Queues in Somerfield

This place is a farce, every time I go in there I end up furious. Queues halfway up to the back of the shop and the 2 staff on the tills seem to be always faffing around getting lottery scratch cards or having a mothers conference about something or other. You go into any small Sainsbury's or Tesco's in this city and it is like a conveyor belt, long queues are dealt with quickly by the large number of competently staffed payment terminals.

Somerfield on the other hand is a shambles and SHOULD BE FORCED TO IMPROVE OR MAKE WAY FOR A BETTER RUN SUPERMARKET.

discuss.

Lenk, not one to normally post but do think that eater81 has a point and I'm feeling very calm - no risk of aneurysm. We probably spend more time than we need to in that supermarket - 1 use Somerfield near work and never face these queues. It's a local issue so why mock people for expressing concerns ?

Recently queues are really long andslow. Somerfield have a monopoply on LL and I think the area management could ensure staffing levels are adequate. Re shopping elsewhere: where are you suggesting at 7 o'clock onwards - some people getting in from work/ or need to nip out for necessities and need to do a bit of shoppping without having to jump in car, on bus or bike? Why can't LL have an efficiently run supermarket for the busy community? There are enough of us making it a goldmine already.

Don't have an preferance for which supermarket it is but just want that can offer us something more efficiently run.

ps. why do they have that whole aisle dedicated to dodgy ssndwiches, snack packs and pasta salads that always seems to be full due to customers voting with their eyes and not buying - put self-serve tills there ( I know they weren't always working but maybe the technology has moved on a bit since the last attempt).

Just some idle thoughts......

it's true, could go somewhere else, but often in a hurry and don't have time to go the individual shops to get everything i need. however have to agree that somerfield really is utterly sh1te. queued for 40 minutes this week (2pmish, not peak time) with 2 toddlers. oh the fun. but i guess the only way to change things is to not go back until it improves...

wise words.

After a previous stint in Putney I suffered similiar frustrations with Somerfield.

Long queues and over priced, as well as a pants product range. I just don't think Somerfield 'gets' East Dulwich.

When can we get a Sainsbury's Local, M&S or even heaven forbid Waitrose wher ethey tailor their offer to the local populus!?

yours in food snobery.

That's not food snobbery, it's misguided rot. There's a massive fuck-off Sainsbury's on Dog Kennel Hill, 5 minutes from Somerfield.

Anyone with any real notion of what constitutes good food would be thrilled that there's a couple of butchers (albeit one is a van), a fishmongers, a cheese shop, great greengrocery, all the food stuffs you could want and great quality. If you want Waitrose, shop online, or drive to Putney.

And I've always found the queues in Somerfield to move relatively quickly when I have needed to go in there.

eater81 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> At their prices id actually rather go to

> Somerfield! Where's the M and S gonna be by the

> way?

The existing Somerfield is moving to near The Plough (Barry Road) while the new M&S is going to take the place of where Somerfield currently is.

Apparently...

lenk Wrote:

> Poster on ED forum has aneurysm over supermarket,

> could shop somewhere else, decides to post on

> forum instead

Person reads small, local suburban forum. Surprised by mundanity of local issues discussed. Was secretly hoping for something more interesting such as celebrity dogging in the area, or somesuch. ;-)

Kind of agree though, OP should go to Sainsburys.

...why did I click on a link titled 'Queues in Somerfield' again???? :-S

AlfieNoakes Wrote:

> lenk Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Poster on ED forum has aneurysm over

> supermarket,

> > could shop somewhere else, decides to post on

> > forum instead

>

> Person reads small, local suburban forum.

> Surprised by mundanity of local issues discussed.

> Was secretly hoping for something more interesting

> like as celebrity dogging in the area, or

> somesuch. ;-)

>

>

> Kind of agree though, OP should go to Sainsburys.

>

> ...why did I click on a link titled 'Queues in

> Somerfield' again???? :-S

If I was going to start a dogging thread I?d hide it behind something innocuous like ?queues in somerfield? so as not to arouse suspicion.

Hence why I clicked on this one.

I?ve scanned it for ?dogging code?, but so far, nothing : (

Sherwick Wrote:

> eater81 Wrote:

> -----

> > At their prices id actually rather go to

> > Somerfield! Where's the M and S gonna be by

> the

> > way?

>

> The existing Somerfield is moving to near The

> Plough (Barry Road) while the new M&S is going to

> take the place of where Somerfield currently is.

> Apparently...

Utter bollox.

It's actually another well known brand that is branching out to Lordship Lane to take over at the existing Somerfield site, namely 'Harrods Food Hall'

Sorry RosieH, I understand JS is up the road...

This is for those that want a convienient local shop (those without a car) open after normal hours in the week 6-10pm and for a reasonable price. Tesco Local isn't central, Budgens is Budgens and the local Butchers and Fishmongers are accessible for working people only on a Saturday... oh and another queue debate! :)

matthew123 Wrote:

> Sherwick Wrote:

> -----

> > eater81 Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > At their prices id actually rather go to

> > > Somerfield! Where's the M and S gonna be by

> > the

> > > way?

> >

> > The existing Somerfield is moving to near The

> > Plough (Barry Road) while the new M&S is going

> to

> > take the place of where Somerfield currently

> is.

> > Apparently...

>

> Utter bollox.

>

> It's actually another well known brand that is

> branching out to Lordship Lane to take over at the

> existing Somerfield site, namely 'Harrods Food

> Hall'

Not Waitrose then?

:(

RosieH Wrote:

> If you

> want Waitrose, shop online, or drive to Putney.

Beckenham Junction Waitrose is nearer. Far more pleasant in there on a Sunday afternoon than the hell hole that is Sainsburys.

KateW Wrote:

> RosieH Wrote:

> -----

> > If you

> > want Waitrose, shop online, or drive to Putney.

>

> Beckenham Junction Waitrose is nearer. Far more

> pleasant in there on a Sunday afternoon than the

> hell hole that is Sainsburys.

There's also one at Clapham Junction now.