Are rents reducing in ED?

There seems to be a lot of rooms available at the moment in ED. I guess it's a sign of the times with people trying to get a bit of extra income from renting out the spare room.

With surplus supply are landlords finding it is difficult to rent rooms out, and is this driving rent down ?

Are the days when a nice room in ED would fetch ?400-?500 a month a thing of the past ?

Just moved out of the flat I was renting after 3 years.

It is being advertised for less than it was, when I first moved in. It's been on the market for about 6 weeks.

Problem is, that there are seemingly much nicer (ie larger, or in more convenient location etc) coming down in price.

A friend of mine has just been looking to rent in ED. It was made clear that most of the landlords would accept offers on the rent near the asking price, she finally rented a lovely two bed flat for just over ?100 per month less then the rent advertised.

I've never understood the high rents of property in ED. The transport connections into town are pretty dire out of ED compared to other local areas such as Peckham, Camberwell, Brixton et al. I wouldnt pay the overly inflated prices just to have a dingey victorian apartment round here believe me.

Louisa.

Landlord's perspective - new tenants at the end of Feb, had to accept a reduction on rent of around 15%, but previous rent was well above going rate and only had a one week void; on a tracker mortgage so overall probably better off with recent drop in interest rates; I take the view that interest rates will rise when general housing market picks up, and expect rents to rise accordingly...

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've never understood the high rents of property

> in ED. The transport connections into town are

> pretty dire out of ED compared to other local

> areas such as Peckham, Camberwell, Brixton et al.

> I wouldnt pay the overly inflated prices just to

> have a dingey victorian apartment round here

> believe me.

>

> Louisa.

Come on Louisa, it's cos it's a nice area and the fact that Peckham, Camberwell and Brixton are jam packed full of c**ts!

ratty Wrote:

> Come on Louisa, it's cos it's a nice area and the

> fact that Peckham, Camberwell and Brixton are jam

> packed full of c**ts!

Yeah!

And ED has an um, messageboard too!

All of my friends in each of the areas you describe must be idiots!

Look at them, with their broken dreams and their poverty and stuff!

???? Wrote:

> Wheras I spend my whole time at weekends bumping

> into people I've insulted on the EDF

Is it just me who eyes people closely around ED wondering if they are forum posters?

I was in The Gowlett recently and the barman started talking about the EDF and I tried to imagine who he might be on here *waves*

As a reluctant landlord (bought the basement flat below our maisonette when it came on the market to try to ensure that we didn't have to live above a chain smoking heavy metal lover again) we were just barely covering the mortgage with the rent payments last year, and have reduced the asking price by ?100 per month this year. We do expect that even given that people will want to negotiate on rent. Unfortunately we have a fixed rate mortgage for the next couple of years so we'll have to absorb the discrepancy somehow. I'm not complaining as the purchase was our choice, and I'm sure there are many others in the same position trying to cover the mortgage on properties they can't currently sell.