Red Van Plague

This thread is intended to generate suggestions for ridding E.D. and other parts of South London of the plague of red vans that belong to a certain Mr Terry Kilty.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1050948/Exposed-The-man-menace-rusty-red-vans-blighting-suburbia-ads.html

Arsom is not acceptable (on ecological grounds) but extra points will be awarded for suggestions that are particularly creative, humorous or off-beat.

Avid readers of the EDF might suggest I have an unusually low tolerance for littering, loutishness and the like, but in this case I am neutral. There's no suggestion the vans are not taxed or unroadworthy, so let him park where he wants and make a living. Vehicles that are driven poorly by anti-social drivers and that blast out music are more worthy of our ire, as are fly-tipping, dropping litter and other such uncivil behaviour.

Yet another forumite who hasn't resided here long enough

As a resident of 20yrs (Underhill & Goodrich) I can honestly say that this chaps vehicles do not cause any probs.

As a matter of fact, IMHO they are a design classic _ worthy of a postcard

Guess I've got a sense of humour failure, but these vans are eyesores (and not as amateur/just trying to make a living as they appear). I wouldn't like a billboard opposite my house or a van parked with a huge sign (as these are). If the vans were parked in the normal course of business, that would be fine - but not parked for weeks. There is little enough road space for parking anyway. Not illegal, but bad manners and a bad example. I wouldn't want my house or walls or fences covered in the kind of graffiti that the vans appear to emulate. (I don't much care for the crackhouse aesthetic anyway, which proves how middle-aged I am).

Bob - superb.

On topic: if he's using them as permanent advertising, then he is breaking the law and the council should tow them away. But on the other hand, he annoys the Daily Mail, so on balance I'm on his side.

Sue, I'm glad it's not just me, I thought it was just one van that moved about for ages. I believe it was the good Mr MacGabhann who finally convinced me that it wasn't.

Are people really that bothered by these vans?

I don't really see anything to get upset about.

I am sad enough i noted down some registration numbers and satisfied myself they were not all the same van.. and googled to see if I could find some info about them.

FWIW, there is one by Goose Green usually and one outside Dulwich Village Infants.

So are they a fleet of vans all in operation.. or do only a few of them move and the rest are novel forms of advertising hording?

Well I for one am glad that Red Van Man is making Johnny at the Admirable Crichton cross. I worked for him many years ago and it's the only job I've ever walked away from.

(I too, thought it was just one van that got moved around.. can't believe I'm so naive....)

meccadave Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 10 points if you see one of the vans.

>

> 100 points if you see one in use, with customers.

>

> 1000 points if you see one getting painted.

>

10,000 if you get knocked down by one.