

> chance at life

It is all down to economies of scale. You?ll find that all buses and trains are deployed for the peak hours to cope (or not) with demand. Then you?ll find that the buses and trains will be pretty empty off peak and a number will be pulled back to the depot for routine maintenance. It is not efficient for an operator to have buses and drivers sitting idle for 6 hours a day ? you can imagine the accountants star fishes winking already with lots of 100k buses sat there not generating revenue.

• 1 month later...