What a pleasant change...

I got knocked off my bike yesterday on East Dulwich road by a guy turning into the converted flats opposite the Jet garage. It's the third time in two years I've been knocked off - the first time the woman who did it didn't even stop and the second time the bloke who did it stopped to scream obscenities at me. This time, though, the guy who knocked me off not only stopped but accompanied me to Balfe's Bikes to pay for the new wheel I needed as a result of the accident, even though he had to go home to get his wallet first.

What a thoroughly decent chap - it's good to have a few experiences like this to restore your faith in human nature.

The guy's a builder and lives locally - if that's an indication of his attitude, he might be worth checking out if you're considering getting some work done. PM me if you're interested - I have his phone number.

Cheers,

Pedro

James you have tickled me on a very horrible day for me, thankyou. Back on topic, it is nice that we can get these sorts of good will stories once in a while, I take my invisible hat off to this unknown man.

Louisa.

James Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I know if I was looking for a builder I would

> definitely want one who had knocked someone off

> their bike.

xxxxxxx

:))

But he did redeem the situation :) Snagging, innit .....

I feel very awkward about things like this. It reminds me of a cyclist who got knocked over some years ago at Camberwell Green (the driver shot a U-turn as the lights changed and clipped the cyclist, who hadn't quite cleared the crossing). As I helped the cyclist up, the driver stopped, and offered to take him and the bicycle to the bike shop.

I objected, but the cyclist took the offer, anyhow. Which was understandable. When I get knocked off a bike, I just want to get the bike sorted and get to wherever I was going. Drivers, naturally, prefer the easy, unofficial option to a stain on their licence or a lump on their premium. The trouble is that injuries don't always show up straight away. And I really don't like motorists getting away with careless driving, however 'decent' they claim to be.

For all I know, the driver was honourable, the bike got fixed and the cyclist never found himself at the bottom of a disused quarry. But, four years on, I still feel uncomfortable about it.